Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathy6421

Copper sink for kitchen remodel?

kathy6421
9 years ago

Does anyone know of a really good quality copper sink for kitchen that is 99% pure copper, with no maintenance that is as good as, but not as expensive as the Rachiele sinks?
I would love a copper sink in our new kitchen remodel, but the only good ones(Rachiele) are way too expensive.

If I can't find a good, maintenance free copper sink for a good price, I'll end up going with either enameled cast iron, which I have now(15 years and great condition) or stainless.

Comments (24)

• michellemarie
    9 years ago

I ordered mine from Ebay. It came from Mexico. I have 7 kids if that gives you any idea of how much I put my sink through. I love it. No need to spend a fortune.

• kathy6421
    Original Author
    9 years ago

michellemarie, I read that the ones from Mexico aren't as good. How long have you had yours? Do you know if your sink is 99% pure copper and do you have to do any maintenance(wax it etc) or does the pantina just come back(darken) without permanently staining?

• kathy6421
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Does anyone have a copper sink in the kitchen that you've had for awhile that is 99% pure copper, no maintenance and wasn't expensive?

• michellemarie
    9 years ago

I have had it installed for 4 years. I believe it was The Copper Design seller on Ebay. I bought it more than 3 years ago so it is no longer in my buying history. I bought 2 from the same seller. I only have used dish soap and hot water to clean. I have had no problems with it. I will take a pic of it for you.

• kathy6421
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks michellemarie! That would be great if I could see a picture of it. :)

• kathy6421
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Anyone else have a copper sink that you've had for years that you really like that is made of cold rolled 99% pure virgin copper, with no coating/finish on it, is really strong and no maintenance, that is not a rachiele sink, and was much cheaper? If so, who is it made by and any pictures of it would be appreciated. Thanks!

• kathy6421
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm looking for a 99% pure copper sink that is only 8 inches or less deep and maintenance free at a price much cheaper than Rachiele sinks. Anyone have one or know of one??? :)

• rmtdoug
    9 years ago

Your post caught my eye because I was just looking at a copper sink in a big box store yesterday. It seemed to me very flimsy and cheaply made. Since you seem to know more about this and exactly what kind of sink you want but don't know where to find one, I spent some time reading about copper sinks. After 20 minutes, I came to the conclusion that the best copper sinks in the world come out of Mexico and they all are at least 99% purity, at least from the vendors selling them on the first couple of pages on my searches.

So, now I'm confused because you say Mexico is not a good source for copper sinks?

• kathy6421
    Original Author
    9 years ago

According to what I've read on the Rachiele site, which a lot of people seem to think has the best(but expensive) copper sinks. I would love to find an 8" deep or shallower 99% pure copper wide single basin sink, but it seems like nobody makes one, other than Rachiele, which is too expensive.

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

Amortize the cost over the life of the kitchen.
    Copper would have been perfect for my kitchen. Unfortunately or fortunately I did not know they existed when I did my kitchen.
    The sink will last forever unlike many new appliances!

• User
    9 years ago

You get what you pay for. Something well made in an expensive material does not come cheap. That's an oxymoron. If it's cheap, there is a reason that it's cheap.

• poohpup
    9 years ago

What are you hoping to pay for this sink?

• rmtdoug
    9 years ago

What about a hand-hammered sink? Can't it be ordered any size or shape you want?

• kathy6421
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It would be more expensive to get it custom made in a certain size. I really don't want to go with stainless and may end up with cast iron. Anyone know about the sinks from Copper Sinks Online(If they're any good)?

• rmtdoug
    9 years ago

I recall visiting the Copper Sinks Online site. I think they just resell sinks from around the world but don't actually manufacture them. One thing I did pick up there is that some of the Mexico companies have been making copper sinks for over 100 years. They must be doing something right. Mexico has a very long history of working copper. It's something they do very well. Not trying to sell you a Mexican sink, but I sure would not outright reject them from what I learned a few days ago.

• kathy6421
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Anyone have a really good copper sink that was a good price? If so, where did you get it?

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

What do you consider a "good price"? What do you think the price of raw copper might be? What about the labor costs to turn raw copper into a finished product?

• Terri_PacNW
    9 years ago

Hmmm, You keep asking the same question, and not getting the answer I guess you want.
    It seems to me that if it's hand made and made of copper, it's not "comparatively" CHEAP in anyway shape or form to other sinks.

ebay sinks, read ratings and reviews

Link below is a website. lifetime warranty, recycled copper.

Here is a link that might be useful: Native Trails

This post was edited by terri_pacnw on Mon, Jul 21, 14 at 12:24

• rmtdoug
    9 years ago

Nice ebay link, Terri. If the OP can't find something from that, I don't know what else to say. $4-600 for a 16 gauge sink certainly seems reasonable to me, even if they were all 10". I'm sure an 8" sink can be found.

Those Mexico sinks were beautiful. That's the first time I've seen pictures of a whole bunch of them. I think I may put copper sinks on my watch list for our kitchen.

• Terri_PacNW
    9 years ago

Doug, I agree, those hand hammered ones, what beauties! I'd have never entertained the idea either, until this morning when I went looking. They are warm and stylish.
    They don't fit my kitchen plans, but those would be amazing in my hall bath.

I too will keep an eye out.

• Dorys Prentice
    9 years ago

I am too looking for a cheaper alternative to Rachiele and found mexicancopper.com website. They say they will custom make a sink for you at no additional charge.

Their stock sinks are 14gauge and most are 10' deep but I did see on that is 8' deep. I'm sure you can send them specs and have something similar to the Rachiele sink made for much less.

I just sent them an email so I will post back when I hear from them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mexican Copper Sinks

• liz_p
    9 years ago

Michellemarie can you post a pic?

• bisondaktelcom
    9 years ago

Kathy642, did you ever decide on a copper sink, and if so, would you mind sharing what you bought, where, and if you are satisfied? Thanks much!