Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluekitobsessed

Truly invisible solution to keep door from banging against hood?

bluekitobsessed
15 years ago

Is there a truly invisible solution to keeping an upper cabinet door from banging against a range hood? I don't even want to see clear silicone bumper pads on either the cabinet or the side of the hood, as both are in a prominent location. (I may try the silicone bumper pads on the other side of the range hood where they would be unobtrusive.) The cabinet hinges look complicated to my un-DIY eye. Here's a pic:

Comments (13)

• jayne s
    15 years ago

Transom chains. They are visible when the cabinet opens. They get screwed to the door and to interior cabinet wall. (Mine are fairly near to the top of the cabinet.)

I have a ton of them in my kitchen.

jayne
    p.s. Am including a link to an example that came up in google. They can be made of different materials and are probably different weights.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sample of transom chain

• lowspark
    15 years ago

I don't even want to see clear silicone bumper pads on either the cabinet or the side of the hood

Why not? Believe me you'll never even notice them once they're up. I have a little clear bumper on my hood and I've completely forgotten it's there.

Another solution is to do some kind of a chain stopper inside the cabinet door that won't allow the door to open farther than the length of the chain.

• boxiebabe
    15 years ago

Sorry, I'm no help. I'm a big user of the clear rubber round bumper dealios. And I am with lowspark, I think if you placed a small one on the hood, you'd barely notice it, if at all, after a few weeks. Your cabinets are beautiful - that I believe that visitors will be so "Wow!"d with your cabinets, they won't notice a teenie little circular rubber dealio on your hood. :)

• heimert
    15 years ago

Can you ask your cabinet person if the hinges have "stops" in them? Some hinges can be set to open only a certain amount. Perhaps they can set these to 90 degrees.

• holligator
    15 years ago

I was just going to suggest what heimert did--hinges with a limited swing. My cabinet guy had installed all wide-swing hinges in my kitchen when we discovered that the pantry doors were hitting the corner of the soapstone counter next to them. Even after just a couple of weeks, my cabinet doors were slightly marred. He replaced those hinges with 90-degree hinges and the problem was solved. The doors could no longer open wide enough to hit anything.

• gfiliberto
    15 years ago

I have a chain on the cabinet next to my hood.

• bluekitobsessed
    Original Author
    15 years ago

As always, GW ROCKS!!! Thank you all!

• mindimoo
    15 years ago

artteacher_nj that kitchen is gohhhhhgious!!!

Blue -thanks for asking a great question! I hadn't ever thought of it before!!!

• redroze
    15 years ago

Awesome idea, I just may use it too!!

• stir_fryi SE Mich
    15 years ago

I also use the tiny rubber stick on bumper.

I actually think it looks better than that chain IMHO.

• susanilz5
    15 years ago

I have small clear bumper pads on the sides of my range hood, and they basically disappear. It's a simple solution and you'll never notice them.

• Laurie
    15 years ago

My dh used fishing line and a tiny eye screw. The other end attached to the plastic thing that holds the glass in place. He used two pieces of line on this cab. It opens up next to a curtain rod, so this was our solution.
    Hopefully, this picture will NOT show up as a red rectangle! I've switched from Snapfish to Photobucket to see if that was the problem.
    {{!gwi}}

• november
    15 years ago

another tiny clear bumper user here! but the chain is ingenious - I never would have thought of that.