Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
remodelfla

We go to buy our IKEA cabs this morning and then....

remodelfla
13 years ago

we find out they discontinued Nexus Yellow Brown. Are you kidding me?! We finally after going back and forth and forth and back; decided on the slab and the color was what we wanted. So... DH has decided (and me kinda too) that he much prefers the slab look to the Shaker look. I like both really; but prefer the notion of no grooves to clean and the clean look of slab.

So I'm off to call Scherrs and one other place (Advantage I think... would look back over my saved stuff but my Mac crashed again). I'm leaning toward Lyptus, QS White Oak, I really like the premium QS white oak but it's a 35% upcharge. Gonna call and see... Geesh, never easy.

Comments (28)

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

Geesh! They don't have it at all? Wow...sorry to hear this. Good luck finding something you like.

• jakabedy
    13 years ago

Seriously? We were at the Atlanta IKEA this last weekend and I saw that the black-brown was being discontinued. But the yellow-brown, too?

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yep... they are coming out with a newer black-brown that's a little more brown then the exisiting black brown but there will be no replacement for the yellow brown. THey had too much trouble with the different vendors and they were coming in in different colors.

• Christine Clemens
    13 years ago

I am so, so sorry. I am glad it happened before you got halfway in. I hope you find something you really love. Best of luck.

• davidro1
    13 years ago

new colors and styles are viewable this week on ikeafans.com

The Shaker look is lighter weight than slab. It can be easy to copy if need be (decades from now). With a slab, you see the differences in edging and finishing

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    13 years ago

david... I saw the new IKEA colors/styles; not what we want. Are you saying that if I order my door/drawer fronts for Scherrs (and I choose slab)that I'll have an issue with the edging? I'm not exactly clear on what you mean. Sorry if I'm dense but I've been on the phone with a few times and the edge profiling thing is confusing me so my brain is a little overloaded right now.

• prill
    13 years ago

are you still getting the boxes from Ikea? If so, be very careful that you get everything you want and ordered. My daughter had more problems with them leaving things out. Double check your order and your boxes before you leave the store if you live any distance from the Ikea store and don't want to drive back. They left the rails off of her upper cabinet order twice. The 2nd time we specifically told the sales person not to forget the rails. Sure enough she did. Wouldn't you think those rails would just come with the upper cabinets since you need to use them...!!! But no, you have to ask for them. It makes no sense to me.

Good Luck E!! Hope you find some great doors you like even better.

• davidro1
    13 years ago

remodelfla there are other people more qualified than I am to explain edging and woodworking concepts. I don't have the right vocabulary to explain "wood" turns of phrase. Also, my view may be oversimplified. Someone else will be of greater help.

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We are definitely getting IKEA boxes. We didnt' want to pick them up today until we were certain of what we're going to do in terms of the drawer/door fronts. I just fowarded my into to Scherrs and asked for quote in a slab style in both Lyptus and Premium QS white oak. Based on the quote; we'll get samples. I also put a call into IKEA corporate to see if there's availabilty of Nexus yellow-brown to be shipped from some main warehouse. My only concern with that if there was a problem with any of the fronts and then there were no more available to replace them.

• davidro1
    13 years ago

I bought Askome at full price knowing this line would be discontinued. i bought extra pieces.

• rexem
    13 years ago

Yes - seriously make sure you inspect everything. It sounds like you aren't buying doors but just so you know, I bought 4 Nexus brown black doors, and all 4 were damaged. So frustrating. And, their delivery service (at least in the NJ/NYC area) is terrible so plan to pick up the drawers yourself. Familiarize yourself with the shipping list by comparing it to the items listed in the back of the kitchen catalogue, as everything will be listed a la carte. Think about things like shelves - they may not make it on your itemized list or with your order. With all that said, though, still was glad I went to IKEA. So don't get scared away.

• bmorepanic
    13 years ago

Hi hon,

Scherrs has two sorts of slab doors - solid and veneer. The veneer doors are very Italian modern looking to me. I believe Nexus yellow-brown was veneered.

Slab doors aren't made of a solid piece of wood. Boards of varying widths are joined together to make up the slab. What david is referring to is that when you look at the top and bottom of a solid slab door without stain, you see the divisions of the boards that made up the slab.

With a veneered door, the edges are also veneered and so look like a solid board.

This is my 18" wide trash pullout full height door. The center panel is a slab made up out of multiple pieces. This is Scherr's premium cherry - a much wilder grain than you're contemplating. I could have had the grain run top to bottom or all side to side, but I chose doors to be vertical and drawers to be horizontal. The center panel is made up out of 4 boards.

sigh I take realllly bad pictures!

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the heads up on checking the order... I've been forwarned!

Hi Bmore... I spent some time chatting with Scherrs. The drawer/door we'll get samples of is the solid wood because the two wood species we're most interested in does not come in the veneer. We figure... if we're going to go with non IKEA fronts; we might as well get exactly what we want even if it means the process will just take longer (to save up more $$). Keeps evolving!

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We got the quotes from Scherrs. Obviously more expensive the IKEA but not outside the realm of possibility. I'm ordering the samples of each. I can't wait to see what they look like.

Bmore... I forget... did you use IKEA boxes too? We've probably already had this conversation but I'm getting forgetful in my old age!

• bmorepanic
    13 years ago

Yup. If you get the white oak, I'll be jealous. :) I love that wood but dh doesn't.

• chicagoans
    13 years ago

Sorry to hear about that. I love the look of Lyptus - lovely grain and it satisfies my yearning to be more green. (We didn't end up with it though... it was pricey where we found it.)

Good luck!

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The premium QS white oak looks almost wavy in the sample pics on Scherrs site... glorious. I've always loved Lyptus so we'll see when the samples come. The oak one is about 35% more but we'll see if we love it 35% more. Even with the most expensive fronts from Scherrs it still brings my cabs in at just under 5K by using IKEA boxes. Still very reasonable in the grand scope of things. I don't want stained wood ... there's something about wood in it's natural state that I love and I didnt' want something too dark so maybe I'll love these way more then I liked the Nexus Yellow Brown. DH is excited to see the samples and all for getting what we love most. He's evolved in his thinking with this remodel as much as my layout and plans have.

• lolog72
    13 years ago

You have got to be kidding me?!?!? I start demo a week from Monday and everything is planned around Nexus yellow-brown.

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    13 years ago

lost my reponse so let's try again.
    I'm sorry it's true lolog. We are already demo'd and were going to buy and bring the cabs home yesterday. I hope you find something else you like as much at IKEA. We did not; not even the new styles; so we are checking out Scherrs. I even called IKEA USA corporate to see if they can still be had and shipped.. no go. Good luck to you!

• lolog72
    13 years ago

ok... I just called my Ikea and they said Nexus yellow-brown has NOT been discontinued. That black-brown has (in Feb), but not yellow-brown. Guess we're getting conflicting info.

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That's weird... cause my IKEA said it was and so did corporate. Maybe you'll get lucky and they have alot of stock. I live in Florida and the store said they discontinued it a little while ago. I'm happy you'll be able to get exactly what you want!

• rovenorth
    13 years ago

This is a really interesting thread, and I hope everyone's cabinet/door choices are working out.

I have a really newbie question. If I understand it correctly, some of you are putting Scherr's doors on Ikea cabinets. How does that work??

Is it the case that you don't have to worry about matching the wood choice/color to Ikea because Ikea's boxes are white? Please explain.

And the hinges. Do you have Scherr's set them for you? Ikea? Or DIY?

Many many thanks. I find the idea really interesting!

• Buehl
    13 years ago

Rovenorth...I cannot answer about the IKEA boxes, but I have heard many times on the Forum that Scherr's has the template information for pre-drilling the hinges for IKEA cabinets. IIRC, it was a GWer about 3 years ago that gave them the template & they've used it ever since!

• jterrilynn
    13 years ago

Remodelfla, where are you at with your cabinet door search? HavenÂt heard in a while! Hey, I was wondering if you have ever visited the Keys granite yard in Boynton. IÂm not sure were you are from meÂfor me itÂs a bit of a haul but not too bad. Looks like they have a few mid grays to pick from, I see they have one called Meteorus that I think is the Meteor (different sp) I saw yesterday and loved but it is $$$$$ out. Wish me luck that this countertop business will be over today, itÂs too flipping hot down here to wander granite yards.

• lolog72
    13 years ago

remodelfla - I'm glad this popped up again, because I couldn't find it to update you. I didn't trust the info I got on the phone so I actually journeyed out to Ikea last weekend. They looked it up in the computer and Nexus yellow-brown IS being discontinued, but not until Feb 2011. My store still has a full supply of everything and they said they will continue to restock until shortly before Feb. I'm not sure what's up with your store. They should have Nexus yellow-brown for another 6 months.
    Anyway, I'm purchasing my stuff next week just because I'm paranoid.

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I've been dealing with bathroom remodel issues/progress so I didn't see this right away.

IKEA boxes come in white and birch. I'm waiting on my two sample doors from Scherrs. THey said they'd ship out around 8/2.

My IKEA store said they stopped stocking it earlier then some. Corporate must not have wanted to ship it to a private customer. Either way, it's great you have access. I'd buy some extra if I were you just to be safe. Also, check the finish. Supposedly they were coming in different from their sources which is why they choose to discontinue it. (at least according to the girl in the store). This part is exciting isn't it!! I can't wait to get my samples. OH... and yes, Scherr's drill for all IKEA hinges and doors. I just had to send him my cab list to get a quote.

Buehl is a pioneer amongst GW'rs!!!

• bmorepanic
    13 years ago

Rovenorth,

You tell Scherrs what ikea boxes you're purchasing and they will build the correct doors and drawer fronts, drilled for the ikea hinges and drawer boxes.

You can get paintable doors or cabinet woods, unfinished, or primed or completely finished.

You can also get matching (in essence) cover panels or decorative end panels that match your doors. We got a few sticks of the same type of wood locally to use for fillers and starter moldings, but you could probably just go ahead and order the fillers.

Toe kicks are the same issue. Again, if you're not doing an exotic finish, you can get a local matching wood. We just used nice plywood and are painting them dark. If we can't stand it after a while - I'm afraid of shoe marks - we'll replace with the stainless toe kicks from ikea. We liked the look better than matching the cabinet.

The tolerances on the doors and drawer fronts are such that you don't see any bit of the white or birch ikea cabinet - with these exceptions....
    -- The stuff that doesn't have doors! Those open shelf end units that are about a foot wide or the small perfects - the wine one or the shelf one.
    -- Either sink base when you use ikea's farm sink. It's just not positioned correctly as designed. This is a job for a bit of paint to make it look like a shadow. If you use one of ikea's non-white colors, you'd have the same problem.

• caryscott
    13 years ago

Don't know about with the Scherr's doors and drawer fronts but with Ikea's own you can see the box edges (it is most noticeable with a high contrast fronts and boxes). Ikeafans has a number of threads about using PVC stick on edgebanding from Fastcap. They will send you a sample chain for free so you can match it to your door. You apply it to the front edge before assembling the cabinets. You can get the tools you need from Fastcap as well.