Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brown Antique Granite Etching???

Posted by VickieHallmark (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 27, 11 at 11:39

I know I can expect etching on my marble island counter top, but I never anticipated issues with my Brown Antique granite counters.

I had localized all acidic operations to the granite perimeter to minimize etching the marble, although we have of course already christened the marble repeatedly. I expected that and have taken it in stride.

However, this morning, I see what looks suspiciously like an etch ring on the granite next to my sink. Nothing I've tried budges it.

Anybody have this experience? Did I inadvertently manage to select an etchable granite? I thought I had read that Brown Antique was pretty impervious to anything.

Perhaps I need to move all acids back to the island and go with my first impulse of deliberately etching the entire island to embrace the patina.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brown Antique Granite Etching???

Can you post pics - close ups and distant shots ???

o

I wouldn't be surprised if it is etching the SEALER not the granite. There were recent threads about this with Black Pearl granite, so maybe your Brown Antique is the same type of porosity that makes the sealer sit on the top, rather than penatrating the granite.

o

"I wouldn't be surprised if it is etching the SEALER not the granite. "

Especially if a sealer was used on a stone that does not require it.

o

Interesting about the sealer etching potentially. I'll search for the other threads.

Here are photos, very difficult to get good images with all the reflection.
granite ring 3
granite ring

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here