Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kamkar2006_gw

Verizon scratched the wood floors everywhere!

kamkar2006
11 years ago

Can someone explain why sub contractors and the folks that come into your home give such as hard time taking off shoes or putting on booties. I had verizon here all day installing cable etc and let me tell you, they gave me a hard time putting on booties, then he just got angry about it and just walked in and out of the house with the booties on. I was by myself and these guys were creeping me out so I decided to try not to get upset since they were getting so annoyed with me about the bootie thing. Well when they left this is what they had done, EVERYWHERE. I ran outside and the guy said, "I don't know, call 1800 verizon." I called verizon and they said we will have someone call you! I am so upset.

Comments (45)

• rocketmomkd
    11 years ago

That scratch is bad. If that's all over your floors, you should be livid! It doesn't look like a boot could have done that, though. Do you think maybe it could have been some of their equipment?

• _sophiewheeler
    11 years ago

Anything shiny and dark will show the inevitable scratches quite a bit more than something medium in tone and more matte. While they should have been more careful, your choices in your product have a big bearing on how visible the (inevitable) scratches appear. Those first scratches are always upsetting. YOU should be the first one to make those! However, as time wears on, and many more of them appear, the lived in patina look won't give you near as bad of a heart attack as the first couple of scratches.

• pigeen
    11 years ago

I don't know how this will work on dark wood, but when I got my first scratch on red oak, I rubbed a walnut into it and it definitely improved things.

• momfromthenorth
    11 years ago

Oh geeze, I would also be livid. Time to go to the Verizon office and do eyeball-to-eyeball with a manager. Invite him to the house to show him what the installers did. That's bad.

We were thinking about changing to Verizon when our contract is up but hmmm, this makes me rethink that plan.

• Fori
    11 years ago

Yeah, Kamkar, you just picked the wrong floor??!!? Actually, no. The Verizon contractor messed them up. It's not standard operating procedure and you are not supposed to just accept it because of "your choices".

I hope Verizon has a decent solution for you and be sure to let them know how rude and intimidating the installers were.

• corgimum
    11 years ago

The fact that they wore the booties outside rendered them totally useless. If you are getting a hard time from other sub-contractors too, you may want to put brown paper down on your wood floors until all of the work is done.

I hope Verizon makes it right for you. Those installers owe you an apology.

• babs711
    11 years ago

I'm so sorry! That's awful!

We have darker floors but they're matte. When we moved in, the movers scratched our floors in a few places. I went over those places with a chopped walnut and the scratches disappeared. I'd never tried that trick before. But it totally works...even on dark floors. I was amazed! Try it out and let us know. I'm anxious to know if it works on polished floors too.

• marcolo
    11 years ago

While you're waiting for them to call, look up your local small claims court and see whether the damages limits are high enough to pay for professional restoration. Your house, your rules, their only option: Obedience.

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

I guess I'd have been asking for the name of their supervisor while they were there. And made the call THEN.

Heads up to all tho - protect your floors. Seems like a LOT of contractors just don't care.

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

This is why they have insurance. Make them fix it. Perhaps it will help them train their techs to do better. My creepy tile guy refused to take off his boots in the house, even after the bedroom carpet was in, he just walked right across it. Everyone else would take off their shoes before walking on carpet.

As far as paper on the floor goes, I asked why they did not put paper down after my hardwoods went down. (I ended up getting some myself at Lowe's and doing it) I was told that the head of construction decided that it was tearing and things were getting under it and ruining the floor....but wait, it gets better..."and when contractors show up and see the bare floor, they will take off their shoes".....hahahah, never ever saw that until after the floors were cleaned right before settlement.

Stand your ground. Get them to fix them.

• sis2two
    11 years ago

I would be livid! I agree that you should stand firm and demand that they fix those floors. That is a pet peeve of mine whenever workmen have to come inside. Most of the time if they wear booties at all, they go in and out with the booties on. Do they really not get it?
    Honestly, I feel for you and hope you get this resolved quickly.

• schoolhouse_gw
    11 years ago

Deliberate scratching? No way to prove it but that's the first thing I'd think of, but then I've been told I have a good imagination. Good imagination? I just trust (most) workers! ;)

• schoolhouse_gw
    11 years ago

That should have been "I DON'T trust most workers". :(

• secondhalf
    11 years ago

Ah, Verizon. Today, I almost went through the phone after days of phone calls and hours on hold-- my entire first floor remodel was held up due to getting the run around from three different departments at Verizon. When I was told that they didn't schedule the appointment because I asked for a line to be "snaked" and I should have said "moved," I flipped. After flipping, I was "escalated" to "corporate" (their words, not mine) amd someone there actually took pity on my journey through Verizon hell- someone will allegedly be here tomorrow first thing. We shall see.

And last year, when they installed the FIOS, the sub killed a tree and ruined our grade/vegetation. They did come out and replace the tree, but it cost me hours of my time.
    My lesson in dealing with FIOS- do not get off the phone without speaking with a supervisor and being given a complaint number. Get that person's name and keep track of the time you spend on hold. And plan to put your phone on speaker and carry it around while doing projects around the house so you don't blow a gasket about all the time you're wasting. but don't let this go. The subs should not behave that way, the company needs to know, and I am so sorry they made you feel this way. It's not right and it's not the way business should be done. Good luck.

• secondhalf
    11 years ago

Ah, Verizon. Today, I almost went through the phone after days of phone calls and hours on hold-- my entire first floor remodel was held up due to getting the run around from three different departments at Verizon. When I was told that they didn't schedule the appointment because I asked for a line to be "snaked" and I should have said "moved," I flipped. After flipping, I was "escalated" to "corporate" (their words, not mine) amd someone there actually took pity on my journey through Verizon hell- someone will allegedly be here tomorrow first thing. We shall see.

And last year, when they installed the FIOS, the sub killed a tree and ruined our grade/vegetation. They did come out and replace the tree, but it cost me hours of my time.
    My lesson in dealing with FIOS- do not get off the phone without speaking with a supervisor and being given a complaint number. Get that person's name and keep track of the time you spend on hold. And plan to put your phone on speaker and carry it around while doing projects around the house so you don't blow a gasket about all the time you're wasting. but don't let this go. The subs should not behave that way, the company needs to know, and I am so sorry they made you feel this way. It's not right and it's not the way business should be done. Good luck.

• andreak100
    11 years ago

Sorry to hear that you had to go through all that and that the marks are there to show for your discomfort.

So, ***don't*** try to fix the floors in any way right now. Let them be until a Verizon rep (their insurance adjuster?) gets out there to see them.

Sadly, this lack of care isn't limited to Verizon - it's rampant. Heck, when we were looking for our hardwood restorer, one guy took his shoes off and left them on the front porch while the other one traipsed through our house in his (filthy) work boots! Granted, we have him in to redo our flooring, but really, we didn't want them made any worse than they already are! Guess which hardwood guy got our business, even though he was significantly higher priced...we felt he was truly the better value.

As to scratches now or in the future, the walnut (or really ANY oily nut) does do wonders to help eliminate/hide them. We did it a good bit with our house that has 60+ year old hardwood. Rub the nut in the area that is scratched, then use a clean, dry cloth (make certain there is absolutely no type of gritty residue) to buff it and - voila, virtually gone.

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

Insurance? That and a dime won't get you into a port-a-potty. I am NOT hijacking with the following. There is a point.

August 18th it'll be an entire year since Thompson Creek (local gutter/window/door company) put in my outrageously expensive gutters, which I chose for their lifetime warranty.

The water immediately backed up and has ruined (mold) and continues to ruin the underside of my porch.

SIX MONTHS of calls and "coming to take a look" etc., I got an email telling me the "damage to your patio room was not the fault of the leak in Thompson Creek Gutters".
    1) no patio. Don't even have one. It's a porch
    2) no leak. Just bad installation.

Since I threatened to file an MHIC (home improvement commission) claim against them, they turned me over to the SUB'S insurance co. Huh? My contract is with TC. The truck that came to my house THREE DIFFERENT TIMES said TC on it.
    Visit 1) caulk
    Visit 2) more caulk on the black shingles (white caulk)
    Visit 3) to take pictures.

To date, TC won't respond to anyone, any insurance company, or any phone calls.

So don't get all happy about insurance. That would be my point.
    And don't do anything to the scratches just yet. Take lots of pictures. Your paperwork you signed with this installer should have his info on it.

Oh - and I just had stain professionally made matching my hard wood. I just use an eyeliner pencil and fill in those babies. If they're bad enough, Timbermate to fill, stain to match, and a bit of wood sealer.

• kamkar2006
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone! I love this site, simply because of all the great advice, but also all the good words and support! I should have waited with the walnut but it was too tempting to try. It did work nicely but the scratch in the pic was so deep it still shows quite a lot.

Verizon is useless. When I complained the "opened" a ticket, whatever that means, for a supervisor to call me, he noted the account that I did not answer the phone at 10 am so he closed the account. Then, when I called they deliberately had me on hold for about 1 hour, while the rep argued with me about the process. First he told me I had to wait for another ticket to be opened, then he said never mind, since you threatened to sue, you have to deal with legal, then he said call the claims dept, then he said, actually your only recourse is to wait for a phone call back. He would not escalate my case, or put a supervisor on the phone. The calling and arguing is too stressful right now with just having moved in, but I won't give up. I just need to muster some more fighting power and make more calls. I would love a corporate number for FIOS if anyone has one?!
    My floors are actually matte, they just look shiny because of the flash. This is actually what the floors look like.
    I will keep you guys posted!

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

I have FIOS and have found them to be pretty useless.
    What options do you have for other connectivity?

Closed the call ticket? Without your authorization? Nuh-huh. That in itself is enough to rattle the their customer service principles, so make a stink about that, too.

I was a network administrator and trouble shoot well before I force myself to get on the phone. I'm dealing with them in another window right now, as a matter of fact.

I refuse to talk to low level support and just insist on a supervisor. I don't get drawn into argument. I say, "I understand I'm refusing to cooperate and you've done your job. This call is being recorded. Pass me on to a supervisor." Again and again and again. It's kind of like The Look.

Continue to document names, etc.
    Don't give up but quit fixing things.

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

Verizon Corporate Office Headquarters:
    140 West Street
    New York, NY 10007
    Corporate Phone Number: 1-212-395-1000

also have seen this # (800) 837-4966

• marcolo
    11 years ago

You have a lot of options, but they take time.

First thing, get some quotes to fix it. You'll need those anyway.

You can file your own insurance claim and make very explicit that Verizon is responsible. They won't get to ignore an insurance company. Although you may not want to do that if the amount is small.

Call the Verizon claims department yourself. (I found this number, don't know if it works: 866-339-5659). Or legal.

If the amount is small, you can take them to small claims. They may not even send a lawyer, so you win by default. If so, the conventional wisdom always used to say you could never collect a small claims judgment against a corporation. However, after the mortgage crisis, legal actions against banks cleared the path for an effective technique: Place a lien on their local office (not that hard) and get a sheriff to go seize it. The sheriff will expel all the employees from the building, and while Verizon remains liable for its rent and utilities, no one can enter until your majesty deems it so. Works on the banks every time.

Yes, it's a PITA but do not let it go. So many Americans coddle corporations and corporations purchase so many congressmen they think they are a law unto themselves.

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

I think you're right, marcolo!
    We're taught that they have so many $$ resources they can tie us up in court forever.

I love the idea of a lien on a business office. Can you imagine their call to their headquarters...

• deegw
    11 years ago

Hopefully you have a Verizon office in your town. Physically go to the office and make your complaint there. I could bore you with my long Comcast tale but I won't. In a nutshell, after waiting for HOURS on the phone and getting no results, I went to the office in person. Problem solved in three minutes.

• kamkar2006
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow, THANK YOU everyone for ALL of your help! I actually took your advice and found the closest FIOS store and called them. The lady there was so helpful and has arranged to have a foreman call me to come and assess the damage. Why did I not think of calling the local office? Well thank you for all the advice and tips!
    Marcolo- I almost started the ball rolling with your advice! What great advice. I would never have thought about doing that!
    I'll keep you posted on what happens!

• aliris19
    11 years ago

OMG - I haven't even read all the ire above; I can just feel it from skimming. Or maybe my eyes are too red to read through them.

A FiOS sub broke a grating on our house and a large window-pot flower pot *many years ago* now. I spent probably at least 20 hours on the phone to dozens of people about this. I sent photos about 20 times. I have all the emails to prove that. I was assured, on several occasions, speaking with supervisors of supervisors, that this was all unacceptable and a check would be forthcoming.

It hasn't come from anywhere, forth or otherwise.

This was years ago now. Just thinking about it makes my eyes start to bug out. Honestly, the wear and tear on one's internals cannot make its pursuit worthwhile, for me, at this point, all that marcolo says notwithstanding. No way.

Who is it -- someone on here has a great term for their no-goodnik contractor DTSB - dirty thieving scumbag? I think it's nothing like this in reality but in essence that's the ticket. Only hers went on for longer.

This is what I think of Verizon each and every time I am forced to think of Verizon: dirty, thieving, scumbaggy, lying, incompetent ... maybe someone else can think of another adjective for them. I'm just left flopping in splutter-land.

I hate those guys.

FiOS is our +/- only option. (poor little rich kid!). [in fairness, our FiOS service has been +/- OK and when it hasn't been I have had techs go out of their way to help. But these are a different breed from the schmucks who stalk in here and slam some wire around]

• babushka_cat
    11 years ago

i have learned the hard way that an ounce of prevention is the best cure and that i am the one that has to do this proactively as most workmen just don't get it. i have a large roll of the rosin paper, cardboard sheets and a bunch of blankets on hand. now when any worker comes to my house i roll out the paper, put down cardboard and throw quilted blankets over anything that needs protecting. i used to resent having to do this myself but at this point i just do it and it has helped keep issues to a minimum.

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

This has nothing to do with VZ. But, when the movers broke the cord on our dryer, a new part was ordered and a local repairman was contracted to come do the work. Fine. He came. With the part. I showed him to the brand new laundry room with the brand new marble floor. It doesn't look like marble to the mere mortal (as proven to me by the ding-dong tile installer who kept trying to score and snap it....)...anyway, I went about my business downstairs and heard this horrific noise. I went up and asked if he needed a piece of masonite to slide the dryer out. He said no, he got it. I said, "ok, you wouldn't want to scratch the floor, it IS marble". I think he figured it was "just" tile and it was ok to drag the dryer across it! He did scratch it. He must have looked. Because when he was done, he lifted the dryer to put it back in place. Honestly, I have never seen an appliance person pull out an appliance w/o protecting the floor. He made sure to give me his card because they "repair 'em all". I tossed it. Immediately. As if.

• marcolo
    11 years ago

It's probably best to show your taser immediately to any contractor who rings your bell.

• gsciencechick
    11 years ago

It sounds like things are looking better for you with the local office. Good luck.

I guess we are fortunate the HVAC maintenance techs always use the booties in our home. We get the same rotation of guys over the past several years, so they know us and our system well.

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

tazer.
    hmmmmmm...

• colorfast
    11 years ago

When FIOS was installed in my neighborhood, they said they had a machine they wanted to put on my driveway, which is sloped. They needed to put it there for the correct angle. I asked how big it was. They said no bigger than a table saw. They next thing I know, a machine about 9 feet long is on my driveway and they're firing it up. I go out to talk to them but it's too late. I watch them crack my driveway.

The FIOS guys didn't even argue. They called the manager who came out and ordered their concrete sub to do a repair. I did have to call him a couple of times to get him to my house. Since my driveway was built in sections, the concrete sub sketched out how he'd fix it. He did a better job than the original driveway. So there is hope.

Good luck!

• Delilah66
    11 years ago

Does ReStore carry tasers?

• kamkar2006
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well after more than a week of calling, crying and pestering verizon someone is finally coming to look at the floors tomorrow. Will keep you guys posted!

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Stay on course. I wasted many hours with vz after dd passed away. I was livid with their incompetence!

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

Get the person's full name, their supervisor's name, their direct phone number and their home number. Ok, that last one probably won't fly. But get their supervisor's phone number too.

And let them get a glimpse of your taser on the table.

• Sharon kilber
    11 years ago

Ask them how they would like to go in front of Judge Judy. I, would .go right to the top. Forget the supervisors . They will just past you around. We always go right to the top. Got a brand new refrigerator , that we had problems with. A new car, after six months of problems. And a cable co had to patch and paint our house, because a service guy decided he, would
    string the cables around the outside of our house like Christmas lights. Good luck!

• texaspenny
    11 years ago

So, did he actually show up?

• PRO
    modern life interiors
    11 years ago

Verizon has a CLAIMS DEPARTMENT. Call and tell what the workers did. You might have to take photos. Somebody will come out and look at it. You may also tell them their workers were hostile and verbally abusive to the cusomer.

• PRO
    modern life interiors
    11 years ago

You may also report Verizon to the publi service commission in your state. PSC regulate utility companies. They will get them off their butts to solve the problem.

• kamkar2006
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hello Everyone!
    So yes, the supervisor came. He basically told me that of all 10 groupings of scratches only one set was really attributable to his guys. I told him I had a zero deductible on claims through my moving company and I was only asking them to repair what they did. Reluctantly he looked at all the scratches and told me to send him a quote. But he certainly did not believe his guys made the scratches. Why would I bother calling Verizon and go through all the BS if they did not do it! Well my floor guy came today and is coming back next week with a quote to fix the scratches which he said would be fine to fix and would not be costly! Thank goodness because I cannot stand anymore people coming in and out the house! Needless to say I bought a box of booties today on amazon!

• marcolo
    11 years ago

Just have the floor guy write up the estimate to fix all the scratches so it sounds like it's only for the set the VZ vermin admitted to.

• iroll_gw
    11 years ago

Just in case, find out how to get in touch with your local TV consumer investigator.

• ww340
    11 years ago

I had had a problem with Verizon that nearly drove me to nervous distraction. It took so much of my time that when I finally got it escalated to an upper level, I told them they owed me for my time. I gave them the time and place of all my hours dealing with them and got a nice discount on my services for several months for my time, plus I got resolution to my problem.

It did not make up for the time and aggravation, but it helped. So keep track of your time spent dealing with them. Time is money.

• phoggie
    11 years ago

I hate to hi-jack.....it is the "meat" of the walnut that you use on the scratches? I have one in a dark table that I want to try this on. Thanks......and good luck with that Verizon problem!