Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mindimoo1

Pendant lights - think I found them....rmkitchen opinion?

mindimoo
15 years ago

After months of searching, I think I found pendant lights we can love. They aren't exactly what we wanted, but they are really cool, have a bright sparkly light, a little modern and a little traditional.

Thinking we will do the bronze finish on wire/cable and freejack mount. That way, they won't compete with the black cabinets and will tie in with the ORB finish elsewhere in the house and on the faucets....

Fixtures are by Wilmette Lighting www.wilmettelighting.com :

{{!gwi}}

Comments (20)

• malhgold
    15 years ago

Love them!!!

• igloochic
    15 years ago

those are really cool :) I love cool lighting almost as much as I love cool knobs...and those would catch my eye too!

• caligirl_cottage
    15 years ago

I love them! I want them!
    *scurrying off to check them out*

• janran
    15 years ago

I love them. I've been shopping pendants obsessively for the past week and should have considered these. ...more buyer's remorse ;)

• rmkitchen
    15 years ago

Mindi -- I've missed you! But you've been too busy to miss us -- you found these great pendants. I love them. They're exactly as you described: they're traditional in shape but modern in make-up, so they'll really be able to bring all those elements together in your modern-meets-traditional kitchen. (and honestly, no pressure, but I can't wait to see more of your kitchen!)

I esp. like the way this pendant has the modern ribbed feature of that yummy Damasco pendant you showed before, but in a more traditional shape. Really, you did good!

Last month while goofing around online I found some pendants (for you) which were close but not close enough (too twee and rough [meaning loving-hands-at-home, not artisan-hands-at-home]) on etsy. But you have all these amazing sources, Mindi, that if I ever need lighting I am coming straight to you. Straight to you!

On a personal (okay, selfish) note: Ruffin is walking! When he awoke from his nap 6/22 he just walked, and walked, and walked some more. Mindi, he is a walking fiend now! He makes Frankenstein look a bit light on his feet but to my eyes, he is pure grace in motion. Just typing this out I am getting all teary! What a sucker I am ....

Our kitchen is practically done. But it's those last two things which are keeping me from posting "finished kitchen" photos. I hope they're done in 2008. Just kidding! They'd better be done by the end of July or I'm taking names, starting with my husband's. (He's holding us up on one -- mounting his tivo. Honestly!)

How are you all doing? Is your son having a fun summer? I'm so happy you found these pendants!

-Brooke

• redroze
    15 years ago

Wow, those are so nice!!! I love the mix of traditional and contemporary, and they look great in the traditional kitchen that they're in. Good choice.

• mindimoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks all for confirming my choice...mahgold, igloochic, caligirl_cottage, janran, redroze -you all make it so much simpler than diving off the deep end alone!

Brooke, That is fantastic news about Ruffin, I bet he looks awesome cruising around!...You made me get teary eyed reading your post! How's your older son/rest of the family enjoying summer? I've missed you too!

Thanks for your "hand/mouse holding" during the search for the darn pendants...I'm back to considering them in the brushed nickel to go with the stainless stuff, but I promise to get them ordered next week. Decisions, decisions! We are down to the pendants, a trim kit on backorder for the beverage center, a small drywall touch up on the ceiling in front of the cabinet crown and a scribe moulding under the island. Really very minor stuff most people don't even notice any of them. I did take a few pictures today, so I could post them, but I'm not feeling ready.

My DH decided he wanted to try out some of our old collectibles from our "diner" style kitchen at our old house, like the old chrome push button juke box radio, etc. While it looks great - especially the addition of color, I'm not sure if it doesn't bring it back a notch from what was in my head. I was planning on some plain white Portugese pottery above the hood cover, but I also think we could go back and forth when we feel the need to change. Sorry to digress here, but I know what you mean about the pictures!

Anyway, thanks to all who posted, I truly appreciate every word of input! -Mindi

• mindimoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Brooke- I forgot you asked about our summer, it's going well! I'm not too busy with work and the weather has finally turned for the better, thankfully! And, we just returned from a wonderful weeks vacation at the Oregon Coast. However, I can't hardly believe that I'm going to be alone tomorrow all day for the 4th. My son is headed to the grandparents and DH is going dirt bike riding with buddies! Of course both will return in time for the fireworks. Yikes, what will I do with myself?

How is summer in the Rockies? Have you experienced the bad storms that are all over this year? Are you well away from any of the wildfires? You'll have to keep me updated on all the goings on!

• Jean Popowitz
    15 years ago

just wanted to add my two cents... those pendants are spot-on. Sorry I didn't see them!

• malhgold
    15 years ago

Mindimoo - I can't tell you how excited I am that you posted these. I too am planning black cabinets with a mixed feel of contemporary and traditional. These are going to be perfect! I hope you don't mind me copying you. It's so much easier when someone else has done the "legwork"...LOL!!!

Can't wait to see your finished pics!!! Enjoy your day off. I have the day off as well. DD is coming home later today from a teen tour to Boston and DH and DS are going to see the Red Sox vs. Yankees game. I'm going shopping!!

• malhgold
    15 years ago

Any suggestions for a chandelier???? LOL!!! Seems like we have very similar taste.....

• mindimoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

malhgold...you want cool chandeliers? Check out rmkitchen on some of her postings during construction! Those are gorgeous! Wilmette does have some chandeliers too.

I just posted a picture on another thread who was asking about my marble, so, if you want a peak before it's really done....

PS remember the comments about the 50's memorabilia!

Here is a link that might be useful: not 100% but close

• mindimoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

malhgold - I forgot to say, HAVE FUN SHOPPING! Your DH & DS couldn't find anything more All American to do today - that's great!

I didn't even think about the malls being open for the holiday! The only shopping I've done lately is for the kitchen! My big excitement was going to be taking the dogs to the park and picking up some fresh raspberries at a local farm! Oh yeah, and maybe going out to get that cool "compost crock" that I think Buehl was talking about - or was that Bluekit?

Happy 4th of July Everyone! Isn't it great to live in a country that gives us the freedom to be TKO?

• boxiebabe
    15 years ago

mindimoo: I just looked at the other thread to find your pic. WOWIE! The sneak pic of your kitchen, looks AWESOME! The cabinets are fab, and that hood cover you used your McGyver skills on is GREAT!
    One comment on your lights - I think they'll look wonderful as is with the silver-ish handles on your cabinets... but only you can decide. I'm sure you'll do a mock hang up of them when you get them and decide what's best. Can't wait to see them hung up for real in your kitchen - and see to the rest of your kitchen!

• rmkitchen
    15 years ago

I just popped online as a cool-down treat to msyelf (I've been in the backyard doing touch-up paint [with my four year-old's "help"] where we had doors installed [where just windows once were]) and HOLY COW what a treat it is, Mindi, to get to see that teaser picture.

YES to the brushed nickel finish for the pendants. While I understand your thinking about the bronze finish, I think the brushed nickel will just "make better sense" with all the silvery finishes you have (hardware, appliances).

I love the red accents in your kitchen. I was just using this analogy the other day ... who was it? Anyway, you know how the teeny slice of colored matt board can totally make a picture POP? That's how I feel about your red accents: they just make all the other elements sing -- your insanely fabulous marble, your black cabinets, your pewter hardware, your stone backsplash.

You have got to have tons of dinner parties so you can tell people the hood story -- it is great! (I mean, in addition to showing everyone the entire kitchen. What I wouldn't give to live in the Northwest so I could be invited, too!)

I am really so impressed with and excited by your beautiful space. What a wonderful way to start your summer .... Enjoy those raspberries!
    -Brooke
    xo

• malhgold
    15 years ago

rmkitchen - Mindimoo suggested I ask you for chandelier suggestions? Thanks!!

mindimoo - not sure where your "nickname" came from, but my mother calls my DD "maddiemoo". No idea why!!!

• mindimoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks boxiebabe! I'm leaning towards the brushed nickel all of the sudden! Your comments help!

Brooke: Stay out of the heat and stop working, it's a holiday for goodness sakes! Have a glass of iced tea and relax! Thanks for the heaps of praise, it means a lot coming from someone whose taste I so admire! Don't forget, you are welcome in my kitchen anytime you are in the vicinity! Kisses to your 4 year old for helping mommy in the heat!

Malhgold - the nickname came years ago (late 80's) from a friend/co-worker of my DH, probably on some camping trip. He just started calling me it and I would have possibly been offended, but I was only about a size 5/6 at the time. (however, it might be a slight bit more fitting title these days :-)) I think he just liked how it sounded. One of my DH's other friends calls me Mindesota (again, still to this day). Maybe we were big party-ers back then and they just sounded funny to everyone..., if we were, I don't recall it! Several years ago I was trying to figure out a screen name for some site, I just thought of it, so there ya go. Not a very exciting story, but a story all the same!

HAPPY AND SAFE 4th TO ALL!

• boxiebabe
    15 years ago

Hey! I live in the PNW!

• mindimoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey boxiebabe!

I'm in Is'quah - how 'bout you?

• chipshot
    15 years ago

Those are very nice. We need something with a bit more downward projection and want one larger-diameter fixture. I found the light at the link below (sorry, I forgot how to post images), and it's presently our best candidate. Has anyone here installed Philippe Starck lights in their home? They're expensive, and I'm hoping their quality is commensurate

Here is a link that might be useful: Philippe Starck Romeo Moon S2

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville