Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deja_q

Amish Cabinets

Deja_Q
11 years ago

I posted on this forum about a year ago. I wanted to stop back and post pics of the completed kitchen.

Details:

$4300 - AMISH - all cabinets, island and pantry (Oak Natural)

$5000 - Appliances

$3000 - Granite

$1000 - Flooring (entire first floor, less living room)

$600 - AMISH - all oak baseboards, door & window trim (entire 1st floor)

I live in Rochester NY but am from northern NY where Amish are plentiful. They do not use resellers or market their work, so I had to pick up the cabs and truck them here. But for a price that is 1/4 of what Lowe's would charge, it was worth it! Simple & functional--perfect for a working kitchen!

Comments (56)

• ginny20
    11 years ago

Hey Deja Q, when you say northern NY, do you mean up near the St Lawrence? geomeg needs recs for custom cabs near Montreal. Are there Amish settlements up there? I'm only familiar with the Mennonites in the Finger Lakes.
    Thanks.

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Looks great!

• modern_mom35
    11 years ago

So pretty! They did a beautiful job. Gorgeous floors too!

• elyash
    11 years ago

Deja Q - Don't keep us in suspense!! Please post the name and number for your cabinet maker!!! The workmanship and price are impressive.

• cakelly1226
    11 years ago

I love those CABS!!!! Gorgeous- still sad there are no Amish cabinet makers in Southern Cali: ( the work they do is amazing. Your kitchen looks so beautiful and cozy.

• colorfast
    11 years ago

These are really nice cabinets and a reminder that oak is still a pretty wood when we get away from those 80s rounded slab doors.

Thanks for sharing.

• Deja_Q
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry for the delay! I thought this site would email me when someone responded.

thanks andreakellyphotography for letting me know!

OK name and number? Amish don't use phones remember :)

His name is Samual Yoder, 1555 State Hwy. 184, Heuvelton, NY 13654. He does work for people from all over NY but it's just thru word of mouth. His prices are great--I think he said maple or cherry is about 10-15% higher than oak.

That price included all hardware, which was full extension soft-close drawer slides for all face drawers and regular slides for all pull out shelves in base cabs. Full round lazy susan. Overlay doors. Everything was completely custom. I'll attach some other pics.

Now for the bad news: you must pick-up (no delivery) and he has at least a 9 month waiting list. With no phone, it can be difficult getting questions answered and details finalized thru the mail. For example, at the last minute I need to cancel the half round posts that I had wanted for each side of the sink because it meant the face would be set back almost 2 inches and my sink (SilGranite, free with the granite order) would not fit. So I had to call my brother in Ogdensburg and have him drive over there to make the change just days before he started making my cabs.

I'll try to check more often now. I just re-read some of your comments and you must remember that this guy is not a commercialized/reseller Amish. He does not advertise and does not have a website. That's why the price is so cheap.

Oh and everything is guaranteed for life. You just need to bring it back and he'll fix it. Or give you a replacement.

He's old school. One of the nicest guys I've ever met.

• Deja_Q
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I cannot seem to upload any more pics. When I click on Preview Message, the Image file to upload goes blank.
    there is no Submit button until I see the preview, but cannot get the pic to upload before the preview page.

Any help?

• Mags438
    11 years ago

Nice job, nice kitchen

• Deja_Q
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mahogany and Oak trunk and night stands. Sam said this was really expensive...$1700 for the set. I thought it was a steal. I would have bought it, but like everything I've seen at his workshop, it's for someone else. Nothing is made without an order. And nothing is paid for up front. It's all by a handshake and a promise. :)

• Deja_Q
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My kitchen was all DIY. The only outside help I got was $300 for running the gas from the basement to the range (previously only electric stove). And I had the granite guys install the two pieces at the backsplash. I saved the island granite to set myself after installing the floor and setting the island on top. I wanted the cabs to sit on the subfloor plywood and the island to sit on top of the finish flooring. I ran all electric which was more extensive than I figured with dishwasher & disposal, range & fridge outlets and undercab lighting. It was a job doing the backsplash too. For some reason I didn't enjoy doing the tile so much but it turned out nice due to how-to video's on the web.

I am not a carpenter but I don't mind attempting stuff as long as there's no time limit. It took 30 days to get a working kitchen after starting demo and about 6 months total to finish due to working at my job full time.

I used some left over trim to put up a chalkboard paint "menu".

It was certainly a fun project. And I love how functional it turned out.

The one thing it doesn't have is seating around the island. Didn't plan any and don't really miss it because we don't have kids nor entertain in the kitchen. Strictly a working kitchen. Just what I intended because I love to cook.

• elyash
    11 years ago

Deja O,
    The site will e-mail you. Next time you post check off the box underneath the message saying you want follow ups e-mailed to you.
    In Lancaster (Amish Country nearer to me), the Amish do have phones outside their homes for business - that's why I asked. I am about 7 hours away - so if I want to meet with Sam, I would need to set an appointment up by mail. So, I assume you bring him all your measurements and photos of your kitchen. Is that correct? Does he do more contemporary styles as well as traditional? If you see him, can you ask him if can recommend anyone in Lancaster- - thats only 4 hours from me. I am thinking, in any event, he seems worth the drive. Thanks for sharing your wonderful find.

• Deborah Sigg
    11 years ago

deja o,

For the trim, did it come in long sections and you cut to fit at home with a saw?

I am just picking up my jaw off the floor, $4300 for all that. I am in Columbus, Ohio and would even fly and drive to this guy and get on a long waiting list and truck it back to Ohio for that!

• tstrombotn
    11 years ago

What is the finish of your cabinet pulls?

• Deja_Q
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes the trim came in 11 to 12 foot sections.

We found the pulls at HD or Lowe's, bought one and brought in to Sam. He then bought 42 from his supplier, and I think he charged me $3.25 each (about half price)

Finish is 'wrought iron dark'. I was surprised how well it matched the granite. We are so NOT interior decorators LOL.

Here is a link that might be useful: Amerock

• badgergal
    11 years ago

I also used Amish cabinet makers and for anyone in Wisconsin, I can highly recommend the
    Miller Cabinet Shop
    W4974 Hwy 44
    Markesan, WI 53946
    They do not have a phone so you have to write them a letter or take a ride to their shop (sometimes they are not in though because of installs or other events) So its best to try and make an appointment.
    They hire a driver to transport themselves and the cabinets to your house.
    Four carpenters arrived at my door at 6 a.m. and worked until 5:30 pm to install my cabinets and the charge for that was only $1,400.
    My cabinets were a bit more expensive than Deja's because I used select cherry and had several radius cabinets and doors but i found that they were 1/3 to 1/2 less than other custom quotes.
    Just as Deja_Q stated, it may be 6 to 9 months though before they can fill your order. I think it was definitely worth the wait. I have shown my kitchen numerous times but I will post a couple pictures for those searching for Amish cabinet makers.
    {{!gwi}}

• cmm1
    11 years ago

beautiful badger gal!

Love your granite. What is it?

• badgergal
    11 years ago

cmm1: my granite is Verde Peacok.. While it looks black from a distance it actually has blue/green and gold splotches in it. It's very hard to get a good close up picture of it but this one at least shows the color a bit
    {{!gwi}}

• ginny20
    11 years ago

If you're in Western or Central NY or Northern PA, I recommend my Mennonite cabinetmaker in Penn Yan. He does have a phone, a computer, and a showroom, and he has someone to drive him. They visit your home, measure, deliver and install. I called him with changes up until the week he started construction. He made a custom stain for me, and sent me samples of a few so I could pick. His cherry has no sapwood. Install usually happens in one day, and it's always on the day he tells you it will be. Amazing. You can also get custom furniture through him - beds, tables, chairs, chests. I think it's his BIL who does it.

Ray Hoover
    Whispering Pines Woodcraft
    4150 St Rte 14A
    Penn Yan NY 14527

607-243-8618

• elyash
    11 years ago

Ginny - He sounds wonderful. Can you give an idea of pricing as compared to Deja O's cabinet maker. Perhaps you can post a few pictures. Do you know if he can make contemporary cabinet doors?

• ginny20
    11 years ago

Deja got an incredible deal! Ray is more like the price of Home Depot (except it's true custom with all the bells and whistles), but he does deliver and install. I paid under $12K, including the Berenson pulls and knobs, which they also installed. It included extras like tip-out drawer,lap board pull-out, trash pull-out, end panels (which are made like an actual door, not just a panel screwed on to flat wood), spice racks, paper towel cubby, and two built-in receptacles under the cabs.

Ray will do full overlay, which costs a little extra. He does various door styles and woods. My friend had him do very contemporary slab doors with no hardware, just those indentations for your fingers to open the door. He also does painted finishes. And granite countertops, actually, although I used someone else for my counter. He does not do frameless cabs, only framed.

I'm afraid these pictures don't do justice to his beautiful work. If you are anywhere near him, you can see two sample kitchens in his showroom.

I needed more spaces for wine bottles in this little rack, so he did a custom configuration

• Deja_Q
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nice kitchen Ginny! I love the tone of the finish.

It's nice having all of those extras like trash pull-out and raised end panels. I have a "double" silverware drawer in the island--it has a top section that slides back after opening. I just finished making a custom-sized, two-tier lazy susan for the upper corner cabinet. It's as large as I could make it and still fit it inside...to take advantage of all that space in there.

• phoggie
    11 years ago

Beautiful kitchen! I have an Amish crew building my house...but they don't do cabinets. I'll ask if they know of anyone who does because there are several families in their community near here. They do wonderful work...and your cabinets show it!

• ginny20
    11 years ago

Thanks Deja Q. I have to say, I'm in awe of your serious DIY skills.

• toileluvrbr
    11 years ago

Ginny20, what is the name of your granite?

• ginny20
    11 years ago

Toileluvrbr - It's Typhoon Green. Surf Green is either the same or similar, as far as I can tell.

• susanlynn2012
    11 years ago

Giny20, nice price and nice kitchen. Thank you for sharing. Since the cabinets are framed and not frameless, do they have stiles in the middle. My cabinets are partial overlay right now and I have that bar in the middle that makes it difficult to put dishes in my cabinets and I would prefer the bar to not be there. Where are your installers located? I live in Northern NJ.

• susanlynn2012
    11 years ago

Badgergal, I love your kitchen so much! I love natural cherry cabinets that go to the ceiling. The Amish do a quality installation and building of cabinets it looks like.

• susanlynn2012
    11 years ago

Deja_Q- I love your counters and appliances and the price of your updated kitchen that is functional and created just for you! Thank you so much for sharing pictures and the great prices that you got.

• susanlynn2012
    11 years ago

Giny20- your cabinet maker is 4 hours & 19 minutes from me IF no traffic & Not breaks as he is 250.01 miles from me- Thanks for sharing

Total Distance: 250.01 miles 402.35 kilometers � Total Time: 4:19 h

• DJB123
    11 years ago

Hi Deja_Q, I looking for someone to make custom kitchen cabinets and came across your post. I also live in the Rochester area. From the looks of it, your Amish cabinet maker did an excellent job. I have a few questions:

1) Are the drawer boxes dovetail? Did he use Blum hinges and drawer glides?

2) Does he only go with "natural wood" finish or will he also do stained or a painted white finish. We're thinking of Natural Cherry for most of the cabinets and the Island painted/sprayed white.

3) Do you know if you need to setup an appointment to meet with Samual Yoder, or can you just stop by on say a saturday? I'm about 3 hours away and would hate to drive all the way up north and find out that he's not home!!

4) Also, if you know of any other Amish cabinet makers that are reasonable, please let me know.

Thanks,
    DJB123

• tealeaf1012
    11 years ago

wow, beautiful, what a deal! Wish I had amish cabinet makers in my area.... that is awesome!

• User
    8 years ago

Wow.. I just contacted him and his prices are amazing. Unfortunately his wait time is now over a year. I am in Rochester also. Do you have any other names to share? I also tried Ray Hoover. He is a bit easier to deal with as he is closer and uses e-mail. I'll let you know how I make out.

• ellenwoodworth
    8 years ago

You could head to cattarugus county. I am on Buffalo ny and I will be heading there next week with my plans.

There are many good cabinets makers to choose from. It will all come down to price. I am putting cherry in my kitchen. I want to see how expensive it will be or make the switch to maple.

• ellenwoodworth
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hopefully I will be able to get what I want under 7g's. I have a small budget for cabinets and this is the most reasonable way because I want solid wood cabinets. Not willing to pay for sawdust and glue!!!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

• User
    8 years ago

Ellen, I can't wait to hear how your trip goes. How are you going to know where to start? It looks like there are 100s of craftsmen there. http://amishtrail.com/business I have an appointment with Ginny's carpenter, in Penn Yan, but it isn't until June. Please keep us posted!

• ellenwoodworth
    8 years ago

I have met a few people who have used them so I got names and addresses.

• ellenwoodworth
    8 years ago

I would check out Ginny's but too far from Buffalo

• beachem
    8 years ago

Has anyone tried using Amish cabinet makers and then ship out such as to California?

• User
    8 years ago

Ellen, did you find out anything?

• ellenwoodworth
    8 years ago

My cabinets measure is happening Tuesday, heading out on Thursday to the Amish. Will know more after that.

• User
    8 years ago

Hi everyone. I met with Edward at Whispering Pines the other day. Wow! My entire kitchen can be re-done (granite too..although my other granite quote was cheaper) for a bit over $20k. I have a very large kitchen, with with 20+ doors and 25 drawers, and 80 sq ft of counter. This is not much more than the quote I got for construction and refinishing to "doctor" up what I have already. He has an 5 month waiting list but that is ok. I have one other quote, also from a Menonite. I will compare the two and then decide. Thanks so much!

• ginny20
    8 years ago

Wow, that is a great price, Sherry! And I know the quality will be topnotch. So there is at least one advantage to living in upstate NY... it's convenient to Mennonite craftsmen. Oh, and also for that excellent Finger Lakes wine, to drink during your reno.

• luissears
    7 years ago

how do I get in touch with cabinet maker?

• jhmarie
    7 years ago

Do you live close to an Amish community? I live close to Kalona, IA which has an Amish community and I know of one cabinet maker because he has a store in Kalona. If you live near a different Amish community, (I think Ohio and Pennsylvania have some - check the Internet) just ask at the drug store or antique store - someone will probably know one.

There are places listed on the Internet. This would probably be dealing with a "middle man" or distributer. I am not sure but I don't think the Amish use the Internet.

• luissears
    7 years ago

Deja_Q, Thank you for info on Mr. Yoder. I look forward to meeting him. Perhaps next year as Rte 81 N is no joke in winter!! Your kitchen is beautiful,

Thank you again.

• beenzmail
    7 years ago

If you are in this area also check out www.kustomkabinetry.com. I used them and the experience was phenomenal. They are Mennonite and work with an Amish builder that does the doors. I have solid cherry, all totally custom. They use computer software to help with planning and do the install. Any pictures I showed them they made it happen. Definitely not the deal déjà has, but still cheaper than the box stores with MUCH better service and quality. I contacted Mr. Yoder and he was up to a year waiting list and we were not comfortable doing so much of the work on our end, and only communicating by mail. Amazing deal if you can make it work. Good luck!

• luissears
    7 years ago

beenzmail

Do you mean the Rochester area? Thank you for the new info. I can wait for Mr. Yoder, but will check out your suggestion also. I love Deja_Q's pantry! I would kill for storage like that! Glad your project went well. Thank you again!!

• beenzmail
    7 years ago

Yes, I am in Rochester. Kustom is between Rochester and Buffalo. They will make anything you can describe to them, or show them in a picture. They will do the measuring and install and make computer pictures. They will also do under cabinet lighting and contract the counters.