Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brianadarnell_gw

Granite Saga Continues

brianadarnell
12 years ago

Granite was installed two weeks ago. After a last minute switch, I am very happy with the new slabs which are White Delicatus. We went with a bullnose on the perimeter cabs and a ogee on the island. When they installed the granite, I noticed a sort of highligher yellow staining on the edges of the island slab. It was especially bad in a few spots, but only as part of the edge. I figured it was leftover sealant or something.

I called the owner of the granite company and he knew immediately (and admitted such) that the highlighter yellow staining was not supposed to be there. Apparently, there was some kind of reaction with a new sealer they were using. They tried for about a week to extract the stains using hydrogen peroxide and other household items. Finally, at the beginning of last week, I told them to take the island slab off so that they could deal with it during the week of hardwood floor finishing.

At this point my options are this:

1. they can re-edge the two sides and I would lose about 1" from my 15" overhang.

2. they need to get another slab from the lot and cut a new piece without sealing with the problematic sealer (which I am told also caused a problem on another job).

What do you think? I don't really want to lose my inch, but I am afraid they will think I'm a crazy if I tell them that and make them use another slab. After everything that happened and this upgrade I made them do, I feel like they have been pretty accommodating. I don't want to ask for something unreasonable.

Comments (11)

• MCMesprit
    12 years ago

This is tough. You are perfectly in your rights to ask for a new island to be cut, but this might be an issue as well if new slab isn't adjacent in number to the others you used (the color/movement etc.. might be distinctly different).

Could you make a rough template of the Island with a 14" overhang? You may find that the inch isn't a big issue. OR you may find it really is.

Hope this helps.

• marcydc
    12 years ago

I assume the overhang is for eating at? Do you have your stools? Can you sit there now and see if you can give up an inch? (have someone get down on the floor and measure where your knees go?) If so I'd probably go that way rather than risk trying to find another slab that may not match the rest as nicely.

• azstoneconsulting
    12 years ago

Can you post pics of the edges and the discoloration that you are describing?

This sounds (to me) like it could possibly be a resining issue, but pics will help to discern what is and is not......

Not trying to be "self promoting" here, but after 26 years as a Fabricator, I have seen stuff like this a lot (I do Forensic Inspections and reviews for folks all over the world) - and this sounds to me like it could be a "resin with tint/stain" issue - but your pics should help to confirm or quash my initial suspicions.......

I'll be watching for your pics

kevin

• NewSouthernBelle
    12 years ago

That sucks. I'm so sorry. And after they sold your original slabs too! (I was following your other post)However, the White Delicatus is beautiful and I think it is more interesting than the color you were originally going to get.

So now what... I think Marycydc's idea is great - test and see if an inch matters and/but don't feel pressured to give in because you are going to have that kitchen for a long time, and you don't want to regret not having that inch every time you sit at the island. Nothing would annoy me more. Second - I would check out the other slab they can offer you before making a decision. Do you like it enough for it to be the island (which I think is the showcase place for granite) and/or does it work well enough with the other counter tops? Personally, as long as it isn't crazy different, I don't think anyone but you (and all of us) would know the slabs weren't fraternal twins but rather siblings and at worst, cousins.

• brianadarnell
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm going to see my island Slab at 4:30 to see what progresss if any has been made. A mockup would be tough because I don't have barstools yet. But the reasOn I went with 15 was because my mom only has 12 and it seems like my legs are always crammed under her overhang. Thanks for echoing my sentiments that a request for the new slab wouldn't be unreasonable. The new slab is also supposed to be here so that I can see it as well. I did choose the prettier of the two to be the island so hopefully this slab is comparable.

Kevin, I'll post somepics of the yellow stains when I get home. Thanks!

• Jeane Gallo
    12 years ago

How big are the plates you normally use? Our last counter was 12", and would barely hold the plates. If you eat at the counter a lot, you need room for the plates, glasses, bowls, etc. We eat at the counter almost exclusively, so we need it as wide as we can get it.

• brianadarnell
    Original Author
    12 years ago

New Southern Belle, I got a kick out of your cousins, brothers analogy. Its so true!

Jeane- the plates aren't an issue because the island is all one level so it totals 55" wide. That should definitely be enough room! :)

All, when I went to the granite place today, the owner showed me right to my new slab...nothing about the old slab. the new slab was almost as beautiful as the original one and will be even more beautiful without inches lost or neon yellow stains. He is even giving me two extra inches so I will end up with 17" of overhang instead of 15.

• NewSouthernBelle
    12 years ago

Excellent! I am so glad your have a happy ending to your granite story and 2 more inches to boot - woowhoo!

• bagpipers
    12 years ago

You lost your stones also?

Below is the granite that was either sold/lost by Innovative Stone in Hauppauge NY.

I had left a large deposit on 2 different stones until I was ready for the templating and install.

To add insult to injury I had to dispute the charge just to get my money refunded so I can go out and purchase a new stone.

• brianadarnell
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My granite disappeared after 6 months on hold (paid for). It literally disappeared in the last two weeks before install. Oh well, I am totally in LOVE with my new slabs. I hope it plays out well for you. Others were reassuring when this happened to me and they were totally right. I ended up being happy that it happened.

Sounds to me like your fabricator is not accepting responsibility? What granite are you looking for? My fabricator also sells slabs and they tried to pull the wool over my eyes at first but I kept pushing them to admit their error and finally they caved. I ended up getting a significant upgrade for nothing. I knew I could have gone somewhere else based on principle, but I wanted to work with them because I knew I could get a deal after the mistakes they made.

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

Briana, so sorry to hear you had to go through more stone drama. I've been very hit and miss here lately with the reno work and getting adjusted to having two little ones home all day for the summer. I'm glad I didn't see this until it was all worked out for you. Can't wait to see the new slab installed!