Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurielep

99% finished under $20k kitchen!

laurielep
14 years ago

We are 99% finished! All we need to do is the base moulding and back splash which will be done this weekend. We are doing a white subway tile.

We started this in January when temps got below zero here in NJ and our pipes froze. We were in the process of doing the mud/laundry room when this happened and had to put that room on hold to do the kitchen. I think I was the happiest person ever when those pipes froze!! Dh, a plumber, would have lived with our 1953 kitchen forever!!

We've owned the historic 1849 fieldstone house for 10 years. The house was at one time make into a 2 family house with renters renting both sides of the house. When we bought it we needed the room and made the house back into a 1 family home. Unfortunately, because the house is stone and most of the walls are 2 feet thick we are unable to change the layout of most rooms. The kitchen is 16x20 (the other kitchen was made into a mud/laundry room)

My budget was $10k and we were going to do most work ourselves. We did hire someone to do sheetrock/spackle for us because it's the one thing we both pretty much stink at doing. After gutting the kitchen, we realized our $10k budget was a dream. The floor boards were rotten out, Plaster walls were crumbling and our 4 week reno at $10k turned into a 22 week nightmare at $19k

What we have

Cabinets: American Woodmark, Maple Spice

Granite Countertops, Giallo Veneziano

Flooring, Shaw Laminate, Cost Rica/Merlot Cherry

Range: Frigidare, Love it, bought from Lowes

Dishwasher: Maytag Steam Clean purchased at plumbing supply for $200 less than Lowes

Fridge: Whirlpool, Lowes

OTR Micro: Maytag HD

Faucet: Moen Annabelle again, got at Plumbing supply

Sink: Kohler Staccato (top mount made into an undermount) Plumbing supply

Lighting: Recessed (HD)

Under cab lighting, Kichler track, great deal from an electrician friend

Braun fan, (hate it but had no other choice) (internet)

Anderson Slider

Jeldwen interior and exterior doors

Trimline new "historic" windows

Paint: Behr (hd) Valley Mist on walls, Pure White on ceiling and trim

Hardware: MNG

Here is a collection of pics taken from the beginning to the end. To see side/sides just go to the end :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Lots of Pictures!

Comments (33)

• honeychild1
    14 years ago

It is beautiful and I know you are so proud of your families handy work. I enjoyed looking at the pictures, thanks for sharing!

• pluckymama
    14 years ago

What a transformation! Your kitchen is seasoned with love and all of you pitching in to bring your dream to life.
    Loved your pics and hope you enjoy your beautiful new kitchen for many years.

• desertsteph
    14 years ago

oh dear - about 5 months like that? how many kids do you have? what a bear that'd be!

you were so lucky dh's is a plumber - what a savings and most likely he did good work so he won't have to repair it later - lol!
    It turned out very beautiful tho - and so much lighter! bet you are so glad to have all of that dark wood gone.

How do you like your cabs? I think my sister's are woodmark and I love hers - i'm thinking of getting the same cabs. I'll check a few small shops too tho.
    did you get a LS put in the corner cab? the island does look different - that's weird. does the end drop down on it?

what's next? bathroom pipes will freeze next winter? lol!

• pharaoh
    14 years ago

Lovely. The granite is gorgeous.
    So when is the party ?

• crzyktchnlady
    14 years ago

Congratulations laurielep!! You have every reason to be so proud of yourselves for pulling off this beautiful transformation. I hope you had a few $$ left for a bottle of bubbly to celebrate!

• segbrown
    14 years ago

Wow .. nice job.

That old wallpaper was really cool, in a kitschy kind of way.

• Yvonne B
    14 years ago

Very nice transformation - I like your island, too.

• rosie
    14 years ago

What a wonderful old house. Your nice new kitchen sink and cabinets with that wonderful deep kitchen ledge look wonderul. BTW, I love my garbage too... :)

• southernstitcher
    14 years ago

I just love seeing the transformation pics! You now have a lovely space. Lucky you with the plumber husband!!

• laurielep
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you everyone!
    When I found this forum I thought I would never be able to post finished pics!!

desertsteph, we love the cabinets. Our budget was only $4000 for cabs and I was able to stay just under that.
    Yes, I have a LS in the corner. I love it. I put all my pots and pans in there.

We bought the island a year ago so we bought the cabs to match the island. The pics are very odd. The stool is a different color but the island is the same exact color as the cabs.
    You can put beans or noodles or whatever in the front part of the island drawers. I didn't put them back in there yet. Yes, it folds down.

Old pic...

• fleur222
    14 years ago

What a huge demolition project! Here in New England, I think it would have cost $20k just to do the demolition!!! I enjoyed seeing the photos too. You have a warm , welcoming kitchen. So special that it was you and your family that made it happen. Congratulations!

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

LaurieLep, the renovated kitchen is amazing looking especially for under $20,000! I love your floors that I was ready to ask what width and wood species when I noticed you mentioned it was a high quality laminate floor so I looked up the floor information and the width is slightly over 4". I really love the floors and your kitchen really looks beautiful. It gives me hope when I am ready to renovate my kitchen, maybe I can also keep within a budget. Thanks for sharing.

• rhome410
    14 years ago

Love that cute island! A great piece around which to plan the kitchen. I enjoyed the anticipation of going through your photos, dying to see how it turned out. I think I teared up a little when you covered up the brick ;-), but I trust why you thought it should be and all that work paid off in a really lovely result. Enjoy!!

• laurielep
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Rhome410, the only brick was put around the window as fill in back when they took the stone out to make a window.
    If it was all brick, it would have stayed :)
    It was just staggered pieces all over the outside of the window hole.

• plllog
    14 years ago

Beautiful! Love the island! You did a great job of making the kitchen work with it. :)

• gsciencechick
    14 years ago

Wow, what an amazing transformation!

• ptyles
    14 years ago

Great transformation! It looks wonderful!!

• hestia_flames
    14 years ago

I love the calm feeling your kitchen has. Very warm and light filled. Beautiful!

• raenjapan
    14 years ago

Wow! Opening up that wall looked like a pain in the butt! Gorgeous result, and great house. Congratulations!

• boxerpups
    14 years ago

Fabulous! Your cabinets are wonderful. You must be so
    excited. I am astonished you did this under 20K. I know
    you had not planned to spend that much but truly you have
    made a wonderful investment. That kitchen is stunning and
    it will be a great place to work for many years.

The granite goes perfect with the cabinets and the island
    is a adorable. Super choices for a functional and lovely
    kitchen.

enjoy,
    boxerpups

• deegw
    14 years ago

Great job! I loved the old wall paper with the vases. I wonder what the kitchen looked like back then.

• cininohio
    14 years ago

Great job! Very warm and inviting. I looked through your photo album twice, relating the whole time. Even showed DH as we thought ours was a big DIY job. You have me beat! lol. My kids have been whining for 3 months with no kitchen. We do have a stove out in the barn. Not lucky enough to have the sink and dishwasher, though! Today, it happens. I loved the pics of your husband working. I should have caught some of those types of photos's when Dh was working on mine. But would not have wanted to have had sound, if you know what I mean! haha. Your kitchen is beautiful and your family will really love spending time together in there.

• bmorepanic
    14 years ago

Beautiful job. Amazing for the budget!

Wish you happy cooking!

• steff_1
    14 years ago

Great transformation and you got a lot for your budget. I'm glad you posted because I remembered your vent and trim issues and wondered how it was going.

• junicb
    14 years ago

Did your $19k budget include the window-to-door transformation and the new doors? If so, holy moley! Would you mind posting an itemized budget? It's amazing that so much work got shoehorned into such a reasonable budget. Congratulations!

• eastcoastmom
    14 years ago

Marvelous - Just an amazing before and after story, even more so that you were able to do so much on 19K. It's just such a warm and inviting kitchen - love the cabinets and the great island. Your backsplash will be a wonderful finishing touch. I really enjoyed looking through the album to follow the progress - especially liked the historical wall paper photos!

• laurielep
    Original Author
    14 years ago

junicb,
    Yes, that included the new doors and windows.
    I was very anal and kept track of every cent on Excel. Here is my list
    According to my bank account...I don't have everything listed...but it's pretty darn close!!
    My husband did all demo, plumbing, electric, floor and cabinets. I painted and did back-splash (today!)
    We saved so much money doing that ourselves. The things DH isn't good at we hired out for that. All trim work, hanging the sheet rock and spakling. So glad we did cause the kitchen still wouldn't be done yet!!

We hired someone to install doors and windows, we had 26 windows and 3 exterior doors installed so I just took a percentage of what the total installation was.

Slider $1350 (Anderson)
    Exterior door 125 (Jeldwen)
    Interior door 75 (Jeldwen)
    Window 380 (Trimline)
    Installation of slider exterior door and window - 600
    Labor for sheetrock, spackle, crown, all trim 2000
    Cabinets 4044 (American Woodmark)
    Granite Countertops 1860
    Backsplash 200 (American Olean)
    Fridge 900 (Whirlpool)
    Range 648 (Fridgadare)
    Dishwasher 590 (Maytag)
    Microwave 200 (Maytag)
    Sink and Flange 250 (Kohler)
    grates for sink 75
    Garbage disposer 200 (Insinkerator septic assist)
    Faucet 210 (Moen)
    Knobs and Pulls 24 (Great Outdoors was going out of business, 90% off!)
    Flooring 1300 (Shaw Laminate)
    Crown, trim, base moulding 440
    Recessed lighting & blubs 184
    lighting - undercounter 291 (Kitchler)
    Stove fan 75 (Braun)
    paint & stain 80
    Material for pointing stone outside of house 75
    Material for walls, beams, subfloor, concrete, insulation, plumbing, electric, plus many other trips to supply house and HD. $1800
    Garbage pull out 92 (Rev-a-shelf)
    New pots for new stove 150

• loves2cook4six
    14 years ago

I am speechless. I watched the whole slideshow and could not believe the transformation. You are rightfully proud of your achievements.

WOW! Love it all

• kcboom
    14 years ago

Enjoy your kitchen it looks Great!

• nursetammi
    14 years ago

OMG I am so happy for you. It looks absolutely beautiful. You should be soooo proud of yourself :) What a fun transformation, thanks so much for sharing all your pics. You must be pinching your self everyday.

• marybeth1
    14 years ago

What a lovely kitchen to come home to. GREAT JOB!

• karena_2009
    14 years ago

Wow! That was a huge renovation! Congratulations!!! I like how you managed your expenses and it's great that your husband is a plumber, especially after the pipes burst, yikes. I am very impressed with your choices and how your project turned out. I hope you enjoy it for many years to come.

• tiskers
    14 years ago

AWESOME job! Your slide slow is GREAT and really captured the *process*. We did a 95% DIY kitchen reno recently, too, so I can RELATE!

Your house is gorgeous, and your kitchen is PERFECT!

Enjoy!