Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gail_ish

White appliances so what colour cabinets?

gail_ish
14 years ago

Hi all,

So, I want white cabinets and have changed my mind about SS appliances to save $, so now I'll be going with white appliances. So how close should the cabinets be to the appliances - the same fresh white? If I go creamier, will it look weird? If I don't do fresh white, should I go for a definite non-white like a grey/green pastel white?

All the baseboards in our house are really bright white because I love how they look with the floor, and they will be the same in the kitchen, so will they look weird with creamier cabinets?

Here's a pic:

The floor will be a little lighter than this. Also, I'll be using Fiesta dishes in my new kitchen, so the accents will be all those great mixed colours from Homer-Laughlin. (in case that matters)

Anyone have examples I can see of different mixes?

Thanks all!

Gail

Comments (7)

• southernstitcher
    14 years ago

I don't have a white kitchen to show you, nor white appliances. I can only give you my opinion on what I have seen. I think a white kitchen with white appliances is lovely, especially with a darker floor and countertop. Black granite or soapstone looks good - or the opposite spectrum, marble. But marble with gray, not cream veining. To me, yes, it's jarring to see white appliances with a creamy white cabinetry, or creamy countertops.

White appliances with white cabs are the only time I'd say you might need to consider going with the same brand for all appliances - unless you know the whites will match. And, when getting new appliances, you won't know if they will match the old ones. Does anyone know if all white appliances are the same white? I'm assuming they aren't.

I'd go for either a bright white that matches your trim and will likely match the appliances best, or go gray/green white. I would stay away from creme absolutely.
    Of course, lol, someone here will post a lovely kitchen with creamy cabs and stark white appliances!

• prill
    14 years ago

If you go to the finished kitchen blog you can search for white cabinets AND white appliances. There are several beautiful examples listed there.

• buddyrose
    14 years ago

White and cream don't look good together because the cream makes the white look dirty.

White appliances never match each other well so I'd get the same manufacturer if possible. I have a white kitchen with different brand white appliances: Kenmore dishwasher, GE Microwave-hood etc. and the whites are different. If I were to do it over again, I'd get the cabinets in a pale color and then the different whites wouldn't look so, well, different. Here's a photo to show you:

• buddyrose
    14 years ago

here's the link to the kitchen thread: under $20,000. there are several white kitchens with white appliances.

Here is a link that might be useful: under $20,000

• donka
    14 years ago

I'm bucking the trends and have done bright white trim to match other trim I have in the house, creamy cabinets, and a mix of stainless and white appliances. Stainless for the range, hood and oven (cooking appliances) and white for the dishwasher and fridge. I wanted the dishwasher and fridge to not stand out too much, and the cooking appliances to pop.

I did get the fridge and DW from the same manufacturer, so the colour of white is similar. I was really nervous this combo of whites was going to bother me, or that I would think the creamy cabs look dirty, but it honestly doesn't bug me at all. I barely notice the difference of trim colour, and while the cabs do stand out as being a cream colour next to the white appliances, that doesn't really bug me either. Bugs me less than I think a stainless fridge with fingerprints would. The oven is already driving me a little nuts with all the fingerprints :/

I bet a bunch of people will think it looks like crap, but hey, it's my kitchen and I can do what I want ;)

• elizpiz
    14 years ago

Gail, here's a great thread with some very good inspiration pix of kitchens with white appliances.

HTH,
    Eliz

Here is a link that might be useful: Show me your white appliances

• elizpiz
    14 years ago

Gail, here's a great thread with some very good inspiration pix of kitchens with white appliances.

HTH,
    Eliz

Here is a link that might be useful: Show me your white appliances