Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
reshal_gw

Where do you keep your paper towels?

reshal
14 years ago

Is there some new fangled paper towel holder than I'm missing in my new kitchen? I just realized my tuscan paper towel holder from my last house doesn't go with my new white kitchen and it got me thinking...where do paper towels really go? I looked at some finished kitchens and I don't see any paper towels sitting on the counter or hanging from the cabinets. Where are they? They can't all be behind cabinet doors, or could they? Where do you keep yours? Inquiring minds want to know...

Comments (57)

• rdsso
    14 years ago

Teppy what a good idea. Where did you get it? I have been looking for something like instead of those plastic things. thanks

• smilingjudy
    14 years ago

I am happy to see so many people have joined the "hide the paper towels" club. When I first stared my remodel, someone asked this question and I responded that I planned to hide mine in the sink cabinet. Most responders thought I was crazy.... only a couple of us in the club then. :)

• reshal
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I think I'm going with the majority and I'll mount a roll under each sink inside the cabinet to use as a backup to my dish towels. Now, which holder do you recommend that can be mounted to the inside of a cabinet door? Thanks everyone!

• lovlilynne
    14 years ago

I wish I had room for this solution:

In the new kitchen, I think I'll have the holder attached to the right-hand side of the cabinet on the left of the sink (same as my old kitchen), but I do hate the idea of putting holes into my new cabinets :-(

Lynne

• peggross1
    14 years ago

lovlilynne - that's gorgeous, but talk about over the top!!!

I'm pretty boring and just put the towels next to my stove and sink. When I need them, I usually need them FAST, so it's working for me as long as I have kids and dogs in the house!

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

What cabinets are those, Lynne? They sure are pretty.

I used to be so concerned about paper towel accessibility, but a while ago I decided to see how long I could wait after using up one roll before opening another. It was amazing to me how many times I just automatically grab the paper when a regular reusable towel would do as well.

Now that I've retrained myself, I just keep a roll in that irritating cupboard over the vent where most things are too hard to grab once they get way in there. The paper towel roll is just the right length to always be easy to get hold of, for the few times I really don't want to touch something with a towel I'm going to use again.

• erikanh
    14 years ago

Smilingjudy,

I'm happy to be crazy and in the club with you! ;)

Erika

• hsw_sc
    14 years ago

We have a polished nickel holder attached to the inside of our left sink-cabinet door. I love having them out of sight also.

• hgluckman
    14 years ago

We used to keep our paper towels on the counter. That changed when we got two bengal cats - they love to shred paper. Now, the paper towel holder is mounted on the inside of an upper cabinet. Also, paper napkins are kept in a drawer - no table top holder for us, and the bathroom doors must be kept closed at all times.

Every once in a while, we forget these rules, and the cats remind us why we do it. Here's what happens when we forget (this is in the "cat room.") Notice how small the kitten is. They're MUCH bigger now!

• lowspark
    14 years ago

I keep mine in my pantry. I have a wooden roll holder that can be mounted on a wall but it has a flat bottom and just sits on a narrow part of a shelf. I actually don't use paper towels much. Mostly I use a regular kitchen towel.

But I think most people do keep them in the open. When I have guests and they need a paper towel, they always sort of look around the kitchen quizzically before they ask where I keep them, which indicates that they expect them to be in plain view.

• dirtymartini
    14 years ago

Hmmm, this is an interesting thread. I was SURE I would put my paper towel holder under the cabinet to the immediate right or left of the sink. That's where I have always kept it, and I am afraid I will be lost without it there, since I am so "trained" at this point in my life.

Maybe I will do what some of you did...put the roll out of sight for awhile and see how I do...if I can handle it. I am all for keeping things out of sight AND using less paper products.

hgluckman-Your picture made me smile!

• teppy
    14 years ago

rdsso-
    i got my holder from bed bath and beyond. is there anywhere else for things like this? it is stainless steel and the roll slides onto one end. i mounted that end up so all i have to do is slide a new roll on when i need it. when i did my kitchen, i decided that i did not want any clutter on my counters or anything out in view if i can help it.

• shelayne
    14 years ago

Mounted under both sinks, as I don't want them on my new countertops or hanging from my new cabinets, at this time. For a while anyway.

I almost did a built-in holder (sort of like the one Lynne posted) above the trash pull-out, but really could not justify the loss of a drawer. It was a great idea on paper, though.

• User
    14 years ago

hgluckman that is hilarious! LOL!!!

We have one holder at the stove and one on the pennisula.

• holligator
    14 years ago

We have this "Martha Stewart" paper towel holder sitting out on the counter. With four giant dogs (one just finishing puppyhood), there is always some slobber or other bodily excretion that needs to be cleaned up, and I love having a holder that is always accessible and that I can take to the mess. I like this one because it has a spring-loaded center that keeps you from pulling off more towel than you need. It doesn't bother me to see this out, and it does go with the other finishes in my kitchen.

• remodelqueen
    14 years ago

I don't use paper towels, but I'm glad I clicked on this thread! Love that pic hgluckman!

• nursetammi
    14 years ago

What a great question this was. Hmmmm, always kept them under an upper cabinet in sight. Now I don't have many upper cabs (we opened the kitchen up to the river view we have, so we eliminated the upper cabs) so now you made be think about what I am going to do. Thanks for all the ideas. I may have to tackle this one next week.

• Britt
    14 years ago

Have you see the $300 no touch dispenser that measure and cuts the towel when you wave your hand near they sensors? Over the top but you know I want one :-).

Britt

Here is a link that might be useful: No Touch Dispenser

• arleneb
    14 years ago

Mine are next to the appliance garage, or by the stove on a stand similar to holligator's . . . but I may reconsider . . . that on-the-door-under-the-sink idea is very neat!

• allison0704
    14 years ago

I have a paper towel jar from the Workshop of David T Smith. Handmade. Ceramic. Piece of art. Love it.

Here is a link that might be useful: David T Smith

• cajunmommy
    14 years ago

Love the idea of the cubby that Lovlilynne posted. That would take care of the concern I have of wet hands opening the under-sink cabinets to get to the hidden towel holders.

Of course, do you just presume a standard size? My luck, just like the ever-expanding rolls of TP, the paper towel manufacturers will start making the Super, Giant, Bonus rolls that probably won't fit a few years down the road!

Now, the paper towel jar idea...genious! Functional art does not equal clutter!

• Happyladi
    14 years ago

I have always kept a roll mounted on the inside of my pantry door. Just this year I bought myself a nickel countertop papertowel holder. I like it, I don't have to walk over to the pantry and open the door every time I want a paper towel. I still have a roll mounted on the inside of the pantry but the one on the counter gets used more.

• nanny2a
    14 years ago

teppy -
    Is the link below the type of towel holder you have? I'm really interested in getting one of these because I'm trying to break my DH of his compulsion to grab a paper towel every time he turns around. We presently have ours mounted on the underside of a cabinet, and this has served us well in the past. Now that I use reusable products in an effort to conserve, I'm having a hard time breaking DH of this habit, and storing the towels where they aren't quite so handy for him might help.

Here is a link that might be useful: is this it?

• rosie
    14 years ago

Thanks, Hgluckman, for a good laugh.

I actually have an open cubby like in Lovlilynn's picture on my husband's long-term honeydo list when we finally get around to getting custom doors made. After all, it's just a wood box, set in top-to-front. I've measured, and mine will go in front of my prep sink, a bit lower than a top drawer would sit, with a custom door for the cabinet below that. A roll of paper towels is quite a bit narrower than our 18" cabinet, so the electric outlet that's hidden in the undersink cabinet now will be facing front next to the paper towels.

In the meantime, my roll is hanging on the inside of the door that will be replaced, with a cloth towel hanging on the outside, which works nicely.

• lesmis
    14 years ago

Allison I love that David T. Smith holder! But then again I love David T. Smith stuff, I even bought my father (who was a woodworker) his book many years ago!

My paper towels are just sitting on my counter on a black wrought iron holder from Target. I never really gave it much thought I guess. I don't go as far as buying the "pretty" paper towels like my mother used to, she used to match them to each holiday! lol

I loved the kitty picture, this is why I own dogs! ;-)

Kat :)

• Christine Decker
    14 years ago

I have a paper towel holder that I painted copper to match my copper double sink. I used to have one under the cab but I don't like dripping water hands all over my nice cherry cabs to get to the paper towels. Guests are also at a loss over trying to find them when they are hidden. Here is a pic!

Enjoy your kitchen!

Christine

From House pics showing various rooms compiled Sept 08

From faucet and soap dispenser pics

• teppy
    14 years ago

nanny2a-yes, that is it. it works really well.

• lululemon
    14 years ago

Mine are currently on a magnetic towel roll holder stuck to the side of the fridge that I got from Organized Interiors. It won't work in the new kitchen though, since the fridge will have wood panels on each side.

DH hates things cluttering up the counters, but I will probably keep it tucked in a corner out of view on a nice holder. I do really like the cabinet door mounted idea, but probably won't be able to stomach puttin any holes on the cabinets for the first little while at least.

• biochem101
    14 years ago

It's interesting that a product as simple as paper towels can have so many different viewpoints. I don't use them often, but DH goes through them BY THE CASE. (zelmar...3 rolls a YEAR??? I wish!)

The case is kept in the basement and the current one (I TRY to keep it at ONE but it's a struggle) is kept under the sink. It sits in the extra cat food dish. A sort of small ceramic holder. :) Not quite David Smith style. Thought about sticking it on an upright counter holder (because I wanted to buy a marble one) but it would be such a waste of time as DH grabs it to carry with him where ever he's working.

If I actually want the papertowels I have to look on the porch, then in the garage, or whatever room he's currently painting. Keep them attached to something in the kitchen? What a novel idea. Never happen!

• Buehl
    14 years ago

I have two holders on the counter...one on each side of the kitchen. When I need a paper towel it usually means my hands are wet or "dirty" and the last thing I want to do is open a cabinet with them! Almost as bad as the trash pullout. It's also nice to be able to pick up the paper towels and take them to where I need them.

My new paper towel holder is SS and has an arm that presses on the roll that allows me to easily tear off just one panel. (The other one is an old wood one that I had from my old kitchen...I'll keep using it until it falls apart...) We use the "select-a-size" paper towels that have the small panels and I've found that we've dramatically reduced the overall amount of paper towels we use b/c you usually only need a small panel.

Here's a pic of the new one. (You can see the old one in any of the sink/window pics I've posted on several threads.)

I got it at Bed, Bath, & Beyond.

Here is a link that might be useful: Oxo Good Grips® One-Handed Simply Tear Paper Towel Holder

• mountaineergirl
    14 years ago

wow how do people manage that don't use paper towels?? I would love to stop buying them, I go thru 2-3 rolls/WEEK!! I think I will try buying cheap towels at the Dollar Store and less paper towels, tho that means more laundry. Wonder which is "greener" ?? For those who do not use them (2-3 per year?!) what do you use to clean windows/mirrors? I keep a roll in one of the upstairs bathrooms for cleaning upstairs, a roll in the laundry room, and of course one next to the kitchen sink.

The holder I have I do not like. My mom bought it for me in Amish country (Ohio) several years ago, and after she passed away I could not bring myself to put it away. It has apples painted on it, as that's how I decorated my kitchen 11 years ago, but now that's been played to death LOL!

I need to stop drying stuff with paper towels and use more dishtowels.

• homepro01
    14 years ago

I use maybe one roll of paper towel a month. I have about 100 kitchen towels that I have purchased over the last ten years. I launder them twice a year. I use microfiber clothes or linen for cleaning windows. The paper towels are used for cleaning up oil in a pan or soaking up excess bacon grease. I use my cloth towels for everything. My friends have all started converting slowly to cotton towels too. Anytime Williams Sonoma would have a sale, I would get some towels. I amassed them over time not all at once. I think it is a greener alternative because you are not filling up the landfill but you are creating waste water from laundry that will be treated and recycled. My mom never used paper towels so I never was enamored with them to start with. Also, I am shocked at the current price of Viva towels which are the ones I like. They used to be about $5 to purchase an 8pack at Target and now they are $8.99 for an 8pack with smaller rolls. I only know that the rolls are smaller now because I still have two 8packs from about 2years ago.

Cloth towels are a lifestyle change and they take time to get used to. I do wash and fold mine so they are easy to grab and they take up cabinet space in my kitchen. You have to understand how you use paper towels and then see if cloth towels will work for you. I wash mine at 190F in my Miele and they are still white without too much fussiness.

Good luck!

• mountaineergirl
    14 years ago

Ok well I am now really blown away by the idea of not using paper towels. 2 packs from 2 years ago? I go thru an 8-pack/month! Surely laundering them only twice/year is a huge exaggeration - wouldn't they stink?

I will have to explore this idea of only using cloth towels. :) First I need to buy more, and hide the paper towels.

• desertsteph
    14 years ago

"Cloth towels are a lifestyle change and they take time to get used to"

when i was growing up we always - only used dish towels and dish rags (clothes) in the kitchen. we never had paper towels. i don't even know if they made them back then or we just couldn't afford them. I don't remember anyone I knew using them tho.

I have a drawer planned in my kitchen for them already.

• homepro01
    14 years ago

Mountaineergirl,
    Typing too fast. I wash the towels twice a week:-) I also have started weaning myself off sponges and I am using wash towels to do the dishes. I use a towel a day or sometimes two or three for dishes and they get laundered with the cloth towels.

I don't really remember using paper towels as a kid either but somewhere along the way, they became part of the shopping list. I figure the money I was spending on the disposable items can be redirected to more permanent pieces. I usually purchased the Williams Sonoma cloth towels when they were on clearance. I was not obsessive about color. They were always white with some other color based on the season. I paid about $8/pack of four and $4/pack for the 6 of the dish clothes.

Good luck!

• teppy
    14 years ago

whew! homepro, i'm glad that you clarified that. i didn't want to say anything about washing your towels 2 times a year.

i do use alot of towels and paper towels in my kitchen. They are under my sink now, but that does not stop us from using them. my DH gets them by the case from somewhere here locally. i don't have any set rules on when to use paper and when to use towels. i do always dry my dishes with my towels. i usually tend to clean my windows and mirrors with the paper. i take out a clean dishtowel and dishcloth every morning. by the end of the day, i have only used that one set and wash them with the rest of my load of towels. if i have company or if i'm really cooking that day, i can sometimes go through 2 or 3 dishcloths and 5 or 6 dishtowels.

• laurielep
    14 years ago

I'm a paper towel addict! I actually started buying Bounty select a size because I don't go through them as much as the larger ones.
    My grandmother never had paper towels and I always wondered how she survived!! Just a wash cloth and some water.

All of my life, even as a kid we had those plastic under the cabinet paper towel holders. So when we re-did the kitchen I didn't know what I was going to do since I have track lighting under all the cabs and there is no way I could put paper towels next to the lights.
    I found a nice heavy base holder and I love it. I thought my kids would constantly be pulling out a bunch of towels at once or pulling it off the counter but so far so good. It's made by Simple Human. They have lots of nice holders.

Here is a link that might be useful: Simple Human

• prill
    14 years ago

I love that little nitch cut into the cabinets for them. WHat a great idea. I keep mine under the upper cabinet. Easier to get to. Opening a cabinet door to get to them seems like alot of trouble, but maybe you get used to it. Like opening the door for the trash - which we probably do much more often.

• erikanh
    14 years ago

"Opening a cabinet door to get to them seems like alot of trouble"

Yes, it is inconvenient, but that's why I keep mine there, to encourage my family and myself to use cloths instead of grabbing a paper towel.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

FWIW, for anyone who's interested, I was at homegoods today and they're selling bundles of ten microfiber kitchen towels for $9.99 in a variety of colors. I know that merchandise varies a lot by store but if you're in the market for towels it might be worth checking out.

• plllog
    14 years ago

And some people put their paper towel holders under their computers....

{{!gwi}}

• erikanh
    14 years ago

LOL pllog, is that an Ikea Grundtal paper towel holder? I have one that I decided not to hang from my Grundtal shelves. Ikea is over an hour away so I'm not sure if it's worth returning. How did you come up with that idea? Is it attached to a magnetic board?

• plllog
    14 years ago

Erika, It's Ikea, but that's all I know. Click the picture to see where it came from. Just something I saw on the 'net. :) I think the surface is lucite. I don't know if there are vent holes...

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

> Is it attached to a magnetic board?

Don't do that. Magnet+hard drive=oops.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

the one in the pic is plain lucite underneath

• elizpiz
    14 years ago

Off topic of the Ikea holder (which is hilarious) - Allison, if you are checking in on this thread still, when did you get your David Smith holder? I've checked out the web site, but don't see any like the one you have. I love the idea of having something beautiful hide a utilitarian object. Sure is a step up from the toilet roll "ladies" from the 60s!

Eliz

• erikanh
    14 years ago

I don't think Ikea's magnetic board is a magnet, it's metal that you can put magnets on. I want one for the inside of my pantry door but I forgot to get one on my last trip.

• Gemcap
    9 years ago

Simple and ingenious

Clip on Towel Holder

This post was edited by gemcap on Sat, Aug 9, 14 at 1:31

• romy718
    9 years ago

Crate & Barrel, about $20.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz