Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annkh_nd

Progress - not problems

annkh_nd
10 years ago

We are in the intermediate stage - the old cabinets are out, the electrician is finished, the drywall is almost completely patched, taped, mudded and textured. Walls are prepped for painting. I will be able to start painting the ceiling this evening, and hopefully I'll have walls done by the end of the week. I can't wait to see how the colors I chose look on the whole wall and ceiling!

The only problem we have had so far is that we found a soft spot in the floor, in front of the patio door. Luckily, we allowed plenty of time for contingencies, and the guy doing the drywall work is a contractor, and can do anything. He cut out the wet plywood, patched in new, and found and fixed the source of the leak.

I saw the Dan the cabinetmaker this morning, to make my next payment of 40% (I paid 25% in February to get on the schedule). He is slightly behind - he is finishing a project before starting mine, and ran into some problems that need to be addressed. I told him that made me happy - I know he'll address all of MY problems before moving on. He'll call me this week with a firm install date (either the week of July 15 or 22). Our original install date was July 15, so he's only a little bit behind. He said install will take 2 - 3 days.

The Cambria fabricator is on standby - he has my slab, and as soon as Dan gives him a firm date that the base cabinets will be in, we'll get templated. Install will be 2 - 3 weeks after that.

Dan gave me a sample with the stain I chose. I'll take it home tonight, and either give him the go-ahead or make an adjustment. My pulls arrived last week - that was the very last thing I needed to get.

We'll be on vacation all next week, so the waiting will be easier (and that's why I want to finish painting this week). We will be without a working kitchen for only 5 weeks, not counting the week we're on vacation. So far, so good!

Comments (10)

• williamsem
    10 years ago

Yay! You've turned the corner now and get to see it all put together. That's a fantastic feeling, isn't it?

If you don't have one already, I'd suggest spending $50 in a short work platform to assist in painting. It's about 20 in tall and like 30 in wide, and should make cutting in much easier. Less up and down the step stool! I saw the painter here use one, and it's on my list to get when I'm ready to tackle the rest of the house.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

So happy for you Ann. I am sending good thoughts for continued progress with no mishaps. Can't wait to see your kitchen pics as it all comes together.

• annkh_nd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the tip! I have vaulted ceilings, and I have an articulated ladder that makes a terrific scaffold. I've used it to paint the ceilings before. Also for the ceilings I have a Paint Stick - you suck paint out of the can into the handle, to minimize bending over to fill the roller a thousand times. I've used it before and it's slick!

My kitchen isn't big, and I'm only painting the dining room wall that extends into the kitchen, so it won't take long - especially with no cabinets, baseboards, and only one window to deal with. The outlets will all be replaced (or haven't been installed yet), making it even easier!

I'll tell you, it's going to be hard to concentrate at work for the next few days.

Here is a link that might be useful: Paint stick

• andreak100
    10 years ago

Sounds like everything is moving along nicely! Wishing you an uneventful remodel and a fantastic vacation - I hope you're going somewhere nice!

• stealthecrumbs
    10 years ago

I am glad to hear all is going well. I am crossing my fingers for an equally uneventful and relatively short remodel! Have a great vacation. Can't wait to see the finished result!!!

• williamsem
    10 years ago

Oh, now that's cool! I watched the videos, Not sure I have the coordination for that! There's a reason I don't paint on scaffolding, lol!

Looking inward to seeing your colors up.

• williamsem
    10 years ago

Oh, now that's cool! I watched the videos, Not sure I have the coordination for that! There's a reason I don't paint on scaffolding, lol!

Looking forward to seeing your colors up.

• annkh_nd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Did 2 coats of cutting in on the ceiling last night. Tonight I hope to roll the dining room ceiling, and paint the dining room wall, so I can move the temporary kitchen back to the dining room, and move the scaffold into the kitchen.

The vacation is a week at a resort on a lake in Minnesota, with 3 other families (8 adults, 7 kids - all boys!). They are college buddies, and we've been doing this for 13 years. It is one of the highlights of the year,and I know I will be able to relax and enjoy myself, even if I don't get the painting done before we leave (I have a few other things to do to get ready). It will just be nice to have a stove and oven again!

• sanjuangirl
    10 years ago

Good for you, we're on week TEN of a 4 week reno.

Some of its my own fault, I had them add 4 more can lights yesterday to the eating area of the kitchen since the builder put in 9 lights in the kitchen and them stopped right where the table is and it's been lit only by my chandelier for the past 12 years. Now I know why they stopped the lights there. Everywhere they opened up the ceiling to install a light, they hit something like big beams. So they had to move the lights around the obstacles and now they're not in the right spots. It also took all day and into the evening. They left here at 8:30.

Btw. I didn't let them begin putting holes in the ceiling until DH left on a business trip since he thought we had plenty of light, we're over Budget etc etc. now I'm just praying he doesn't notice when he gets home tomorrow.

My granite installer showed up at 4 pm instead of 9am so they were also here until after dark. They were so late he wasn't able to drill the faucet holes so we're not able to fully install the sink. He hasn't even started on my island yet and the template isn't finished yet either. Etc etc etc

Sorry for the rant, but needed to vent!

• annkh_nd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Vent away, SJGirl! I would be completely frustrated in your shoes.

You're also making me appreciate how smoothly things have gone for us so far - hardly any surprises. Any little issues we had came up in plenty of time to deal with them without slowing things down.

Of course we haven't started installation yet! I'm not worried about the cabinets - I've heard nothing but good things about our cabinet maker and his installer (25 years in business a small town - word gets around). The Cambria fabricator may be a wild card, but I just have to trust that the cabinet guy (who hires the fabricator) will have my back if any problems arise.