Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenswrens

Critique my Layout please Kitchen/Hearth Room

jenswrens
13 years ago

My turn to seek layout help - again! This will be the 3rd kitchen Ive done with the help of my GW friends. :-) Even though my current kitchen isnt finished, it appears were finally getting close to going forward with the plans for our tear-down/new build. Were meeting on Friday to start modifications on the stock plan we chose. The original kitchen plan, while adequate, does not seem at all large enough for our needs, based on my past and current TKO experience. But maybe I'm just biased or spoiled. If you can help me get everything I want to fit in the original 20x20 space without feeling cramped, Im all ears.

Im sure there are flaws with the plan Ive drawn. Hoping to get lots of creative and constructive input here! If this build gets approved, it will be our "forever" home or at least until we retire in ~15-20 yrs.

This is a first draft, so right now Im looking for general impressions of the overall space and how it can best be arranged to fit our priorities. I have lots of details to share, but dont want to bog you down just yet. Questions, please ask.

Relevant facts: 3 person household -- two adults, one pre-teen + many pets (dog, cats, birds, fish, etc). Two- or three-butt kitchen. Almost everything (FP, windows, most doors, appliances, cabs, seating, etc) in this 27 x 25 "hearth room" can be moved around anywhere, anyhow, creatively, as long as we dont block southern light/views and maintain a light spacious feel. Cannot move the butlers pantry/DR/LR. Stairs could potentially move from one side of hall to the other, prn.

Goals:

- Maximize natural light/views*

- Fluid work-flow, motion-conserved food prep/cooking/serving

- Functional storage that makes sense I have lots of gadgets, dishes, etc that Id use if they werent stored in basement

- Entertaining (both formal and informal)

- Aesthetically-pleasing clutter-free space

* This is the only place I have specific requirements and reservations. See details below.

For now, on to the plans:

Original plan:

Full 1st floor plan for reference (I eliminated back porch to extend the HR to 27 feet wide, and added a mudroom):

With site location notes:

Kitchen/Hearth Room:

Method to the madness (or... why I drew it that way):

1) Maximize natural light / views

- This end of the house (northwest) is already inherently dark when compared to the other end (where kitchen currently is) but the site and other factors dictate that the kitchen be NW instead in the new build

- Mudroom is located behind FP in order to not block light/views

- Keep most large dense objects (fridge, oven, etc) on interior wall

- Want an unobstructed long view from front door to back door/window (i.e., dont want to see kitchen stuff or FR furniture (couches, etc) or mudroom junk from front door entry

- Want breakfast table to have at least 2 window views

- DH doesnt want table in NW corner d/t privacy issues (road is there & we dont like curtains)

Looking forward to any feedback you can give! Thanks!

Also, if you need better pics, let me know. (Don't know why they look so small here.) I have some elevation shots too if thats helpful.

Comments (8)

• Buehl
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Just time for a quick look...but one thing that jumps out at me is the refrigerator (or what I think is the refrigerator...it's hard to read b/c the print is so small).

Is the refrigerator that double rectangle on the right end of the bottom wall? If so, I'd switch it to the other end. In its current location, you'll be prepping right in front of the refrigerator. Yes, you have almost a 5' aisle, but it will still be an issue, I think, if you're trying to work there while others are trying to get into it. If it's on the other end of that run, then people can access it w/o getting in your way yet it's still close to you for prepping. It also puts it in a more direct line from the table in the upper left corner.

• rhome410
    13 years ago

I was surprised to see your name attached to a layout post! Another kitchen to plan...Fun!

Even for my family, this plan is BIG. Lots of walking. It's really nice, but I'm not sure I'd want it this spread out. But I love it, too. As you can tell, I'm waffling. ;-)

I'm not comfortable with the stove location, as it seems to be somewhat of a walk-through area and the island isn't oriented well to be prep space. If the stove were on the back wall behind the island, it would be great in relation to the island and prep work area. Your aisles are too wide for me! With the stove behind the island, I'd snug them closer together, for easy prep-and-turn. The widest aisles in my kitchen are 4 ft, and I wouldn't want them wider, especially where I work on both surfaces to each side at once. Maybe this is all too specific for where you are in the process right now.

Will your local building code/regulations allow this many windows? Ours wouldn't. Have you thought about things like where groceries will come in, etc?

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

It's a large, lovely space, but while your kitchen area is very generous, it seems like your seating area is a little tight. If there are three of you in the house, and you hope to entertain, you might want to add some extra seating. Since you have a very nice dining room, have you thought of a corner banquette with a couple of chairs, for the kitchen table? This would give you more room in front of the fireplace for comfy, upholstered seating :)

• plllog
    13 years ago

I agree with Rhome.

What I'm seeing, though I might be wrong, is that you've set up rules about your house first (walls and windows) and are fitting to that. I think you'll be happiest with the kitchen if you design a command center first, where the chief cook does the most work, and add in layers around that. It might mean a few compromises or creativities with fenestration, but it might be worth trying, even if you decide you'd rather have this kind of a plan.

What I see as written is a kitchen I wouldn't like to cook in. It's not horrible, just not wonderful.

Maybe it's bad feng shui. I don't know...

• shelayne
    13 years ago

Hi Jen!

I don't have anything relevant to add to this discussion, I just wanted to let you know that I saw your sneak peek on the IKEA Kitchens thread, and it is beautiful! Now we want some details!

See you over there? (Hint, hint)

~Shel

• tracie.erin
    13 years ago

A few things jumped out at me.

Your cleanup is so far from your dining room. I might consider putting it on the range wall. Still out of the way, just on the other side. This is also helpful if you plan to keep glassware in your pantry. There is a con in that it moves it farther from the breakfast.

Like Rhome said, your range is right in the traffic path and putting it on the wall behind the island protects it better.

I agree with Buehl about the fridge & freezer's location. Scooting it down would be helpful. If you did move the range behind the island and the sink to the north wall, you might even put all of it plus the ovens on that wall across the entry doorway. This would eliminate the run of counter on the south wall which would leave more room for longer breakfast seating, if you like, or whatever else.

• jenswrens
    Original Author
    13 years ago

No wonder I couldn't find my post - it's now listed under a different title! Ugh... bumping this to see if it changes anything. Then I'll come back and respond once I've gathered a few thoughts.

• jenswrens
    Original Author
    13 years ago

No wonder I couldn't find my post - it's now listed under a different title! Ugh... bumping this to see if it changes anything. Then I'll come back and respond once I've gathered a few thoughts.