Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
williamsem

Granite install, just about perfect! Should I worry?

williamsem
10 years ago

Granite came today! I'm so relieved after all the problems I've read here. It is just about perfect! Very tight to the wall, almost perfect flush cut sink, etc, etc.

But I've found one flaw that's bothering me. Should I just count my blessings and live with it? Is it something I won't even notice in a month when I'm not obsessing about every little detail?

Can you spot the problem? If nobody notices until I point it out then I guess I'm just obsessing.

Comments (23)

• gpraceman55
    10 years ago

The only thing that I see is that they didn't round off the corners that stick out past the cabinets.

• Bunny
    10 years ago

I didn't see it till gpraceman pointed it out. Can YOU live with it (and unsee it), or will it bug you? I don't think it's the end of the world, but wonder why they did it that way, without asking you first.

• kksmama
    10 years ago

Looks gorgeous, so happy to see a successful install! Is it what you expected when you saw it as a slab? It looks the same as the pic you posted, IRRC. So exciting, you are SO close!

• williamsem
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The corner at the hall is rounded, I think he said they usually use 1.5 in radius. The other two are just eased, which I'm ok with given the edge profile we picked. Plus I'm not likely to bruise a hip on them where they are :-)

That's not it. Maybe I AM just hyper vigilant.

• chiefy
    10 years ago

I looked, and looked, and looked and didn't notice any issues.

• calumin
    10 years ago

the only thing i noticed was the the zero reveal on the sink looks great except for the back right of the sink, which is slightly negative. doesn't look like a big deal to me.

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

Sink isn't centered on/in the sink cabinet (nor under the window--but that's generally dependent on the cab placement/layout)????

• elissahart
    10 years ago

In the second picture, the counter doesn't extend all the way to the edge of the wall? I don't think that's a big deal and counters look great.

• williamsem
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok this is no fun, lol!

I think the sink is just a function of the angle of the pic.

The small piece next to the oven cabinet is not straight. The overhang is 1/4 inch less by the corner (after the curve ends) than by the oven. Funny, until I got into this kitchen stuff I never thought 1/4 was much. But turns out it's one pretty thick sheet of drawer liner, and enough overhang to notice. Though in fairness, I was looking very closely right after instal.

If you all didn't notice, maybe I should just count my blessings and forget about it! It's really a terrific install, even the range fits like a glove. Maybe I'm noticing it because the rounded corner exaggerates the effect at the corner. I'm just about out of decision making cells right now so the perspective helps tremendously.

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

In what way is it not straight? Not flush against the wall, or not the same overhang in the front? From your pictures, it's not apparent (even when looking for something).

Will you be doing a backsplash?

I think it's a beautiful stone, and the kitchen looks fantastic!

• williamsem
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Annkh, not the same overhang in the front. I think I'm coming out of panic mode now. Glad to hear you dont see it :-) DH has a short work day today since he's working the holiday, so he should be home around 4. I'll see what he thinks.

I do LOVE the granite! I seriously want to just lay all over it and caress it, but they put on a 15 year sealer right at the end and recommend not putting anything on it for 48 hours (setting things there for a minute it ok, but can't leave stuff there).

I just posted my backsplash tile on Friday, but I love looking at it, so here you go!

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

Oh, I forgot about your gorgeous backsplash - I can hardly wait to see how it turns out!

As for the counter: if you think it will bother you in a month - or a year - you should get it fixed now.

Love your "lay on the counter" comment! I am not the cook in our family - that's DH's job, and he does it well. Recently my Mom commented that when our kitchen is finished, I might spend more time there. I said "Yep, I plan to move the recliner in there." She laughed - she meant she thought I would start cooking!

• kksmama
    10 years ago

We want the backsplash, we want the backsplash, we want the backsplash! Wouldn't it be amazingly wonderful if the install goes as well as the granite install? I wish it for you!

• rkb21
    10 years ago

You counter looks great! If you hadn't pointed it out, I would not have seen it.

Enjoy your great install!!!

I just love your backsplash. I can't wait to see it up :)

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

No one will notice. Don't tell DH.

We have a spot that if you get out a ruler you can find an error (not sure it should even be called an error) but if you just look you see nothing.

Of course Engineer DH noticed immediately but later we realized that it had to do with our oven.

Your kitchen looks wonderful!

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Your granite looks lovely! I'm so happy for you!

• frugalnotstingy
    10 years ago

Your granite is lovely! Reminds me of a marble cake.

• islanddevil
    10 years ago

Only things I notice are that beautiful countertop and that cool sink! Can you please tell me what the stone is and the make and model of that sink? Thanks.

• SaraKat
    10 years ago

Can't wait to see the B/S up with that lovely granite. I can tell you that you will not notice things forever. After awhile life gets in the way again and it's back to normal. If it was huge it would bug the heck out of you but so small of an imperfection I don't think it will after awhile.

• williamsem
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok, so I had DH look over everything. He didnt notice anything. Plus he "measured" and thinks there is no difference. I tried to measure again, and I think it's closer to 1/8 in. I think the rounded corner is exaggerating my perception.

I know it's there, but it doesn't seem to be nagging at me. It's odd, but when I'm stressed about unresolved conflicts, I have physical symptoms. But i feel ok. I think I'm just going to marvel at the beauty of the stone and the amazing fabrication/install. That's truly the only issue I found anywhere, and really 1/8 off over 36 in in one area is not bad. There's not a chip, scratch, or gap anywhere.

Island, it's Rocky Mountain granite. It's still available, I saw it on a few websites, and my stone place just got in another slab. The sink is a Franke Orca, very popular here. I can't wait to use it tomorrow!

• sanjuangirl
    10 years ago

So fabulous, just swoon and back away from the measuring devices!
    The back splash will be the pis de resistance!

Cannot wait!

• Bunny
    10 years ago

One edge of my counter, next to my stove, was originally undercut (way better than overcut), so they had to cut that in-place. The cut isn't perfect and curves slightly. I was hopping mad when I saw it. Then a day passed and I decided it was nothing to me. I don't even see it. I just got a ruler out and it kinda varies 1/8 along its length, but then, so do I. :)

• Anne Harris
    10 years ago

It's gorgeous! Can't wait to see the backsplash in. You must be so excited!!