Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
viva99_gw

Kohler Hi-Rise Faucet

viva99
13 years ago

I posted this question yesterday, but it landed on page 3 in less than 24 hours (a record?) with no response.

I need to know whether the Kohler Hi-Rise independent sidespray (it comes with it's own on-off/temperature handle) could be used as the SOLE fixture for my 12" diameter prep sink. My concern is that when the unit is sitting in its base in "hands-free" mode, the spray will reach past the front edge of my relatively small sink, and I'll get drenched!

Any thoughts/advice/experience would be hugely appreciated!

Here is a link that might be useful: very cool little unit -- check it out!

Comments (12)

• nutherokie_gw
    13 years ago

Hi Viva99.

If you go to YouTube and search for Kohler Hirise you'll find a Kohler video showing the sidespray being used as a standalone with a prep sink. Sorry, I can't seem to figure out the knack for posting links.

I have the sidespray (still in the box) that I'm planning to use with an antique farm sink in conjunction with a backsplash mounted Hirise faucet. The installation manual for the sidespray indicates it can be used independently as shown in the video.

• segbrown
    13 years ago

I think you can position it when you install so that it wouldn't be a problem.

The one thing to think about in using it as the only faucet is that there is no pressure adjustment. The only adjustment is cold to hot. So if you think you might want the ability to lower the flow, you might rethink it on that basis.

• segbrown
    13 years ago

The distance shouldn't be a problem. Our sidespray is 2 in. away from the edge of the sink (measured from the flange), and the water breaks the plane of the sink at about 5 in. in. So 12 in. will be fine.

• viva99
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Segbrown, thanks a million. Your answer to my question is a huge help. But I'm even more grateful to you for mentioning this business about the non-adjustable flow rate. That NEVER would have occurred to me. (Looks like I have some more considering to do...)

Nutherokie, thanks for pointing me toward youtube. I actually found several videos on this little gadget. I even paused on one of them to measure the size of the sink (by guesstimating the length of the model's forearm!). Interesting.

• athomesewing
    13 years ago

Chiming in a little late, however the Hi Rise does adjust the flow rate, according to Kohler:

"...lever operated progressive valve that controls both water flow and temperature."

Very cool faucet, planning on using the very same one as the only faucet for our prep sink.

• segbrown
    13 years ago

It controls it (on/off), but it doesn't really adjust it. I have one, and the lever moves only one way: cold to hot. Maybe mine is busted. You can stop the flow completely by pressing the back of the head, but you have to keep it held down with your thumb.

• viva99
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Interesting comments about flow control. Wonder if there's somewhere I could get the official scoop from Kohler. I will try, and will post whatever answer I get.

Segbrown: how far would you say the side spray can be pullled out from its base? I'm hoping this unit can not only double as a faucet, but triple as a pot filler. My range will be just under 2.5 feet from the faucet base. A 4' hose (from base to spray unit) would be ideal, but 3' would work. I really have no idea what is a normal length for a spray hose, as that measurement is almost never included in specs for some reason...

Thanks in advance for your generous sharing of info. Couldn't even consider busting this move without you.

• athomesewing
    13 years ago

That is interesting on your faucet. The 90 degree progressive valve is SUPPOSE to control both water flow and temperature. Could it have been re-designed since your got yours, or are their specs are incorrect? Thanks for any further info, I really would like this faucet.

As for the reach, they say...
    "...Quiet nylon hose with ball joint for ease of operation with generous 28" hose reach)"

Here is a link that might be useful: Kohler's HiRise Specs

• davidro1
    13 years ago

viva99, I would email Kohler (or use their web site's equivalent form) and ask clearly about the spray pattern it makes with normally high pressure supply water, when it is perched in its holder.

Then,
    you could install it at X inches back from the sink rim
    you could install it on a sloped platform
    you could throttle the flow a little bit with a valve in the supply line
    any two of the above
    or all three.

Before doing anything, I would post again to find out what others think based on the new information learned.

"... spray will reach past the front edge of my relatively small sink, and I'll get drenched"

• segbrown
    13 years ago

Well, it does control water flow. It turns it on and off. You *can* just barely turn it on, and get a lower flow rate. But only for cold water, because the way the temp works is that it starts cold and ends hot, like a bath faucet or something. So yes, you can make it dribble out of the faucet if you need to.

I am not trying to dissuade anyone from the faucet ... just trying to describe how it works. The normal flow rate isn't abnormally high or anything ... and like I said, if you just barely turn it on, you can make it weaker. It really shouldn't be a problem unless you want *hot* water to dribble out; that can't be done, as far as I can tell.

And it's only a spray, no way to switch to a regular stream.

I pulled my hose out and it was about 3 ft. long.

• segbrown
    13 years ago

[It would have been easier to say you can't control the temp and the flow simultaneously, I guess. ;-) ]

So here are my photos (note position of lever):

Not on

Barely on

Sorta on

Hot

Measure from sink lip

• athomesewing
    13 years ago

Wow, it is gorgeous! Thanks so much for the information! (: