Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
On a happier note, here's my new island!

Posted by sanjuangirl (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 27, 13 at 11:58

While I'm waiting for the flooring guys and hopefully answers about my shoe molding. Here's my new island that was installed yesterday.

I bought this slab a year ago last February so it's been a long wait. I choose my entire kitchen from memory and a couple of photos of the slab so you can imagine how nervous I was to see it come in as the last element of a basically (except for the floor) finished kitchen.

I'm happy to report that I love it and think it's the perfect compliment to pull my other elements together. I'm happy. My friend came in and announced that she wanted to live inside of the fabulous piece of the rock that looks like abalone.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: On a happier note, here's my new island!

Here's another shot!

o

Here's the original slab. (Sorry, I can't get more than one photo in a post)

All of the dark spots in the slab were completely translucent when the sun was behind it.

o

That is a long time! It's gorgeous!

o

Holy C*** - that is one gorgeous piece of rock. No wonder you love it.

o

That is gorgeous! I can see why you've waited a year to install it! What kind of granite is it?

o

That is a beautiful stone!

o

Oh, that's beautiful!
What kind of stone is it? I love the white space around all those facet-y pieces.

o

Oh my word, that is drop dead gorgeous!!! Just saw your other post about your new floors as well. You are one lucky girl. :) Can't wait to see the finished reveal.

o

Really nice!

o

Thank you from my pretty stone!

The stone is called Alpinus and I was told it's a Quartzite. I picked it for it's color and beauty alone, I didn't do any tests at all to see if it etches or stains. I had never heard of Quartzites having issues before I read Beekeeperswifes tales of problems with her fabulous quartzite. By then I had already purchased this huge slab. I was told that it was harder than granite and impervious to everything at the slab yard where I bought it.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed and will let you know what happens when we put it into action.

o

sanjuangirl-
That is gorgeous- I love that it has so much movement in it that it is probably one of a kind. I posted a couple shoe molding pictures in your other post too.

1pandora

o

Gloriosky!!!

o

QUICK, slap the Saran Wrap on it, and no one will know!!

Beautiful!!!

Nancy

o

Too funny Nancy!

So far everyone that's seen it can't stop touching the section that looks like the inside of abalone shells. It's quite amazing looking, unfortunately we lost about 5 inches during fabrication since its so brittle in that section. Fortunately they were able to get enough to do the laminated edges.

Thank you for your kind comments :)

o

Beautiful mother nature right in your own house. And that edge! Quadruple ogee? Love the color of the base with it.

Very lovely.

o

Zowie - that is absolutely stunning!!!
Bee can tell you where to get a plastic shell if it has any etching issues - but I am sure it won't.
I just want to come and touch that beautiful piece of stone!!!
At least some things are going OK!!
Hang in there!!

o

And this is why natural stone will never go out of style. One of kind. Beautiful.

o

Can you send the other half of that gorgeous rock to me...I want to frame it and hang it!

o

What material and color is your flooring?

o

oo la la! What a beauty. Love the "other" parts of the kitchen, too!

o

Ooo. That's so pretty! Really a stand out island top.

o

Oh my heavens that is absolutely drop dead gorgeous! Truly one of the most striking slabs I have seen. It is so wonderful to have that beautiful piece of nature in your home!

o

It is beautiful. I went through about 10 homes this year that were part of the Luxury Home Tour in Minneapolis and surrounding suburbs and the builders were definitely getting more daring in their choice of granites. I just loved that the kitchens featured exotic granites instead of playing it safe!!! You have a lovely slab!!

o

Great work! I too (from Minneapolis) chose a crazy, bold stone and agree with all of the above comments. Mother nature on display and yours forever. Humans are not capable of making stones like this, nor should they try. Work with the imperfections, like a true artist staring down their marble block. I feel the counter, lights and the backsplash are the only real choices where people can make a statement about their tastes. Make it count.

o

Wow! It's beautiful!!! Can't wait to see it all together :)

o

oh my goodness, that's gorgeous! Wow! Love, love, love it!

We definitely know who the star of the show is in your kitchen!

Enjoy!

o

Thanks I'm excited about finishing. Tomorrow will be the beginning of week 14. Tired of living and eating out of the garage!

The edge is called a Cove DuPont. My fabricator has never done one before and I have only seen photos of it, never in person. I'm happy with how it came out.

I love the comments about having Mother Nature in my kitchen! That's why I love going to slab yards, where I live, the best slab yards are close to Disneyland, I feel like I'm in stone Disneyland whenever I walk into a yard. The variations in the slabs are so amazing that I could spend all day there.

Your counter is gorgeous Will2kz! It's stunning.

Ginger25,, right now my floors are busted up concrete, hopefully tomorrow they will be hickory. The installers showed up at 2pm yesterday instead of 8:30 am like I'd been told. Hopefully they will show up on time in the morning!

Here's my island at breakfast!

o

Love it!

So many stone yards in Anaheim! Could you tell me which one you purchased from?

Thanks!

o

Kitchen, I bought it from Bedrosians

o

WOW, that is fantastic! I'm a bit stumped as to exactly what it is, but it's not quartzite. I think it's a blend of feldspar and quartz. The grey, glassy, translucent parts are quartz I think. The white parts are feldspar. It might be a "pegmatite" which is an igneous rock that forms with giant crystals. Either way, it's a very cool rock which you have integrated beautifully in your kitchen. Well done!

o

Wow. Makes me think of the veins of a leaf. Very cool stone.

o

Wow. Makes me think of the veins of a leaf. Very cool stone.

o

Thanks for weighing in Karin! I love hearing from our own personal expert!
Do you think the fern pattern was made by pressure and the fern was embedded in it? It looks exactly like a fern frond.

o

It totally does look like a fern, but it isn't. Sorry! This rock formed at temperatures and pressures that would wipe out fossils. But, the cool thing is that the fern pattern is a very common pattern in nature. It is a fractal pattern, meaning it occurs at scales from microscopic to so large you can only see it from an airplane. In geology you see tiny little fern patterns called dendrites in rocks, and then you see stream networks that have the same pattern. So in your rock, there is some 'reason' why that pattern is there. Nature likes that pattern! What a great find you've got there!

o

Wow - that's a work of art. Awesomely beautiful!!!

o

Thanks Karin.

I'm going to learn that word for word so I'll sound smart when people ask if its a fossilized fern!

o

I love your stone, be it quartzite or feldspar. Thanks to Karin, I have a new word to look up. How I wish I ha Karin down here in FL!

Is this Bedrosians related to the Boston clan who sell Oriental rugs

o

Yikes, that is beautiful. What a wonderful centerpiece in your new kitchen!

o

Yay! Had coffee at my island for the first time! Floors are in and the end is in sight!

o

My Corgi is trying to find her place in the new kitchen. I love the sound of her feet on the wood!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here