Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
odiegirl13

Red Range with Stainless Hood?

Christine Clemens
13 years ago

I was pretty set on a red range with a red wall hood until I saw a picture of a wall chimney and kind of fell in love with that style. (Probably going with the Capital Culiniarian instead of my previous Bluestar pick) . I have never seen a painted wall chimney but on the other hand I am wondering how a red range will look with a stainless hood. My visualization skills are lacking.

I guess this is my signal flare to boxerpups.

Comments (36)

• skoo
    13 years ago

Have you seen redrange's kitchen? Not a stainless hood, but a red Bluestar range with red Modernaire hood:

Here is a link that might be useful: Redrange's kitchen pics

• Christine Clemens
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I love her kitchen and her hood is amazing. I guess I have never seen a painted wall chimney but maybe the style does not matter? Do you think a painted range needs a painted hood?

• sayde
    13 years ago

Not necessarily. There is stainless trim around the knobs and the top even on a painted range. I think a stainless hood would look fine with a painted range like the Blue Star or CC. (In fact that's what I'm planning, whether I go stainless or painted on the range.) I think you're fine either way. If your kitchen space is big enough, as Red Range's is, you can handle the double punch of red plus red. But I think you need a lot of space around it. Otherwise, may-be keep the strong color more local to the range. If it were a more neutral color like black or white, you could probably use more of it in a smaller space. JMO.

• Christine Clemens
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Maybe the switch to the Culinarian is throwing me off??? I think I might prefer it in stainless. Ah, who knows. It is probably just my totally indecisive brain.

I drives me crazy that one little decision could throw me so completely off track.

• marthavila
    13 years ago

As you may know, I have a red range with a red painted hood but I am definitely of the opinion that you can do a painted range with a stainless hood. The only reason why I didn't go that route myself is because I didn't want stainless appliances (all the other appliances besides the hood and range are integrated and paneled.)

BTW, my kitchen is pretty small. So, I don't necessarily think that you need a large kitchen in order to have the double punch of red. IMHO, it's what else is in the space and how it's configured that makes the difference.

• Christine Clemens
    Original Author
    13 years ago

How in the world did I forget about your kitchen marthavila? Can you post a pic or two? I just need to see it put together.

I went back and looked at redrange's pics on FKB. Those pics sure are drawing me back toward the Bluestar.

• bostonpam
    13 years ago

I have a red BS range and a cherry cabinet hood (prestige fan and blower insert). I think a stainless would look fine too since the range has a lot of that too. I wanted to "hide" most of my modern appliances and only have minimal ones showing (frig, range, sink) for my old house.

• colickyboy
    13 years ago

i had the same dilemma and ended up going with stainless hood instead of red hood. the primary reason was that if i had a red hood, we'd need to get another red range if this one for whatever reason died...whereas if i had a stainless hood, i could replace the red range with whatever color range (or SS range) i wanted. in fact, one reason we went with the BS range was that it's flexible/modular enough that we could swap out the red panels for SS panels if we ever wanted to (sweet tip from buffalotina).

anyway, here's a photo of our red range with stainless hood. (sorry...the kitchen is still obviously unfinished and a big mess.) the red BS range is topped with SS so unlike, say, an red AGA which is completely red, i think the red BS range transitions well from a SS hood.

• John Liu
    13 years ago

Based on colickyboy's photo, I'd say a red range with stainless hood would look pretty gosh darned good!

• Christine Clemens
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow! That looks amazing. That is one beautiful kitchen. (Which color is your Bluestar?) Thank you so much for the pic.

That is a really good point about having to buy another range down the road. Maybe I will grown tired of red and want to make a switch. I also see sayde's point about the transition from the stainless on the top of the range.

The added expense of the painted hood is also a factor at this point. Right now, every penny counts.

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

ooohhh being a red freak I think SS hood would look divine.

• marthavila
    13 years ago

Here is mine.

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

Sounds like it will look great. We have a white Fivestar range and the hood is a stainless steel Broan.

• buffalotina
    13 years ago

Here is a picture of my BLUE Bluestar with the stainless hood. I really like the stainless hood in this case, and I deliberately chose it so that if I ever have to change the range out I will not be stuck changing the hood too. I also think that having the blue up there would have dominated the kitchen too much and made too much of a statement in my case. I think over the Bluestar the stainless looks good, but I agree that over the Aga the colored hood looks great because there is not that stainless "transition" on the range.

Good luck!!!

{{!gwi}}

• Christine Clemens
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Another wow! What can I say marthavila. Gorgeous range and hood.

This is not getting any easier because now I know both ways will look good. Egad! Now I will have to make a decision for myself. :(

This is the style range hood I am thinking of using. I have an "L" shaped range and sink wall. I felt like the chimney style would open up the space a bit.

• buffalotina
    13 years ago

I must say I think I would like the chimney hood in stainless even better - it is a more modern style of hood and I don't think it lends itself to color as much as the wonderful barrel hoods do. Just my opinions. Good luck!!

• Christine Clemens
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks buffalotina. I was wondering if the style would be a factor. I don't really have a big space and I was thinking that the red might be too much of a statement for my kitchen (and my personality).

Love your BLUE Bluestar!

• marthavila
    13 years ago

I'm thinking you should probably go with the stainless. You have to really have it in your heart and soul to want that red as a statement color (which it will be if you go with it on both the range and hood, I think). I mean, you've got to be able to walk into your kitchen 24-7-365 and feel good when you eye that double punch of red, you know? I also think you've got to be confident enough in that choice that you're not simultaneously worrying about how that color will impact appliance replacement decisions or resale value either.

From what I'm gathering, you like red. You really do. And you like it enough to have it for your range. But I don't get that you're in love with the concept of having it for both the range and hood in your kitchen. (Maybe in Marthavila and Redrange's kitchen but not so sure about Odiegirl's? LOL!) That hesitation is telling. Unless you find yourself coming back to red/red despite all the other voices in your head to the contrary. . . I say don't do it! Stainless will be much safer and will go beautifully as well.

• Christine Clemens
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Whew! I feel better. A designer friend was pushing me to "go for it" but like you said marthavila, something was telling me "no".

I want to thank all of you for your help with this. It seems like such a silly thing to get stressed out about but getting stressed out seems to be my specialty lately. I know, I know... just wait 'til I start ripping out my kitchen. LOL!

• marthavila
    13 years ago

Getting stressed out over kitchen reno decisions is not silly at all. As a matter of fact, it's a requisite characteristic of being TKO! Think you might like red for your new kitchen? Try lotsa red wine! LOL!

• cheri127
    13 years ago

Another painted range with a stainless hood.

• Christine Clemens
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Is that a Modernaire hood cheri127? Gorgeous! Your range is lovely. I could look at that all day!

• skoo
    13 years ago

Like marthvila, I don't have a large kitchen and did opt to go for color on both the range and the hood. But I do think stainless would look great over a colored range, and was what we were originally thinking of when hood shopping.

Here's an old pic of our setup - BlueStar range/Modernaire hood in Ocean Blue with stainless trim to tie things together:

• marthavila
    13 years ago

Wow, Skoo. I think your range/hood combo looks purrfect!!

• Christine Clemens
    Original Author
    13 years ago

skoo - that is a great looking hood.

All these gorgeous hoods!

• cheri127
    13 years ago

Thanks, Odiegirl. Yes, it is a Modernaire. I love Skoo's solution and think it would look great in red, but as Sayde says, you'll want to make sure there's not more red in the hood than the range. Btw, I LOVE the Capitol Culinarian. It's such a killer when new, wonderful things come out after your remodel!!!!

• Christine Clemens
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I think I am sticking with the Culinarian and a Prestige hood. I was trying to slash my budget a bit but I can't seem to find another range that I really like. The only other ranges I really like are the Berta's but I think I will be disappointed with the oven size. I guess I could go really cheap and upgrade later but the upgrade would probably never happen.

You guys sure made me feel better.

• rhome410
    13 years ago

Looking at all the pics, I'm not sure I'd like that chimney style hood as well in color. Everyone has made a great point about replacing one vs replacing both, and I also think Sayde's point about the amount of red on the range is something to consider...You don't want the hood to steal the attention or have more visual weight than the range. One other thing, if there is a chance you'll ever move, you might want to take your fantastic red range with you and put a stainless one in for selling...?

• Christine Clemens
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks rhome. I think that is what was bugging me all along when I switched hood styles. I just could not see that hood painted. The Culinarian has more stainless than the Bluestar, right? So going stainless is probably safer ( and cheaper).

Hey, I never thought about taking my range with me! Good idea. The freestanding Liebherr I bought is definitely coming with me wherever I go. (I wonder if they let you bring a fridge to the retirement home).

• rhome410
    13 years ago

LOL. Maybe the fridge could go to the retirement home, but probably not the Culinarian! ;-) Unless you just want it to look at and not fire up...

• skoo
    13 years ago

Ha! We've already talked about the "what if we move, would we take the range with us"? I think we'll take the range AND the hood if we can (the range was DH's major splurge item, the hood was mine)!

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

Skoo, love that you did white subway tile with natural stained cabs. Looks great.

We moved twice and took our range with us. Not terribly fancy, but it was a $2k Kenmore Elite, and was worth a lot for us. Also took hood and fridge. We used ABF to move...had the biggest truck and that cost us $2k, so it was definitely worth it to us.

• cookingguru
    13 years ago

odiegirl13 - Take a look at this. If you go to the BlueStar website they have dealer display pictures. Basco Appliances in Portland, OR have a 36" BlueStar Red Range with a matching 36" BlueStar Chimney hood in red. Looks great.

Here is a link that might be useful: BlueStar Dealer Locator

• gbsim1
    13 years ago

Martha and Colickyboy.... are your hoods both Modenaire?

Odie, I don't think you can go wrong either way.... it's just what you like!!!

• marthavila
    13 years ago

Yes, Gbsim. My hood is a Modernaire (PS 26.) And, although I can't say it with 100% certainty, I'm pretty darn sure Colickboy's is a Modernaire hood as well!

Sponsored
Wheeler Architects
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Alexandria Architecture Firm Focused on Thoughtful, Functional Style