Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What should I put under a glass backsplash?

Posted by elaine_ (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 7, 13 at 11:12

I just put in a new tile countertop...my first DIY project! It came out okay (I give myself about a C+ for a first-timer), but I had a terrible time working with the cement board. I don't have a lot of tools, so I just scored and snapped, and it was a big pain.

Can I use cork board or some other kind of backer for the backsplash? Alternatively, if cement board really is the only good choice, can anyone recommend an inexpensive tool to use ? The backsplash has to go around two electrical outlets and a window, and I can't stomach doing that much score and snap!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What should I put under a glass backsplash?

You can use tile backer board that is more like drywall. The stuff that I used for our backsplash and fireplace surround was essentially fiberglass reinforced drywall. It is called DensShield and I got it from Home Depot.

Here is a link that might be useful: DensShield

o
RE: What should I put under a glass backsplash?

Cement board is cut doing score and snap. Tiles.....not so much. You can get an inexpensive wet saw at any of the box stores for under $75 that will cut smaller sized tiles a heck of a lot easier and more accurately than a snapper. It's an investment worth making for any DIYer who will do more than one tile project. It will make your life easier and you will wonder why you didn't buy it for your counter project. If you run out of tile projects in your home, you can always put it on Craigslist and sell it for almost as much as you paid for it. Much cheaper than renting one and you can take your time using it!

And for easier cutting of cement board, try a heavy duty carpet utility knife, extra blades, and a good straight edge. Score and snap just like you do drywall.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here