Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ontariomom

Please show how you finished the panels under the seating area?

ontariomom
9 years ago

Hi everyone,

Can you share how you finished the panels under the bar stools seating area in your island? We will have seating on two sides with a modified shaker style door (shaker with a bit more detail). Our style is transitional. So, how did you finish your underside of your seating area or did you keep it plain?

Carol

Comments (32)

• brightm
    9 years ago

I will be following this thread! The island and the way all the parts will come together is the thing I'm least confident about. That's when the KD and I were rushing and wanting to get stuff ordered. I hope we've got what we need. My seating will be at the end of the island. (cabinets will be 61x30 and the overhang will be 15-ish inches making it about 76x30)

• threegraces
    9 years ago

We have shaker doors and did beadboard. I really like it.

• Gooster
    9 years ago

The side exposed portions are integrated side panels, but under the 16" overhang there is simply a flush furniture finished end with a baseboard. The KD advised since my seating is backed up against the wall and there are no sightlines to the island, doing the same integrated wainscoat would be a waste of money. With my upholstered stools in place, you really can't see it at all. So, that saved $2.5K. If it was exposed directly to the other room, I might have spent the extra $.

• Ellen1234
    9 years ago

I don't have a picture, but our cabinets are full overlay raised panel, and there are 4 finished raised panels on the stool side (with corbels on either side and in the middle for decorative purposes) and finished panels on the other 2 sides of the island.

• amberm145_gw
    9 years ago

In our existing kitchen, which we redid 2 years ago, we just have a flat piece of wood colour matched to the fronts. It's then finished with trim around the base and edges.

For the kitchen in the new house, they are suggesting extra door panels, but I think it'll be too busy for my taste (true shaker).

We had the beadboard before we redid the kitchen in this house. I was nice, but was a little more country than I wanted in the reno.

• Ellen1234
    9 years ago

[Removing duplicate post!]

This post was edited by Ellen1234 on Wed, Jul 2, 14 at 16:28

• nhbaskets
    9 years ago

In our last house we had beadboard at the island and peninsula. Loved the look.

In our new house we have cabinets with doors on the backside. No finished photos yet, but this is during construction.

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you everyone for your inspiration photos and descriptions. I think I need more than a plain end board, and am leaning towards the false door fronts. I also like the baseboard like trim you have on your island, Mags. We are going to do bead board in the mudroom, I believe. All nice options.

Anymore options or photos you want to share?

• musicgal
    9 years ago

Wainscotting-

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Now you have me musicgal. We used to have wainscotting on our dining room walls (little rectangles on the lower half). I loved them. That seems less bulky than false doors. I don't suppose you have any more photos?

Carol

• dilly_ny
    9 years ago

I did panels with decorative end caps instead of corbels. I can take a better picture tomorrow if you like.

• breezygirl
    9 years ago

Hi. My cab maker finished mine with a giant integrated panel to match my shaker cabs. Beadboard would not fit my home.

• Mags438
    9 years ago

Thanks, OM, FYI - I have sooo much crammed into my little kitchen, but making the toe kick molding removable was one of the best things we did. It allows for the toe kick heaters to be pulled out to be easily serviced. Ditto with dishwasher and a laundry area.

• schicksal
    9 years ago

Cabinets were still going in at the time, but you get the idea...

• kalapointer
    9 years ago

Here is mine. There is one false door on the right, but the one on the left is a 12 inch deep cabinet.

• illinigirl
    9 years ago

i took this photo more to show the floors but you can see the panels on my seating side, which is finished like this across the back of the entire island. The panels actually open with spring latch mechanism for storage.

[img]

[/img]

from farther back: the two panels on the farthest left do not open because I have a trash pullout on the left short side of the island (not my only trash pullout)
    [img]

[/img]

This is the back of the bar seating area: (these do not open for storage)

[img]

[/img]

• musicgal
    9 years ago

Carol, when I go out today, I will take a new picture.
    Everyone's pictures are beautiful and the ideas are clever. We have shallow cabs under the bar where we are currently living, and they are nice too for wrapping paper storage. Just a bit of a hassle to have to move all the barstools to get to the stuff.
    Edit- still so dirty I don't think I should show it, but here it is finished with the stone on-

This post was edited by musicgal on Thu, Jul 3, 14 at 13:45

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for all the options guys. This thread is helping me get this decision off my list. Your kitchens are all so nice.

Musicgal, I think your island and kitchen look wonderful. Thanks for the second photo. In this photo the backside of your island looks like Shaker false doors (recessed doors). Am I interpreting that correctly?

Carol

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I was wondering if we could do the underside of the island with wainscotting like we had in our old dining room. Here is a picture of what I was picturing (BTW, that is my daughter holding her new doll in the foreground with wainscotting in background). Or, are we better off sticking to false door panels? Our doors are shaker with a bit of extra detailing. Our island will be a dark chocolate stained maple, so maybe we won't notice thin wainscotting trim in the dark stain and would be better off with wider strips like a false door? I wish I could decide.

Anyone tried wainscotting like in my picture?

Carol

This post was edited by OntarioMom on Thu, Jul 3, 14 at 16:40

• RealHousewifeofNJ
    9 years ago

This is mine, beadboard and finished panels on the ends.

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That is a nice kitchen, Realhousewife. Love that kitchen window.

Any thought anyone on the wainscotting I posted from my old dining room. (one with daughter in picture). I am really not sure if I should ask for that under the overhang or go for false doors.

Carol

• musicgal
    9 years ago

Carol,
    Without the inset strip, the style of the wainscotting would be shaker, but it is transitional. I could have incorporated doors into the pattern here, but I have deep drawers on the opposite side and a garbage pullout. The bar height is very high too right there so I kept it as simple as possible.
    I liked the white wainscot pattern in your last picture ( and the darling little lady)- your detail is raised and mine is inset. The raised molding is perfect for camoflaging a cabinet door. If you do have dark cabs, that would make it a nice functional touch. It is really a matter of your personal taste and the way the bar area flows into the rest of the decor in the room.
    Just an aside, I chose the darker wainscoting because I spent years doing touch up paint on a pony wall type bar. Blue jean marks usually.

• chiefneil
    9 years ago

I tiled that area with the same marble tile I used in the backsplash.

• christina222_gw
    9 years ago

Beadboard with a baseboard. I really like how it looks. Wainscoting is gorgeous but wouldn't go in our kitchen. [note that it's not my cabinets out if square it's the ghastly tile! It's not really noticeable in person though]

• RealHousewifeofNJ
    9 years ago

Thank you Carol! Your daughter is precious! I think the wainscot would look great with what you are describing!

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks again for all these beautiful inspiration pictures. This decision, as well as what to do on the other end panels, is frustrating me. Your tips are helpful.

@ Musicgal, Thanks for the extra info! I will have to talk some more to Scherr's who is making our RTA cabinets to see what options we have for an integrated wainscotting,. Those false door panels will take extra depth out of our overhang due to door thickness.

@ Breezygirl, regarding your integrated panel that your cabinet maker made, are your cabinets frameless? I read on GW that frameless cabinets can't have integrated decorative end panels. Did you also do integrated end panels for the sides of your exposed cabinets? I would love to have integrated decorative end panels, but am not sure we have that option for frameless.

I am getting way too TKO on these under overhang panels and now end panels for exposed cabinet ends and what options we can consider for frameless cabinets.
    Will these obsessions ever end? Do people recover from being TKO?

Carol

• brightm
    9 years ago

Ontario Mom, I'm thinking we're at similar stages. I'm so happy you've made the threads you've made recently. I'm definitely TKO and stir crazy.

Can you say what you mean by your question/comment to Breezy? My cabinets are frameless and my island is my biggest fear. It was thrown together at the last minute. We knew we needed to get our cabinets ordered so that they'd be avail within our summer window to get stuff done. I made some last minute changes adding a bookcase to one end. The other end has an overhang for seating.

• Mags438
    9 years ago

No, the obsession doesn't wane.

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

LOL Mags438.

Cal_quail, I have searched so many old GW threads on end panels, and decorative end panels.and on one thread it said you could not do "integrated end panels" on frameless cabinets. However, they were likely referring to side panels, not the back panel. I searched for that thread to post for you, but could not find it.

Carol

• ontariomom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Cal,, I found the post where GreenDesigns mentions you don't do integrated end panels with frameless. I also linked another thread that was very helpful on the subject of end panels.

Carol

Another good end panel thread:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg1101540223614.html

Here is a link that might be useful: integrated end panels and frameless

• brightm
    9 years ago

Thanks! I've saved those and this one to pour over if issues come up. I can't recall what we planned at the overhang end. I'm afraid to go through the cabinet order and try to figure it out. Hopefully, I'll find out soon enough.