Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
histokitch

Finished Kitchen

histokitch
13 years ago

I guess the cobbler's kids finally have new shoes. I've learned a lot from my own kitchen clients and from this forum. Lots of fabulous design on this site.

Before:

After:

Another view:

Favorite detail:

I'll post a link to the rest of the gallery for anyone who wants to see more.

Details: The house is an 1895 Tudor Revival with a couple modern additions on it. Hopefully the kitchen bridges the two periods of construction in the house.

Cabinets: Crown Point. Farrow & Ball Shaded White paint, Sapele stained cabinetry. Banquette, open shelves, and tv cabinet by local custom cabinetmaker. Polished nickel hardware.

Counters: honed Virginia Mist granite and Carrara marble

Backsplash: Bejmat tiles in white, 2" x 6", Mosaic House. Antique glass resilvered, Olde Good Things.

Faucets: Wingnut by Sonoma Forge in Rustic Nickel.

Fridges: Subzero, Range: Wolf 48AG with grill (love)

Hood: Modernaire, custom.

Lighting: Salvage

Here is a link that might be useful: histokitch's gallery

Comments (87)

• sochi
    13 years ago

So, so very wonderful! Your kitchen is certainly one of my all-time favourites. Thank you for sharing.

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

Awesome...you did a GREAT JOB!!!

• firstmmo
    13 years ago

Absolutely wonderful! Love the fact that you took the backsplash all the way up the wall and I love your choice of tile. The modern industrial melding of styles really gives this kitchen a flair. Take more pictures!!! I can't see the lovely marble area..and since I was banned from marble anywhere, I live vicariously, so please do post so I can ooh and ahhhh :)

• eastbaymom
    13 years ago

What great lighting finds! I love how taking out the one upper cabinet to the right of the sink totally brightened up that whole run of countertop, and gave your sink and windows room to shine.

• michellemarie
    13 years ago

Looks like a kitchen that should be on the cover of a magazine! I just have to go get my baby to sleep so I can spend more time looking at the photos of your fabulous kitchen! I love, love, love it!

• BeckyJoTX
    13 years ago

Histokitch - - Mm Mm Mm!!

You did a great job - -love the Julia Child'ish pot rack!!
    I want the upper shelving that you have in my remodel -- Would you mind telling me how far apart your shelves are from each other? How tall are the ceilings?
    tks -Becky

• mnhockeymom
    13 years ago

histokitch - quick question regarding the ledge behind your range...how deep is that? did you build it out and then have your cabs set away from the wall the same distance so that they'd be flush with the range (and also then your countertops would be that much deeper)? Any insight would be much appreciated!

still keep coming back to peek at your pics - LOVELY!

• chana_goanna
    13 years ago

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous...that's all I can say. I'm not sure how you got all that stainless steel to look as if it time-travelled from 1915 in perfect condition, but you did! I already told you how much I LOVE those built-ins flanking the fridge, but I have to tell you again. Stunning design in every detail.

May I ask what your salvage source was for the lights? I'm in NJ and am hoping you can point me to a source for all that steampunkity goodness.

• gobruno
    13 years ago

It's beautiful! I love, love your rug. If my dog chewed a rug like that, he'd be a rug! :) Just kidding, our dog has slowly destroyed our house, and we still love him! I love the homey, cozy, and timeless feel of your kitchen. Great job!

• histokitch
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lights were from Olde Good Things in NY and Paris Market in Savannah. My favorite little pet pendant over the sink was taken out of the Philadelphia Civic Center. They told me the glass from my mirror was taken out of the Flatiron Building in NYC. If that is true, I am in preservationist heaven. It's a good story at the least. The fireplace mantel is a 200 year old barn beam I picked up at New Jersey Barn Company. The ledge is 6" deep behind the range and the counters on that side are 30" deep. The cabinets are standard 24" and we just set them out and put some 2x4s back there. The wall shelves are 13" deep and probably about a foot apart. The lowest one is 18" above the counter. The ceilings are 99" in the center of the room. I think that's most of the answers.

• chana_goanna
    13 years ago

Thanks!!! (and very cool sources--the Flatiron Building--whoa!)

• mnhockeymom
    13 years ago

great! thank you so much for the info!

• elizpiz
    13 years ago

What a wonderful kitchen! So many beautiful details - I especially love the lights from Olde Good Things, your fantastic floor, the rug, the shelving behind the range - that POT WALL - wow. It truly suits your beautiful home.

May I ask if the piece that's hanging on the wall 'round the corner from your fridge is also from Turkey? We bought a similar piece in Turkey a few years ago and I haven't gotten around to hanging it up...you are inspiring me!

Congrats on a truly amazing kitchen!
    Eliz

• shelayne
    13 years ago

Truly beautiful! I love your lighting--it is perfecto for your space! Great wall pot rack that just fits so well!

Wowzers!

• redroze
    13 years ago

Gorgeous, just divine. I love all the copper accents (pots, light fixtures) and the honed Virgina Mist. That backsplash is one of a kind and brings in a subtle copper colour. Amazing.

• histokitch
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Elizpiz the saddle bags are from Turkey, too. I stitched the bottom one closed at the center and sewed three hooks on the back and hung it up. I'm not very crafty but it seems to have worked. You have one of my favorite kitchens on the site, by the way.

• prill
    13 years ago

WOW WOW WOW - perfect. Congratulations on an excellent job. You must be loving your new kitchen.

• lisa_a
    13 years ago

Sigh.... May I have your kitchen? Please? It's gorgeous in every way. I've added it to my inspiration file. Thanks for sharing!

• jsweenc
    13 years ago

histokitch, I'm so glad to see your full finished kitchen finally!!! Not that I've been around long enough to feel like it took forever, but I was intrigued from the first time I saw it months ago. I love everything about it, but my favorite is the built-in china cabinets. (Too late for me to be jealous... in fact I considered doing something like that and ruled it out because of the space but I still LOVE the look.) I also love the industrial touches, saw your post on steampunk too. You have done an amazing job transforming your kitchen and not only maintaining, but adding to the character and personality of your house. Oh, I also love the dining niche! Was it always your dining space?

Love it all! Congratulations!

• rosie
    13 years ago

Well, this is probably fairly redundant, but I truly love your kitchen (and the other rooms, too). I could work there VERY happily. Enjoy!

• dianalo
    13 years ago

I love how it is warm and cool, retro, yet modern and all very pretty and comfy looking!
    When you get a chance, can you tell me about your pop up outlet? Thanks!

• holligator
    13 years ago

There is just so much to LOVE about this kitchen. The stove ledge, the pot rack, the awesome light above the sink, the other awesome lights, the fab fridge, the gorgeous backsplash, the wonderful floors... I love the new use of the nook, too. It makes me want to stop by for a cup of coffee--and I don't even drink coffee! :)

Congrats on pulling off such a wonderful transformation--it's one of the great ones here.

• homey_bird
    13 years ago

Fantastic job. The kitchen looks really pretty and especially love the hanging pots -- very pleasing arrangement!

• histokitch
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dianalo, it's a Lew Electric PUFP CT-SS. They're GFCI, so there's no special wiring required. Code requires an outlet every two feet, so with windows down to the counter I needed something like this. They were expensive; maybe $200 a piece or something. People also have used Grommets, but I think they require being plugged into a GFCI outlet under the counter or something, and the pop-up tower did not appeal to me as a look. It's basically a pop-up power strip.

• sadie709
    13 years ago

Beautiful work. How do you like the stove in the corner? I'm thinking of putting my beast in the corner. I now have a 12" cabinet next to my 30" stove but the new vintage stove is 40" and the small cabinet must go. I love the look of it tucked in there with the peg board on the wall. A very creative solution even if you did steal it from Julia!

• elizpiz
    13 years ago

Thks histokitch - a saddle bag - who knew! I just liked the look of it when we bought it. Ours is smaller than your, with only one "pouch". We had thought in the past about hanging it and putting rustic tools inside (kinda like an ethnic toolbelt :-) Need to see where it will fit in the new scheme of things.

Definitely need to put that up - esp when I see how great it looks in your beautiful home.

Eliz

• histokitch
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi, Sadie. Yes, shamelessly stolen from Julia, and I love it. The range has a 15" cabinet to the left that has trays below and potholders in the drawer. The previous range was a 60" commercial one, so there were only a few inches between the range and the wall. That I did not like. This feels roomier and allows me to vent directly out the wall of the house. Pots and potholders are right there, and there is a landing spot if I need to pull something off, but I usually don't even use those burners unless the kids and I are cooking at the same time.

• Susied3
    13 years ago

It's a jewel! I want your lights! And, everything else for that matter.
    Congratulations, I think your peg board is fantastic, and love how you were to able to incorporate really old, with very modern. (the lights, and the modern open shelves) What a great imagination you have!

• babushka_cat
    13 years ago

histokitch -

your kitchen is stunning! love the hardwood floors and the backspash tile is delicious -like a tactile painting. i am sure those tiles are even more beautiful in person. and love the hood solution you came up with. just lovely.

question on your virginia mist honed granite - how are you liking it? i am struggling with counter top selection and this is one i am considering as a more durable alternative than soapstone. any feedback on that product would be most helpful - ie: does it show smudges and fingerprints or fairly carefree? any info is appreciated.

• arlosmom
    13 years ago

I can't believe I almost missed this one! We were without power for three days and I'm only now getting caught up on everything.

Histokitch, I lovelovelove your space. The fridge wall is fabulous. I love the cabinets flanking that marvelous fridge. I love the vintage lights. We did that in our kitchen too, but yours are much funkier and cooler than ours. I love the ledge behind the stove -- I wish I'd have thought of that. And I adore the Julia pot wall.

And maybe most important -- you have a weimaraner!!!!

Awesome space. Enjoy.

• histokitch
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We are Weimaraner junkies. Buried two old ones this winter and got this nut in between. Going to a puppy from 14 and 15 year olds is nuts. Babushka--honed Virginia Mist is great. No maintenance issues so far. The counter has been in use since March. No oiling, no staining, clean with a sponge, etc. It feels good to the touch and looks pretty.

• Gena Hooper
    13 years ago

What a subtle, beautiful kitchen. All the details just speak to me...the salvage lighting, the faucet, the tile. Nothing cookie-cutter. The kitchen has all the modern conveniences, but looks as if it has always been there. It's really...perfect.

• bostonpam
    13 years ago

Absolutely beautiful. I LOVE your lighting. Such a wonderful job of mixing old with new. Replacing the slab doors also make a big difference too.

• kimmieb
    13 years ago

Absolutely beautiful and very unique. I'm a light fixture 'ho and I luv urs. Enjoy!

• louisianapurchase
    13 years ago

Oh, I have been so waiting to see your finished kitchen! I had seen a couple of preview shots awhile back and have been on the lookout ever since. I think your before kitchen was delightful but your new space is amazing. And I know, better suited to the style of your home. I love so much about it but those light fixtures are divine. I especially wanted to see your finished space since you hit the nail on the head with my design inspiration (Hays Town).

• histokitch
    Original Author
    13 years ago

LApurchase, you're sweet. I can't remember if I told you in your original post, but one of the most influential days of my life was spent with Hays Town touring his own house and others in Baton Rouge. Well into his 80s he was remarkably with it. I've strived in my own work for his sense of timelessness mixed with artistic identity. It's a huge challenge! I definitely don't always find that sweet spot.

• louisianapurchase
    13 years ago

Oh, he was the real deal. I never knew him personally, but I know many of his homes. Every time I am in Baton Rouge and I pass his personal residence I always say one day I am going to wheel in there if for nothing else but to touch a wall! One of his homes is for sale across the river from where I live. The other day I was in that area (and knowing from the real estate ad it was empty) pulled right on in! Touched, smelled, oohed, ahhed, absorbed it all in. It is the last house in his book by the way. I texted my husband afterwards to let him know how that had made my day, his repy, "You are so weird!".

• bobbie46
    13 years ago

Beautiful Kitchen! I'm in Baton Rouge too. Where did you find the Modernaire hood? Also, where did you find the countertops and backsplash? Thanks for sharing.

• Stacey Collins
    13 years ago

Hi histokitch-

I saw one photo of this kitchen in the steampunk thread and had to do a search for more. Like everyone else who's responded, I absolutely LOVE your choices (and your dogs: we have the feline equivalent, I think: lilac point siamese...)

May I ask about your shelving??? I'm helping a friend with her kitchen and she really wants floating shelves. However, she also wants to store dishes and other heavier items on them. I've been trying to convince her to go with simple barckets, but now that I have seen yours, I know she'd love them. Did you fabricate the wire end support or buy them someplace? Is the shelf itself supported on a fancy welded-rod system in the wall, or just a cleat that slides into the back of the shelf? I would LOVE to hear details if you have a moment.

And once again, congratulations on a really beautiful, homey, elegant, friendly, perfect kitchen :)

Stacey

• histokitch
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm surprised this thread hasn't rolled off to the great beyond yet. Things move fast on the kitchen forum.

bobbie46--I totally missed your question. I don't look every day. Sorry! I ordered the hood directly from Modernaire and just sent them a drawing of what I wanted. I actually live in New Jersey but am originally from the south, which was why I made the Hays Town pilgrimage to Baton Rouge. My tiles are from Mosaic House in New York and the counters are just plain old Carrara marble and Virginia Mist granite, which are pretty ubiquitous these days.

Stacey--The shelves have a wood cleat nailed to the studs. Nothing fancy. My contractor found the wire shelf support system. I imagine it's fairly standard. All the pieces came in a box together. My only gripe is that the ceiling is slanted and the top piece is not, so there's a little triangular gap up there. My dishes and bowls are heavy. So far, no worries. I'm using something similar in my office/bathroom redo I'm in the middle of now. This kitchen project seems so far away and was just finished in July!

• Stacey Collins
    13 years ago

Thank you!
    I'm googling and can't find it yet... I assume you meant that the wire pieces came all in package, not the wood cleat as well? Your contractor built a plywood sort of box for each shelf that slipped over the cleat, and then bought the hanging wire parts separately? Or- do I misunderstand? (Sorry to be a pain, but it's just PERFECT and I would love to figure this out!)
    Thank you so much-
    Stacey

• Stacey Collins
    13 years ago

Is this the one?

• histokitch
    Original Author
    13 years ago

CR Laurence makes mine. It looks similar to what you have there, but maybe less bulky? I'll take close-up pictures later and add them to the album. The bottom support was cut off, too. They're designed to go from floor to ceiling. You're correct about how the shelf was constructed.

• Stacey Collins
    13 years ago

Thanks so much... that is very helpful info!

• francoise47
    13 years ago

Dear histokitch: Your kitchen has so many amazing features. I am surprised that no one commented on your very cool pro SZ fridge. Are you loving it?

• dmwbcc
    13 years ago

I love it! I'd really love more info on your shelves! :) We have a very similar situation, a small area to the right of the window, an upper just doesn't look right right there!

Deanna

• ae2ga
    13 years ago

WOW! It's really pretty. I like the way you have no up cabinets on the stove/sink side but have the extra storage on the fridge side. Very light - beautifull.

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

This thread was link in a current thread. I had never seen this kitchen. Thought it warranted a bump.

• topupking
    8 years ago

Shaded white looks quite light, is it camera exposure or really like that?

• Amber
    8 years ago

Absolutely perfect.