Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
where to find similar backsplash

Posted by katmomma (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 13, 13 at 11:15

Hello,
Im apologizing in advance if this posts twice.
We are building a new house and im using this kitchen as my inspiration for cabinets, counters and backsplash. Houzz.com says the backsplash is "mizu" by walker zanger. I think it is Discontinued since i cannot find it anywhere online. Does anyone know of a similar looking backsplash ? Thanks!-

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: where to find similar backsplash

Woops! Here is the pic

o

One of my favorites too. So if anyone know, I'd be very interested.

o

Mizu is definitely discontinued. We have it in one of our bathrooms and bought among the last of it at a closeout price almost 3 years ago.

o

That pic gets posted a lot around here, always with sadness that it is no longer available. So pretty, it's really a shame.

I know the grazia rixi melange is a tile with nice variation, not sure if it's what you are looking for. Maybe if you can add what aspects you love someone will have a suggestion? I'm always amazed at how quickly people come up with awesome tile suggestions.

o

I was in HD and saw a similar tile today. They were called sandy beach mosaic made by daltile.

o

Here's another picture.

o

That HD tile is not similar at all to the Mizu. The Mizu tiles are glossy ceramic crackles, and mostly shades of light blue and green. Those HD tiles look like some sort of imitation stone.

o

Ok sas95 no need to get crazy! I just saw a similar looking tile today and posted it I never actually went and looked up mizu. And from a distance they do look similar. Just trying to help out.

o

I've always loved the WZ Mizu backsplash also, with the variation of glaze on the tiles themselves (at least that is how it appears to me). You know, sometimes when enough write in to a manufacturer asking them to produce a similar product, they will take it under consideration. Takes time though.

I'm focusing on The Complete Tile Vermeere line possibly for our BS. I've looked at a lot of tiles, and their glossy or crackle ceramics come in a wide variety of distinguished greens and blues. They spray the gloss on their hand made tiles, which yields some variation in color tone on a single tile but none vary a lot. Still, a worthy line if you're considering color tiles. Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Complete Tile Vermeere link:

This post was edited by SparklingWater on Sat, Jul 13, 13 at 22:32

o

Would a ming green marble backsplash be a possibility? THat's what I thought your tile was at first. Mpagmom used a sunflower mosaic version for her backsplash.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ming green marble Houzz

o

Sparkling, the Vermeere crackle is lovely. Do you have any idea on price?

o

I read it is their most popular line, and I believe it was $13.99/sf. Best check though.

It is lovely isn't it? I thank GW for mentioning it in a post. Might be worth a trip to NYC to see in person-love NYC.

o

Thank you for the suggestions everyone! I really love the Ming green marble and the Vermeer crackle as well. I will definitely be looking into those. I loved the color variation of the mizu. It is a good accent to the white cabinets but still subtle and classy looking that its not overpowering or anything .

o

Pratt and Larson has glossy crackle tiles. I used a mix of matte and glossy in an arabesque. The color I used is a beige/butter color so the variations within each tile aren't as pronounced as they would be in a darker color.

o

Grazia carries (affordable) craquelle tiles that are hand glazed but I don't know the colors if you are specifically looking for a gray blue green.

o

Thank you so much Sparkling. That is a very reasonable price!

o

I too have always loved the Mizu tile by Walker Zanger. Does anyone know what size tiles they were? They are just so pretty in the picture.

o

The tiles look to be 2x4. I would caution you about using ming green tiles unless you can sort out the ones with too much variation. Some are very light and some are very dark, so it won't give you the serene look of the Mizu tile.

o

katmomma - have a look at Heath tiles. Their handmade ceramic tiles have natural variation in color that will achieve the look in that photo (I used it as inspiration as well). Their tiles have a variability "rating" to indicate how variable the color will be in the finished product. I picked a tile with a high variability rating because I wanted that effect.

This will give you a sense of how a single color looks when it is highly variable:
Untitled

Untitled

o

Robinle, the Mizu tiles are 2x5.

o

I also love that Houzz photo featuring the Mizu tiles and had it marked as an inspiration photo. We ended up going with Solistone Mardi Gras tile in Carrollton. It's a glass mini-brick and the tiles are actually uniform, but they have a subtle stripe that results in a variegated look that I love. A couple of pictures are attached. Because it's glass it's a little more contemporary/modern, but I think it's subtle enough to work in a variety of different styles.
 photo IMG_1729_zpsba6d8aa7.jpg
 photo IMG_1730_zpsa2d3b8ba.jpg

o

How about Jeffrey Court Irish Ice, particularly in either Cork or Limerick?

Here is a link that might be useful: Jeffrey Court Irish Ice

o

Soibean and erhm your kitchens are beautiful! Do you remember roughly how much per sq ft you paid for your backsplashes?

o

the walker zanger ashbury line also has a very nice crackle finish and variation. i have always loved the colors of WZ tiles, they are so sophisticated!

o

I am thinking that Fireclay Tile may offer some excellent options as well.

o

Here is a link to the pricing - not cheap, but not crazy expensive either. Keep in mind that the tiles are made to order (unless you choose from their modern basics line, which is cheaper but has very limited color and size choices). I coveted their dimensional tiles but couldn't stomach the price of those. They also sell overstock tiles for less; it pays to check from time to time.

Here is a link that might be useful: Heath Field Tile

o

We got our Solistone Mardi Gras tile in Carrollton for about $25/square foot (including shipping). It's available from several different online sellers--we found the best price from Wayfair.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wayfair

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here