Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jackson2348_gw

Bar stools on wood floors-what did you do?

jackson2348
9 years ago

I've got 4 bar stools for my island and I'm concerned about them scratching my new wood floors. I've used the stick on felt pads before, but they seem to fall off, collect dust and pet hair, etc. I wondered if there's something better out there to protect the floor. What did you use?

Comments (22)

• brightm
    9 years ago

Looking forward to hearing responses. We've got LVT so I didn't think we needed to baby anything. But chairs have scratched it. We thought the rounded plastic nubs would be good, nope, first scratches. So we've gone with felt and have all the issues jackson mentioned. Our next mistake was bringing out folding chairs when extra guests showed up. More round nub feet, more scratches. I got some little booty-style caps for those and that seems better. But for the DR chairs, I'd love to hear this answer.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Same problems here - both barstools and dining room chairs (the latter of which were on a rug, but we returned the rug and haven't selected another one yet). The felt do work (the plastic ones do not, they're just as bad as the chairs themselves), so long as they stay on, but they don't stay on long :-) We just got some Olde English scratch cover, but haven't tried it yet.

• brightm
    9 years ago

These?

Here is a link that might be useful: pads

• breezygirl
    9 years ago

I use felt pads on my DR chairs, barstools, extra folding chairs, and anything else that touches my floors. The felt pads have done a great job of staying on everything except the folding chairs. I have to recheck each folding chair when I get it out. Thankfully we don't use them that often. Yes, the felt pads do collect copious amounts of cat hair so I have to clean them regularly. It's worth it though.

I was tempted by those plastic discs until I read a thread here some time ago about them scratching as badly as not using anything. Speaking of which, you might search for that old thread. It was fairly long and mentioned many different products. You could find some useful info.

• brightm
    9 years ago

Also these (other ones were ring, these are spike).

Any thoughts on pros/cons of either?

Here is a link that might be useful: spike pads

• sixkeys
    9 years ago

Marking for solutions! We have the same problem. Current kitchen floor is scratched from stools on wood floor, dining rooms chairs collect dog hair on the felt pads. Would love a better option for the house we are building.

• sixkeys
    9 years ago

Maybe this would be a good option?

http://www.amazon.com/Waxman-4701395N-Furniture-Sliders-Oatmeal/dp/B000PBA8E2/ref=cm_cr_dp_asin_lnk

Anyone have experience with something like this?

• Gooster
    9 years ago

I've used the ring style with felt with no problems at all. The spike ones should work as well -- some chairs come with this type already.

• Swentastic Swenson
    9 years ago

I've had luck actually superglueing the felt pads to the bottom. Also, we've gotten used to the scratches ;)

• feisty68
    9 years ago

Plastic pads have caused scratching IME. Also, the nail-in type have caused scratches because the part that holds the nail starts scratching.

"Felt Guard" heavy duty felt pads (round and cut to size) have lasted really well for us - much better than other ones I've tried. You have to monitor that they stay attached and keep them clean (any grit that gets stuck on will scratch). I'm considering getting rubber feet for the counter stools - something like this:
    http://m2.uxcell.com/photo_new/20120202/c/ux_a12020200ux0023_ux_c.jpg

Funny because I JUST added new felt to everything - first day with uncovered refinished floors.

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

We have rubber caps on our stools legs. You do need to check them on a regular basis. A tiny piece of metal got caught in the cap and did scratch the floor. Each time I vacuum the kitchen floor, I check the bottom of each cap for any roughness or damage.

• Mistman
    9 years ago

We use felt and just replace them when needed. I've had the nail in ones, bad idea. After the felt gets flattened out the nail head 'may' protrude or work it's way out. You only need that to happen once and that scratch down thru the finish will be enough to dissuade one from using them, at least that's my experience. We used about a dozen nice folding chairs for X-mas last year. I assumed the plastic/rubber on the bottom of the feet would be sufficient, wrong! After everyone left and I was cleaning up my heart took a hit noticing all the scratches under and around the table (since put a rug in there). But the worse part was that my sister wore some boots w/stiletto heels (a lot of people, checking shoes wasn't a priority), under her chair was horrible and to top if off she put a magnum of wine on the soapstone counter and proceeded to slide it around the rest of the night (along w/others).
    It was our 1st gathering in the new house, we learned a lot, most importantly to 'let it go'. I love my sis and never mentioned any of it to her. It was the 2nd time she put something heavy and rough on the counter top, the other was a very large plant in a vase she brought over and set on the counter temporarily before sliding it off, I showed her that one the next time she was over, oy!

• vpierce
    9 years ago

I put one of those indoor/outdoor rugs in the runner size (about 2' by 6') under my bar stools.

• Disaster28
    9 years ago

When my kitchen is done I will have the same problem. I was thinking of using the plastic clear mats that they make for computer/office chairs but in a runner format. Kinda like this from Ikea:

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/44881100/

Not sure how effective it would be though....and probably not the nicest looking either but it is another option.

• jaynes123_gw
    9 years ago

Booties? Of 418 reviews, they have 4.7 out of 5 stars, praising them over felt - come in different colors / sizes (one review said they exchanged size at no cost).

Rubberized grip inside - seem like theyd wear right out but thats a lot of seriously a lot of endorsement so who knows.

While we've found adhesive felt last pretty long, its also a magneet for every piece of lint, hair, fuzz. We end up vacuuming them regularly.

Here is a link that might be useful: Booties

This post was edited by Jaynes123 on Tue, Jul 15, 14 at 23:46

• User
    9 years ago

I've always used the felt stick-on pads and just replaced as needed.

Jaynes123 - those booties are cool, I've never seen them before. I'm going to try them! I'm just wondering though if the knit fabric will be a magnet for pet hairâ¦.

• ck_squared
    9 years ago

I've just been ignoring the little scratches that my bar stools leave but those Booties look like the best solution!

What would you put on chrome legs (I have the Vapor bar stools from CB2)? White or Light Grey?

• jaynes123_gw
    9 years ago

Sahmmy - No experience with the booties but they couldnt compete at collecting dust bunnies like felt.

Thats a aspect of felt. I remember felt boards as a child - you could attach cut-out felt shapes to them simply by lightly pressing them to it. The fiber-ous aspect of felt enabled it to attach to itself just like it does to int, hair and any fiberous dust that it comes in contact with.

• OOTM_Mom
    9 years ago

I just ordered some extra small grey for my odd bottom shaped metal bar stools. Really hoping they do the trick!

• jaynes123_gw
    9 years ago

CK, gray seems like a good match for chrome over white.

I also just purchased xsmal in brown. Think I will slip them over the legs, leaving the felt pads already on underneath - seems like would be less wear against them the actual wood leg bottoms.

After received, will wait / see how long before BF notices them.

• HU-762629164
    5 years ago

i do like very much,

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!