Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sarah_smith841_gw

Granite Edge - 1/2 bullnose or 1/4 bevel?

Sarah_Smith841
10 years ago

We will have granite (Giallo Ornamental) installed in our kitchen and bathroom, and we are at the point to choose an edge.

I have read through the discussions on GardenWeb and am undecisive between the 1/2 bullnose or the 1/4 bevel. (Our only other option was a straight edge, but I didn't want sharp edges).

Can anyone share their experiences with the 1/2 bullnose or the 1/4 bevel? Was one less maintenance / less prone to chipping? Advantages, disadvantages?

Comments (35)

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

Is the 1/4 inch bevel the same as a pencil edge? That's what I have and I REALLY like it. I think it's more of an updated look than the bigger bullnose (my opinion only, of course), but is not so sharp an edge that it would be prone to chipping. I see no disadvantages to it and love the look of it, clean and simple.

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

Mine is the 1/4 inch Round T & B. Are you saying that you only have two choices from the fabricator, or those are the only two choices that you like?

My marble bath counter top has an edge that is similar to an Ogee on both the top and bottom, but without the rounded part (no illustration here is like it). It has been in place for 10 years and hasn't gotten any chips on the edges. While I do think the rounded edges are probably less prone to chipping, I haven't had a problem either way.

But in the kitchen where a lot of heavy things are getting moved around frequently, I'd probably go for the 1/2 inch bullnose over the beveled edge.

• Sarah_Smith841
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Jellytoast! Yes, we only have two choices from the fabricator... either bullnose or bevel.

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

I don't really understand why the fabricator isn't giving you more choices ... did he say why? I've really never heard of such a thing! Hopefully, someone else will chime in with a second opinion on that.

• katyde
    10 years ago

I have the 1/2 bullnose and HATE IT. My biggest kitchen regret. Screw the whole "chipping" thing. It's a rock. Go with the eased. It's better looking.

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

My edging is close to 1/4 round but is called something else that I don't remember. We chose it because it is comfortable to lean against but looks a lot like the eased edge.

Most of this decision is just personal preference. Just like what style cabinets to get.

• cheryleb
    10 years ago

I got the 1/4" round too. A friend got the full bullnose in quartz and I much prefer the flatter edge. I agree with katyde, it is a rock and I wanted it to look more like a rock. I love the look and even though I have only been in the house for 3 weeks, I don't think that will ever change. My counters are my favorite thing in the house.

• Sarah_Smith841
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Katyde - Why was the 1/2 bullnose your biggest regret? Looks? Durability?

I don't know if 1/4" round is an option. There were only 3 edging options available to choose (bullnose, bevel, flat polish).

• Sarah_Smith841
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Katyde - Why was the 1/2 bullnose your biggest regret? Looks? Durability?

I don't know if 1/4" round is an option. There were only 3 edging options available to choose (bullnose, bevel, flat polish).

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

While I can't speak for Katyde, I don't think durability is an issue with the 1/2 bullnose. Most people have a definite preference for the look of one edge over another. There are tons of kitchens out there with 1/2 bullnose edges and I'm sure lots of people are happy with that choice. But there are so many different edge options available, and it would be a shame if you had to settle for an edge that you didn't really want or like. You might want to speak to your fabricator and ask him why he doesn't do the other edges. You should also try to find pictures of counter tops with the edges he does provide to see if they are to your liking. Your fabricator will likely be able to provide you with pictures of completed projects showing the different edges and that might make your choice easier.

• cheryleb
    10 years ago

Perhaps it is that those edges come included in the price and the others are an upgrade. I would definitely ask. It is a large expense so you want to make sure it is right for you.

• Gracie
    10 years ago

I believe the flat polish is the same as the eased edge. That's what my fabricator calls it and it's what we got. The eased edge seems to be the preferred GW edge for a contemporary or classic kitchen.

• FmrQuahog
    10 years ago

I agree that eased is classic and desirable. For my money, it's the only acceptable edge profile.

• fsteph
    10 years ago

We went with eased everywhere in the house where we have granite, I love the simple, clean look of it and have never had issues with sharp edges or chipping..

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

IMHO, some edge profiles look better than others depending on the overall style of the kitchen, and some stones lend themselves better to one edge over another. I thought my granite would look to severe with the eased edge, though I do like that profile. That's why we selected the pencil edge ... still neat and clean, just a little softer. If I had a more elaborate or traditional kitchen, I might have selected a more decorative edge.

• cookncarpenter
    10 years ago

Another fan of the eased edge, or 1/4" radius at the most.... some things just need to be left simple, so the material can speak for itself

• Sarah_Smith841
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for everyone's feedback. I went to the fabricator's website, and they mention the "eased" edge and the 1/4 round or 1/4 round full. (The 1/4 round seems to be like a pencil edge). They did not mention this with us, so I will bring it up with them. I'm wondering... if we decided on the 1/4 round, is it better to have top and bottom round or just top only?

I liked the look of this kitchen... what edge do you think they used?

• fsteph
    10 years ago

No an expert but that looks like an eased edge

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

To me it looks like 1/4 round top and bottom (or, pencil edge as it is sometimes called).

• Gracie
    10 years ago

Eased edge, flat polish, same thing, so they did mention it.

• sautesmom Sacramento
    10 years ago

To me the only time a bullnose would look right would be when you have cabinet doors that have a rounded-top inset. Otherwise, I think the edge should echo the squareness of the cabinets, go with the bevel.

Carla in Sac

• badgergal
    10 years ago

When our fabricator came to the house to measure, he brought actual pieces of granite with the different edges we were interested in. This allowed us to see which looked best with our cabinets. Ask your fabricator if he has some sample edges that you can take home instead of just looking at sketches or pictures. They do not have to be the same granite you are ordering because it is just to see how the edge looks. We ended up with the eased edge.

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

I agree with badgergal ... seeing the edges in person is much better than seeing them in pictures or having us tell you which is better (we all have our own opinions!). Once you see them, you'll have an easier time chosing the one that is right for YOU.

• boop407
    9 years ago

I have worked for a stone fabricator for 7 years. And eased edge (or flat polished) is the most modern look, followed by the bevelled edge. An ogee edge is the most traditional look, while the bullnose edges are the most commercial and used by a lot of track home builders. Also if you choose an edge that is round on the bottom, you run the risk of water damage to your cabinets because the water follows the curve under the top. We offer 14 standard edges that are included with your fabrication. Some fabricators offer more, some less. There is an additional charge for custom edges, so be sure to ask! Hope this is helpful.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

"Also if you choose an edge that is round on the bottom, you run the risk of water damage to your cabinets because the water follows the curve under the top."

This is one of those things that is true in theory, but has little practical relevance. If you're getting that much water, cabinet damage is the least of your worries.

If anyone is worried about water traversing under the cabinets, have your fabricator cut a 1/8" x1/8" "drip slot" under the overhang. Any water that makes it around the lower edge and back will fall when it hits the slot.

• houserookie
    8 years ago

This is such a personal taste thing. One look is not intrinsically better than another. It's what one likes.

My approach to choosing the edge was first a practical one. I tried to imagine myself sitting at the island and eating, or working with a laptop. Thinking about my kids doing homework there. And so I figured that a rounder edge would prevent those awful lines/marks you get on your forearm. Also, the round edge seemed more comfortable to lean against while at the sink and prep areas. We went with the 1/2 bullnose and actually liked the look.

My dad has the Giallo Ornametal in his home with the 1/4 bevel. But they never really sit at the island. It also looks good.

• John
    5 years ago

Just got a new countertop and, carelessly, I kind of thought I was all set to get a straight edge based on my pre-install conversation with the measurer. But sure enough, my contract states 1/2 bullnose. I prefer eased, as one of the previous posters. It's what I had in my previous location. I do have a functional peninsula which has a large overhang and my agent is trying to convince me it's more practical and it turned out this way for the best. And I admit, I can't quite see it being an eased edge, with its arced shape. I also found this article:

http://www.kitchenbathdesign.com/879/reasons-to-round-over-your-square-sharp-edges/ 

which argues 1/2 bullnose or similar is the way to go, from a functional standpoint. There's not post-installation straightening that can be applied? Maybe I'll learn to like it. At least the inside of my sink is an eased edge.

• S C
    5 years ago
    The beveled edge is a very clean look. I'd go with that
  • John
    5 years ago

Beveled is pretty similar to 1/2 bullnose, to my thinking. No? I know it has really an extra edge rather than being entirely rounded.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    5 years ago

" I do have a functional peninsula which has a large overhang and my agent is trying to convince me it's more practical and it turned out this way for the best."

Your agent is correct.

• John
    5 years ago

Thank you, thank you. Still digesting it all...

• Kevin Callahan
    last year

Nothing compared to what you showed me this is probably about 30 years old you don't see these things very often period

• Kevin Callahan
    last year

Comes with a table it is a set

• Kevin Callahan
    last year

My friend told to take a picture of it still at my friends house she just got a puppy it's probably 1 foot from the floor the dog goes under neither and she is afraid the table is going to hurt here dog believe me if I had the space to keep this table I personally would keep it but it ain't up to me this table is old school

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional