Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
southgeorgiamom

Kitchen remodel- What do you think?

southgeorgiamom
13 years ago

We recently remodeled our 1970's ranch. We gutted the entire house and started over. Here are the details of the kitchen remodel:

Appliances-

Thermador 36" rangetop

Thermador 42" fridge

Thermador Microwave/ Oven combo

Thermador Dishwasher

(Went all Thermador b/c buy one- get one free deal!!)

Cabinets- Custom maple cabinets by a local shop stained tradional cherry. Pulls are Blackrock by Amerock in oil rubbed bronze.

Granite- Dakota Mahogany

Sinks- Kohler

Faucets/ Pot Filler/ Soap Dispensers- Danze Parma

Flooring- Sand and Finish 3 1/4" red oak with natural finish

Backsplash- Ivory 4" tumbled travertine with cornsilk grout

The column in the corner of the bar was something that we couldn't change. It supports the entire room. This was 4 seperate rooms before the remodel.

Comments (19)

• rjr220
    13 years ago

Beautiful job! It's so open and airy -- hard to imagine it as 4 rooms. Great choices -- Bon Appetit!

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

Wow! It's very large!

• firstmmo
    13 years ago

Very nice! I like the way that you did the backsplash behind the stove. It makes it stand out but in a really nice, tasteful, interesting way. With your gorgeous colored cabs, it's great you chose something that didn't take away from that. You must be loving the open room after what was a much smaller space!

• kitchenaddict
    13 years ago

Hi southg...

What an beautiful space. Very warm and tasteful choices. You can hold quite a large gathering in there! Congratulations and I hope you enjoy it greatly!

KA:)

• joyjoyjoy
    13 years ago

gorgeous!

• berryfarm
    13 years ago

That is so big and pretty! It also looks like it really ties in with the living room, of which we can see a little bit. I am also remodeling a 1970's house, lots of brown formica to remove...

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

What a wonderful kitchen! Gorgeous cabs and backsplash--any chance we could see a close-up of your granite? I'm sure you'll have many years of wonderful family meals and events in your newly remade home. Thanks so much for sharing and please, please, PLEASE get it included on the FKB!

• polkadots
    13 years ago

Looks beautiful! Congratulations on transforming your home.

How do you like the thermador appliances so far? I am looking at that same deal.

• southgeorgiamom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We like them. We had a slight problem with the fridge when we got it- the crushed ice and cubed ice wires were switched. However, I called Thermador and they sent someone out right away. My plumber also accidently scratched my rangetop. The scratch was 1/2 inch wide all the way across. We called Thermador and they sent new face for the rangetop free of charge. I have been extremely pleased with the customer service. The only thing that I can really find wrong with the fridge is that it is a little loud at times. The compressor seems to run louder than my old fridge. The microwave oven combo has been awesome. The convection bake in the microwave browns and bakes just like an oven. It does a great job on brownies, scalloped potatoes, and cakes. As for the oven itself, we love the rotisserie and convection bake and roast features. One warning though- make sure that your cut out for the oven is exactly level front to back. The oven does not come with leveling legs, so you will have to shim it if it is not level or have lopsided cakes :) As for the rangetop, I love the six burners and continous grates. It is fairly easy to clean. We are very pleased with the hood. We chose the 1000 CFM internal blower. It is somewhat loud, but removes all cooking odors even on the lower settings (1 and 2). FYI--When planning your vent, make sure that you will have enough room for the vent shaft. The shaft is 12 inches in diameter. This was something that we overlooked in the planning process. The dishwasher is very different. It uses a different drying process than my old one. The dishes will not dry unless you let it run the entire cycle. It also takes a LONG time to wash (over an hour). It does a good job though. I never rinse and everything comes out clean! Hope this helps!

• nicole__
    13 years ago

Georgeous! LOVE it!!! Great choices in color & appliances!!! Great use of space!

• monkeymo
    13 years ago

Very beautiful! Do you have any before photos? The stone wall, is that the side of a fireplace?

• karengad
    13 years ago

Absolutely a beautiful kichen. Your cabs & tile are very similar to mine. Im going crazy trying to find a color for the walls. Could you tell me the color you picked.Im looking for a beige with white trim. Thanks

• southgeorgiamom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

kareng...Thanks for the comments..We used all valspar paints for the walls..from Lowes..The walls that are visible from the kitchen were done in dry plains..

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

Wow...that is gorgeous...love the dark wood. Sounds like Thermdor provides great customer service. BEAUTIFUL!!!

• chris45ny
    13 years ago

Love the warmth of the cabinets. You did a great job. Enjoy all the space!!

• texasgal47
    10 years ago

Wow, very classy renovation! Everything looks first class. Your carpenter is really gifted as those cabinets are gorgeous. By the way, please see if you can get better photos for the FKB. I've seen Dakota Mahogany granite with cherry stained cabinets in a showroom, and the color combination is a classic. DM includes a coral tone which is beautiful with a cherry finish.

• Cookie316
    10 years ago

Beautiful kitchen! Thanks for sharing. My hubs and I are building our home and I purchased the whole Thermador package. It was a tough decision because I wasn't sure who to choose from. I too took the free item marketing technique. I'm praying I made the right choice! I love to cook and bake and I am looking forward for my brand new kitchen!

• Gracie
    10 years ago

This post is three years old.