Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Marble polishes that claim to remove etching-Any work?

Posted by blondelle (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 31, 08 at 10:42

I don't think these can remove etching but if they can hide it on a polished or high hone finish I'm OK with that. I see so many of them claiming to restore scratched, etched, dull marble. Has anyone tried any that really work?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Marble polishes that claim to remove etching-Any work?

None that can be used by a DIYer. There are actually courses offered to stone pros to teach them how to do that properly.

o

I had a crazy what-was-I-thinking episode last week and on a whim decided to even out the etching on my island top by etching the ENTIRE THING with lemon juice (this all before running out the door for work -- have you ever done something completely stupid like that?). I wanted a more matte finish, but I went a bit too far and the stone looked parched (!)

Needless to say, I panicked and did some online research and found Briwax Marble Wax. It did an AMAZING job. In fact, it's almost back to the original sealed finish, but with a warmer patina.

Not expensive and worth a try:

http://www.briwax-online.com/marble.html

o

What was the original sealed finish? Honed or polished? If you do get another etch, can you try some on ot and see if it hides it. Does liquid bead up on the finish? Thanks!

o

The stone is giallo real and was sealed but not polished. The original sealed finish was pretty shiney, but there was no shine at all after after I stripped it. The briwax really worked, so I know it will cover any new etching I get (tho the etching doesn't really bother me because I like the lived in look.) Water does bead on the new (waxed) finish.

Is your stone polished or sealed? Don't know what the result would be on polished.

o

Thanks so much. I want to try it on a sample of honed Danby marble. It has no shine at all. I was told I could use Comet to remove an etch. If that's so, and I can bring up the shine after to at least a high honed with a little bit of shine I would be very happy. I'm trying to find some locally now. Thanks again!

o

I was warned to not get marble--too porous, etches, etc. etc. But I love it, and get it I did. Beautiful cararra marble--I love it to death. But within weeks, I started to detect those dreaded milky etched spots here and there. I hated these marks so much. I tried alot of polishes, but all they did was make the counter smeary. I started to think - hey, this is stone! Stone that has been used throughout Europe for centuries and is still in existence indoors and outdoors, as columns, steps, fountains, etc. and taking alot of abuse in public places yet it endures! One day, I took out my can of Bar Keepers Friend. It's a kind of cleanser that works on alot of things. I made a thick paste over one of the spots and worked it in with my fingers in an area bigger than the spot. I am amazed at the results of this. I worked another area and found the spot diminished. After seeing the results, I started to do a large area that contained spots and I must say that the marble has a beautiful opaque look to it that I love. I decided to clean the entire countertop by sprinkling this cleaner on it with a damp paper towel. I am crazy about my marble countertops! I was not really 'in love' with the highly polished look of it when I got it new and wasn't worried about it being diminshed. It looks better now that it has this more opaque appearance. It's somehow more authentic looking and has this wonderful warm patina, after using this BKF stuff. I am now thinking that the marble polishes being sold are really nothing different than Bar Keeper's friend. My countertops are simply gorgeous and still glow, but if you want more shine, you can always use a product like Pledge.

o

Hello Lorrbee...I would like to hone a slab of marble I found on Craigslist with BKF and I am hoping you can post a follow up picture for me. Are you still happy with your results? Any updated info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks so much.
Most Sincerely,
Christie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here