Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anny_2009

Please tell me about your Silgranite Sink

anny-2009
14 years ago

Hi,

How do you like your Silgranite sinks? Do you regret to have them? How long do you own them?

I'd like to know if you have trouble keeping the sink clean or out of scratch, crack, stain (white color)or water spot (black color)?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Comments (12)

• lavenderlaney
    14 years ago

We have had our Silgranite sink (black) for over a year. We love it. no cracks, stains or water spots. And it looks great with our black granite. Highly recommend.

• neesie
    14 years ago

I have the lighter color, Biscuit, and absolutely love it. It's been over a year now and no regrets. I scour it about once a week with BarKeepers Friend.

• lovlilynne
    14 years ago

I've only had mine for a little over a week. I have the bisque color also. I'm not a sink person - I never really noticed my sink or other's sinks. The sink was installed on a Wednesday, and on Thursday the plumber came to hook it up and put in the faucet. That night I noticed a ring around the bottom - about 1" from the floor of the sink. I can't imagine where it would have come from. I haven't been able to remove it with scrubbing with just dish detergent, but I ordered some bar keepers friend to see if that will work.

I was going to buy an acrylic sink based on my brother's personal recommendation, but decided to get the silgranite based on recommendations here and the fact that I got a better price on it than I was going to have to pay for the acrylic.

Lynne

• trudymom
    14 years ago

My Blanco silgranit sink is one of my favorite things in my new home. I've had it for 7 months and it has been perfect. Mine is black--so easy to keep clean looking. No stains or cracks. Looks like the day I bought it. I'd certainly do it again. Mine is the one large sink which is another reason I love it. I always had 2 bowls, love the 1. Good luck!

• neesie
    14 years ago

lovlilynne, I can always find BarKeepers Friend at Target, Wallyworld and most grocery stores where they sell general household cleaners.

• amcofar
    14 years ago

I've had my metallic-gray, super-single Silgranit sink for two years. I love my sink. I also purchased a Blanco grid for it from eBay, and I also enjoy my grid. The grid cushions fragile items I place in the sink, and it makes it easier to drain pasta, rinse veggies, etc. The only marks I ever see on my sink are black smudges that appear after my DH cleans grill grates. They come right off with Dawn, though. I pour coffee and tea down my sink often. A little scouring powder easily removes those light stains. I highly recommend Silgranit sinks. Wouldn't trade mine for anything.

• pbrisjar
    14 years ago

lovlilynne: You need to find out what your plumber used to install the drain, etc. ASAP! You are not supposed to use plumber's putty on them as it will cause damage / staining.

To the OP: I've had my gray silgranite sink for about a year and a half now. I seriously abuse it and have never had any issues at all. AS others have said, I use Barkeeper's Friend about once a week for an extra clean. A quick rub of mineral oil makes it all shiny if you are so inclined. It's one of the favorite parts of my kitchen.

Here's a pic of it from a couple of weeks ago:

From Kitchen as of July 12 2009

• blondelle
    14 years ago

pbrisjar, is your sink the metallic gray? It looks lighter in the photo than that color. Looks great with your counter!

• sewhappy_2007
    14 years ago

I've had two black silgranite sinks. In my previous home, I had a Pegasus black installed and loved it so much I had one installed in this kitchen when I remodeled. My contractor carried Blanco so that is the brand I now have. I don't see any difference between the two. Some people complain about a white film on the black sinks but I think that is simple soap scum. I use Dawn for any hand washing and that removes any spots and doesn't leave a film. You can also polish these sinks with mineral oil or baby oil to get the orignial shine back if necessary. Myself, I love the matte finish and haven't felt the need to use oil on it.

• lovlilynne
    14 years ago

Yikes, what are you supposed to use if you don't use plumber's putty? And, what if he did? Is there anything I can do?

I have a question about the grid and the comment, "it makes it easier to drain pasta, rinse veggies" How does it do that? I would think that placing a colander on the grid would be difficult - getting the legs of the colander stuck in the grid, etc.

Lynne

• pbrisjar
    14 years ago

blondelle: Yes, it is the metallic gray. It's a little washed out in that pic, I think, due to the sunlight. Here's a close-up pic that I took shortly after it was installed:

From Kitchen

We were able to borrow the sample blocks from our local Expo (I miss that place) and take them to the granite yard so we could pick the best color. I liked the silver one the best as it picked up the grays in the granite and just blended in nicely.

lovlilynne: Call him, confirm, have him come back and install properly if he did use putty. Instead, you just use clear caulk (I think). The instructions on what to do / not do should have come with your sink so check to confirm. That's how Hubby found out about the no putty deal. It may need replacing, in which case I'd be after the plumber as he is the one who screwed up. But make sure you check with him to confirm, first as I'm just guessing.

• billwags325
    14 years ago

Hi
    I have had my Blanco Silgranite SuperSize sink with the drain on the right for 2 months and I am so incredibly happy with it! We just finished a big kitchen reno and I decided a while ago based on my research here on the gardenweb that I was getting a black single undermount. It is just the perfect size. When I ordered the black I intended on getting black granite countertops. Then at the last minute I went with a creamy brown granite! I was nervous that the black sink that had already been delivered wouldn't look right anymore. I almost sent it back for the biscuit but the restocking fee was too much so I kept it and am so glad I did. It is one of my favorite things in my new kitchen! It looks gorgeous!