Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
warren_pa

Kitchen Backsplash - Start Over?

Warren.PA
9 years ago

Hi everyone,

I'm new to these forums, and I'm trying to get some opinions on a kitchen backsplash project my wife and I began back in January. I hope the pictures are good enough, but I can try to re-post them from my pc if they aren't.

Anyway, to make it short, the upper left section of the backsplash is beginning to run at a downward slope. It's most noticeable at the very top where the difference between the highest tiles and the cabinet varies from 5/8" to 7/8". To me it looks terrible and the problem seems to begin about 4 tiles from the top row. However, my wife and her father feel that it is hardly noticeable.

I'm debating on removing all of the tiles and the dry wall underneath, and then installing new hardy board to guarantee a flatter surface. Am I being too picky? Or is this thing going to look even worse once the grout is used?

Appreciate any opinions on the matter!

Best wishes and happy fourth of July!

Comments (13)

• rantontoo
    9 years ago

Did you use spacers?

At first when I looked without reading, I did not see anything wrong; now that you pointed out the issue,I see the slope. I'm not sure that a not "flatter" surface is the issue that caused the slope????

• Vertise
    9 years ago

Wall flatness wouldn't cause a downward slope. Are your cabinets level?

It's easier to clean those joints when the thinset is wet than chipping it out before grouting. Raised areas will show white. The gray thinset would also hide better. I think it needs to be cleaned out 2/3 the way down into the joint.

How are you ensuring even spacing between tiles?

• Warren.PA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I did use spacers (1/8"), but I had trouble in some areas which I think may have been part of the problem. The spacers are shaped like a cross, but our natural stone tiles are of varying thickness. I noticed while I was placing the tiles that the spacers wouldn't insert all the way when an especially thick tile was adjacent to a thin one.

• StoneTech
    9 years ago

With material like this, you need to "cheat" your spacing to keep things level. I would remove about two tiles at least halfway down and re install them using spacers, wedges, folded cardboard or whatever it takes. Be creative....use gray morter this time and grout it with a dark gray, sanded grout.

• enduring
    9 years ago

What StoneTech says. Use a level to keep your row level if you can, then "cheat" as needed : )

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

I'm curious stonetech, why do you suggest sanded grout for a backsplash? Not objecting just want to learn : ))

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

If a picture or mirror is a 16th of an inch off level, I have to straighten it or it drives me nuts! Imagine my distress when I discovered that the wall posters in my doctor's office are screwed or glued - crooked - to the wall. I would have to start over if that were my kitchen.

• enduring
    9 years ago

gr8day, the standard use of sanded grout is to use it with 1/8" space or greater. The shrinkage with unsanded is such that the gout will crack, I believe. The sand in the grout adds structural strength so is can't shrink so much. Am I right StoneTech :) ?

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

Bumping up....

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

I vote with the wife and father. You're almost to the end anyway. It's a backsplash; you'll probably have something in front of it anyway.

Finish it and live with it for a while. If it still drives you nuts in a few months, tear it out and do it over. That won't be much more work than adjusting this now.

Remember, caulk, not grout, between the top and first row of tile and at plane changes.

• StoneTech
    9 years ago

Enduring....Yep, you're right! Sanded is stronger and doesn't shrink as much. Last one I did in Houston, I used "Fusion Pro" grout. Very fine sand and he loved it!

I might add, although it's a bit late...when doing a backsplash, ALWAYS space the bottom row an eighth of an inch off the countertop and caulk that with a matching, sanded, silicone caulk as microscopic movement WILL cause it to crack if you grout it.

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

Thanks! I was curious about the sanded grout, when to use and when not. Thank you both again for taking the time to post the information.

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

I had no idea that sanded grout was stronger. Thanks for sharing.