Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
backsplash feature over cooktop or not

Posted by robinle (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 2, 13 at 10:55

I would like to get peoples advice on the kitchen backsplash. The kitchen and eating area is 20X20 it will have built in seating and a 3'3"X7' island with seating. The area with cabinets is 13'X14'. It has a cooktop along the wall and two stoves built into the cabinets. I was planning on a subway tile for the backslash and above the cooktop. The designer at the tile store thinks it should have a feature of different tiles framed above the cooktop.The subway tiles are 4X8 but come in many sizes.
We have finally decided to use the same tile in 4X4 on a diagonal above the cooktop that would go all the way up. I also see people use the subway tiles in the herringbone pattern above the cooktop. She is going to use some very pretty glass tiles as a divide between the subway and the 4X4 tiles. Can you please let me know what you advise. I don't have any of the samples right now to post a picture.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: backsplash feature over cooktop or not

That's a personal decision. Some people like it and some don't. You should do what you like. A good place to look to see examples of both is houzz.com.

o

Great advice. We're currently in a rebound from everyone putting obligatory medalliions, etc., in and then feeling stuck with them as the style dated, so we've instead been going through a keep-it-simple era. Nice, but people will, of course, get tired of that turn-of-century marker too.

Especially since this opens up a giant, unfilled market for decorative features, you can bet your bottom they'll be back in style big time at some point.

So, as Catbuilder says. Research, find out what pleases you now, and do it. If you do a framed herringbone, or whatever, make it the right size and shape for the space. No need to be stuck in 2013 if you keep in mind that someday you might wish you could have an artist on Etsy create a tile landscape of hummingbirds busy at a bank of fuschias. How perfect if you had a frame ready and waiting. :)

o

I think the framed look is already dated plus 9 times out of 10 the scale is off. No desire to hurt anyone's feelings but that's how it looks to me. I also think the diagonal with subways is tricky as that pattern is not restful. I also don't like the odd thing in another material stuck into subways. If you truly want subways, I like the larger scale type in this kitchen on the link where they create the entire look. This is an old treatment but looks "new" since it's not piece-y.

Or, find a tile you really love, one that works with the rest of the house and go with that. If it's subway shape then perhaps think of one with some texture, relief, the larger scale or something to set them apart from the usual.

There is so much tile product out there and while subways are great, no issue, the tile person making suggestions doesn't seem especially creative or current to me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Metro Tiles

This post was edited by rococogurl on Tue, Jul 2, 13 at 19:26

o

I struggled with this as well.
I decided just to add accent tiles-although I did do one level of tiles, border, and then diamond tiles above the border.
 photo IMG_0595.jpg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here