Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marybeth1_gw

Mary Bet's finished kitchen ...Thank You All!

marybeth1
14 years ago

Well we are finally done. We were originally going to eliminate the DR but 2 load bearing walls and plumbing issues proved to be quite costly. Unfortunatley my M.S. has progressed to where I had to retire at 47 so money was an issue. DS starts college next year. My house was built in the 80's and needed a Major over-hall. We mainly bought for the location and style of home. Our old house had allot of stairs. Yes I would have liked a huge kitchen but at the end of it all I have a space that is very accessible to me, a kitchen table that our family of 3 can sit down to dinner at and we did not go into debt doing it.

Thank you everyone for being kind enough to answer my rookie questions and helping me think outside the box for my pantry placement. Buel you did not even know me and you gave me a layout that would rival any KD. I saved it in case we ever do knock down that wall! Hope this slide show works. Thank you all!

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchen slideshow

Comments (33)

• bestyears
    14 years ago

Mary Beth,
    That is BEAUTIFUL! Are you loving it? To me it is not about how big a kitchen is (though yours looks good sized to me), but how well it is set up to work. Now we need some details!!! Paint color, backsplash info, floor etc.

• teppy
    14 years ago

marybeth,
    it turned out beautiful. I know you have been at this for a long time. i know you are happy its done. your floor is just gorgeous.

• marybeth1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Whoops sorry I did not want to get too wordy. Here goes,

Cabinets- Cherry cabinets local cabinet maker fruitwood stain brown glaze . Island SW Creamy, brown glaze.

Floor QS White Oak site finished lt. brown stain.

Granite Giallo Napoleon

Backsplash Tumbled Travertine subways and pencils, Honed Limestone Mosaics.

Sink Blanco Cascade Biscuit

Paint BM Flowering Herbs Kitchen and BM Baby Turtle FR

• donnakay2009
    14 years ago

Lovely! Calming colors and real class....let me know how you like your range--I have one just like it sitting in our garage, waiting (Maytag Gemini?). We got a GE Profile micro/convection/hood combo. I am eager to know if you like this arrangement.
    Wonderful backsplash!

• bgoss123
    14 years ago

This is a very nice kitchen. It has a very calming, homey, essence to it. My favorite kind of kitchen. You did a great job.

• marybeth1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Donna, Yes it is a Gemini and you will love it! We have had it awhile. We needed to replace appliances before the remodel. Again allot of thought was put into appliances. Everything I use on a day to day basis is waist high and the easy slide out tray in the second oven is Wonderful. The fridge is a Maytag also. It may not be fancy but no more bending for the fruit/and veg. bins!

• prill
    14 years ago

marybeth - that looks beautiful. It seems very roomy and like a place you will really enjoy. Very warm and soothing colors. Congratulations on a great job!

• tj_shopper Eng
    14 years ago

Marybeth, your kitchen is beautiful. I was hoping to get Giallo Napolean too but found slabs of New Venetian Gold that looks very much like Giallo Napolean. I hope my kitchen comes out half as nice as yours. It's very comfortable and inviting. Congrats on your kitchen -- well done!!!

• marybeth1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you so much for the nice compliments. Prill,bgoss and tishopper warm and welcoming was the feel I wanted! I forgot to mention our under cabinet lighting is Kichler linear lighting. Well worth the money . It is DH favorite part because he says that's the only thing I let him pick out imagine that? LOL!

• jaksopcam
    14 years ago

I saw your kitchen and it made me rethink all this money I'm bleeding out on my renovation/kitchen project! It looks so lovely and I love the colors you picked and the artwork. You did a wonderful job and I wish you and your family much happiness in your new kitchen.

• desertsteph
    14 years ago

oh i think it's just lovely!! the cabinets are beautiful! some kitchens are big enough for a daily workout - but it'd get to be to much for me - lol! my kitchen will be about as big as yours and I wouldn't want it any bigger. I have limitations also.

did you do a LS in the corner? the angle looks like maybe not. if not, what did you do inside? do you like the angle better? I thought maybe I'd do the angle then figured my space wasn't big enough - but it looks fine in yours and they are about the same space wise.

maybe doing a laminate counter top will limit me there also. I drop things a LOT so will go laminate with vinyl flooring.

• mamalynn
    14 years ago

I think your island is gorgeous! So is the rest of your kitchen, but especially your island. And I love the paintings over the table.

• nursetammi
    14 years ago

Oh Mary Beth , how beautiful it came out. Your kitchen has so many wonderful things going on. It is so inviting, comfortable, beautifully decorated and has such a nice put together look to it. Everything blends so well too, your cabinets, the paint, the granite, the white island and it seems to me that the back splash brings it all together. Your sink looks so pretty with your Giallo Napoleon too. Thanks for sharing all your pics. What a great transformation.

I wish I did live close so we could have a cup of tea together in your new kitchen:)

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

MaryBeth, your kitchen turned out beautiful! I love the backspash and the stain you used on your kitchen cabinets. Everything goes so nicely together and I just love your floors. What width is your hardwood flooring?

• marybeth1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

desertsteph it's like you've read my mind, besides the cost I think the other plan would have been just too big for me to keep up. Here is a picture of my SS I have them in both the top and bottom. I went with just a regular door. The bifold or what ever they call it would have been a bigger opening but I know I would have shuddered every time DH and DS opened it. LOL! mamalynn thank you I really wanted white cabinets but my wood loving DH did not. This was our compromise. Tammi thanks for the kind words especially after seeing glimpses of your beautiful kitchen!

• arleneb
    14 years ago

Very, very nice! I especially like your backsplash . . . and I love that you and DH could reach a compromise on the wood vs. paint issue. The result should please you both!

• desertsteph
    14 years ago

MaryBeth - thank you so much for the larger pics. I'm going to save them to my idea folder. I hope I have enough room to angle my corner. it would even solve another problem I've been having - where to store my jug of drinking water. I also thought of the expense of the bifold door one - to store my water jug? and the bifold door would be such a hassle to be opening so often.
    Hopefully, this small opening/door will work fine for my needs. and i doubt I need to worry about my gallon water jug falling off the back of it either.

is the distance between your counter and bottom of your upper cabs the 18" I read on here about? it looks like less - like I'm a good judge of a measurement - lol! I'm hoping I can shave an inch or so off to bring them down lower for me (I'm 5') and I've even thought of seeing if I can lower the base cabs an inch or so. guess I need to find a cheap (good) local cabinet maker for that...

I think you and your dh made a very good compromise on the cabs. I love the wood - and I love the white also! you got both!

enjoy that beautiful new kitchen!

• katieob
    14 years ago

Great job!
    Looks totally current and totally comfortable.
    Enjoy it!

• trudymom
    14 years ago

Really gorgeous kitchen. Everything blends so well. Great choices on everything! Thank you for sharing.

• tiskers
    14 years ago

Oh Mary Beth -- it's BEAUTIFUL! It looks so warm and friendly, and HOMEY! Great job!

I wish you many happy years enjoying it!

• debs3
    14 years ago

Mary Beth, your kitchen is so inviting, comfortable and beautiful. I really like your corner cabinets. The floor very, very lovely. It is the first time I have noticed electrical outlets that actually add to the design. Well, I think they do.

• lascatx
    14 years ago

Mary Beth, I hope you love your kitchen. You did a great job with your choices and they don't look like compromises at all. Bigger kitchens are not necessarily any better or easier to work in -- and they can easily be less efficient and, you're right, more to keep up. I had a kitchen where I felt like I was running track to prepare dinner. Took a lot of the enjoyment out of being in my kitchen and cooking.

• marybeth1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

desertsteph, Sorry about the awful corner cabinet picture it was the best one I had. I measured from cabinet to counter and it was 18 inches but light rail adds about
    1 1/2 inch to bottom of cabinet. I wish I would have thought of lowering them I'm only 5'4. Lynne, my floors are 3 inch boards I wish I had gone with 4 inch.

• desertsteph
    14 years ago

oh Marybeth - the pics of the corner cab are great! they are big and I can see everything very nicely. and it gives a great view of the cabinet wood - lol! again, it's just so beautiful!

that light rail would then take the bottom of 'cab' to counter to 16.5 I think - so having the cab bottom (w/o light rail) that low would work also. I will have the chance to live in my 'to be' old kitchen for some time to get a better idea of it IRL. I'm planning ahead from all the ideas and photos I see here for possible uses and alternatives for challenges I anticipate running into. I'll have notes and photos to refer to at that time instead of saying 'I think I saw somewhere... I read somewhere but don't remember where...

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

Your kitchen is beautiful! I love your back-splash, as well as the stain you used on your kitchen cabinets and your gorgeous QS floors! What width are your floors?

• marybeth1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

lynn, thank you in case you missed my post my boards are 3 inches wide TBO I wish I had done 4 inch. Desertsteph my folder of notes and pics got so BIG I could have used a backpack to carry it. Good Luck!

• debbie_123
    14 years ago

Mary Beth, congratulations on your lovely kitchen. I remember seeing pictures of it before and I'm a fan of your backsplash, your dining room table and chairs and your powder room. I love the tile on the floor! Could you please share the name of the glass in your upper cabinet? Again, enjoy your wonderful space!

• marybeth1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

debbie, thank you! It is Seeded glass. Thanks again to everyone for your uplifting and kind words.

• judydel
    14 years ago

Mary Beth your kitchen is so pretty! All of your choices work so well together. I especially love your dinette set. Would you mind sharing the manufacturer? Very pretty. I'm looking for something similar.

• eastcoastmom
    14 years ago

marybeth - I've been following the progress of your kitchen and am so excited to see the beautiful finished space - your gorgeous Giallo Napolean (inspired by you, I seriously considered this one for my kitchen, but never found a slab large enough for my island) your great marble and limestone backsplash, the floors and the yummy looking cream island.

Use it all in good health - here is hoping for current research to lead to significant breakthroughs in MS and a complete cure right around the corner. And you are right about buehl - she IS a gem on this board. Don't know what I would have done without her amazing posts either!

• judydel
    14 years ago

Mary Beth have you explored the possibility that your MS is actually Lyme? They are finding now that many people with MS actually have chronic Lyme Disease which is treatable. Email me if you want more information. Standard tests don't always give the correct results. Five of us in my family have/had this awful disease and I have become very informed on the subject. Just a possibility to explore.

• karena_2009
    14 years ago

Very elegant! It just goes to show that good things come in small packages. I have a small kitchen, too, I hope mine turns out as well then I'll be happy. Enjoy your new kitchen and BTW your house is gorgeous!

• marybeth1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

judydel, the set is a Canadel. It is the antiqued finish. It seemed to compliment my island best. That is interesting about Lyme disease I have never heard that before. I thought I read everything I could about MS of course when I was first diag. 10 years ago I had to stop reading everything because it was so overwhelming and scary I did not want to spend my life waiting for the other shoe to drop. You can email me if you'd like.
    Eastcoastmom, thank you as always your warm words are appreciated, Karena I'm sure your kitchen will be beautiful. Be sure to post pictures!