Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
madeline616_gw

Marble Care/Restoration/Honing reccs in Nola/Baton Rouge/Houston?

Madeline616
10 years ago

Hi all,

Looking for a marble professional recommendation.

We've had our Vermont Danby counters for about 18 months now, and it's time for a professional re-sealing.

I live midway between Houston and New Orleans. We don't have any specialized marble care professionals in my town, so I'd like to try to find someone in one of these other cities who I could hire to come to me.

I might even be able to use someone from Dallas or Austin if they're willing to travel.

Besides the removal of old sealer and re-sealing, I have a few chips that I'd like to have repaired with epoxy. I'd also like to get a professional opinion on having the counters re-honed maybe every 5 years or so.

Any reccs would be appreciated!!

Madeline :)

Comments (12)

• Madeline616
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bump :)

• PRO
    Stoneshine
    10 years ago

I may know someone .
    I am out of town till Monday on a long beach weekend.
    Can you give me your zip or city. I can see who if anyone is closer.

• Madeline616
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, srosen!

I live in Lafayette, LA. It's 3 hours east of Houton, 2 hours west of New Orleans, 1 hour west of Baton Rouge.

Thanks a bunch!

Madeline :-)

• huango
    10 years ago

Professional resealing?
    what is that? for a specific product?

I have Danby marble and seal my countertop/backsplash every 2months (since I use my countertop heavily) with miracle sealant 511 porous plus. Absolutely no stains so far (only been 6months though).
    highly recommend it.

Amanda

• PRO
    Stoneshine
    10 years ago

Here is a company you can use to refinish your danby.
    Modern Stone care Houston ,Tx
    Phone - (832) 641-5333 Phone:(832) 814-2041
    Email - service@restoreyourfloors.net
    Speak with Jeff Hammond and tell him I refered you.
    Not sure what his work load is at the moment.
    I think he will be able to help you.
    They are very good.
    After 18 months you shouldn't need sealing.
    Sealer when properly applied and maintained can last anywhere from 3 to 10 years and beyond.
    Do the water test-puddle up a couple of palm sized puddles of water let them sit for 10-15 minutes and wipe away. If it leaves a darker mark then you know it needs to be sealed.
    The way to maintain sealers is to use PH neutral cleaners.
    I don't see much staining on danby at all.
    It will etch however.

• kam76
    10 years ago

Madeline would you be willing to post pictures of the countertops you are resealing/repairing chips? There are so many great pics of brand new marble countertops but not as many that have been lived in-used. I am getting marble for my kitchen, excited and nervous!

• Madeline616
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi srosen and Kam,

Srosen, thanks a million for this info!! I'm really grateful. And yes, my sealer seems to be holding up really well, so it's good to know that I don't need to reseal every year. I just thought that was what I was "supposed" to do.

Kam, I just took a couple of pics for you. The quality is horrible b/c of the sunlight streaming into my kitchen, but you can get the idea.

My counters are loaded with etches, and I love them anyway. I wouldn't consider re-honing now, but I would maybe think about doing it every 5 years if I'm going to have them professionally stripped and sealed anyway.

The chips aren't horrible, they're tiny, but I'd love to see if srosen's guy can remove them.

FIRST PIC:
    The chipping is visible on the edges of the counter. It's right above the DW, and it happened when mugs caught the edge while loading/unloading. Behind and to the left of the chips you can see a small, round etch. You can see another small, round etch right where the counter angle is cut, just behind the chips.

SECOND PIC:
    Here are a few of my many, many etches. I have no idea why, but they're always worst when they first occur. They somehow blend or soften with time.

My kitchen is extremely sunny, so etches really, really show. Also, I've chosen to live life and not try to prevent etching. I've been known to cut a lime directly on the counter. I wipe it up right afterwards, so there's no pitting, but I cook a lot, and these counters have seen more than their share of lemon, lime and tomato juice. It's all good :)

Good luck! I love my marble and wouldn't trade it for the world.

This post was edited by Madeline616 on Thu, Aug 8, 13 at 15:45

• HeatherL623
    10 years ago

Madeline,

My hubby and I are in the process of building a house in Broussard....small world :)
    Our builder sent us to see Chris at Acadiana Stone. It's right behind the post office on Bertrand.

We are thinking about doing carrara marble on all of our countertops, which is how I stumbled upon this website.

Chris has been very helpful and patient with us. He was very informative and did not immediately tell me I shouldn't get marble like most people do. He just told us the pros an cons and told us to think about it. He did say that if we went with the carrara, he does recommend getting it resealed every year, which his company can do. He also said that they can fix any scratch and ding and that they charge by the hour. I am pretty sure that they would do this even if they didn't do the install. I would definitely give him a call.

Sorry I can't comment on the actual job since my house is just being built but I can say that I feel like I can trust him and I know my countertops are going to be perfect! & GORGEOUS!! Glad to hear some other people have marble in the area :)

Acadiana Stone
    210 Toledo Dr.
    Lafayette, LA 70506
    (337)234-5994

• Madeline616
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Heather,

I'm so happy to hear that you found a fabricator you like! And I'm excited for your new build.

If you're interested in seeing a white marble kitchen, etches and all, you're welcome to come to Lafayette to visit my countertops, anytime ;)

Our counters are Vermont Danby Olympian White. We bought them from a granite yard in Monroe, and a fabricator here in Lafayette did them. We also used some of the leftovers to do the master bath in my parents' house.

Have fun making your selections, and just email me if you'd ever like to come see my kitchen!

Madeline

• kam76
    10 years ago

Thanks so much for taking and posting those pictures! Your counter tops are lovely. So glad you are still really happy with them even after the newness has worn off.

• Madeline616
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You're welcome, Kam. I'd do it all over again a indeed times, and hope you're just as happy as most if the marble people on GW.

Please lmk if I can be of further assistance :)

Madeline

• Madeline616
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You're welcome, Kam. I'd do it all over again a indeed times, and hope you're just as happy as most if the marble people on GW.

Please lmk if I can be of further assistance :)

Madeline

Sponsored
Cabido Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
DC & Montgomery County's Best in Full Service, Custom Home Remodeling