Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hopee1983_gw

Help Please! Vote for the Pull Size

hopee1983
11 years ago

This the first time I am posting on Garden Web however I have always referred to the site with all my dilemmas and it's very comforting to know I was not the only one with these questions. Thank you for all your help.

Here is my dilemma,

We want to use knobs for the upper cabinets that includes the stacked cabinets and some lower cabinets like the under the sink, corner basically all knobs expect for all the drawers and pull outs (Trash, pull out pantry).

What Size Knobs should we use? 1" or 1 1/4". My hubby feels 1 1/4" will be too much because we have stacked cabinets too.

What size Pulls should we use? 4", 6" and 8". We have 36", 30" and some 18", 12" drawers. Is it better to use just one size pull to keep the look uniform or go with the drawer size. We were thinking of

8" pulls for 36"

6" for all the others

Please suggest.

Thanks a Lot!

Comments (10)

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

When I went through this recently, I looked at a lot of pictures on houzz. I came to the conclusion that, within limits, you can do almost anything you want and it still looks nice. The sizes you are suggesting are all "within limits," so I don't think you can make a bad choice.

Having said that, I would use 1 1/4 knobs. 1" seem very small to me.

For pulls, honestly, you could go either way, i.e., varying sizes or keeping uniform. If you use 4" pulls, you should probably put two on your larger drawers. (I actually made a mistake and put one 4" pull on my 40" drawers, and it looks fine.)
    If it were up to me, my preference would be to use the different sizes. Use 4" on the smaller drawers, 6" on the 30", and 8" on the 36". (Again, this is not what I did, and I think mine look just fine.)

• ginny20
    11 years ago

Angie's right, this is purely a your-own-taste thing.

It helps to go to HD and Lowes and buy one each of different knobs and pulls and hold them up to your cabs. It makes it much easier to see what you like. Then just return them.

• texaspenny
    11 years ago

I found a suggestion on here to mock up your pulls and knobs with aluminum foil - that way you really visually see the size differences. That might help you make your decision.

• carp123
    11 years ago

i would definitely do the 8" pulls for 36" and 6" for all the others. to me it looks more like custom cabinetry if the handles fit "right" for the drawers.

• michelle16
    11 years ago

I would do all the same size pulls, like the 4" and then do 2 of them on draws 30' and higher. def. larger knob

• maggieq
    11 years ago

Definitely agree on mocking up the sizes and trying them out on your cabinets. We are going thru the same drill right now and what you think will work may look very different if you can see the actual size on your cabinets...unless of course you have purchased a couple of different sizes and can see them IRL!

• annac54
    11 years ago

If you search this forum, you'll find several discussions on this subject. In the end, it will be your personal preference, and what type of look you want.

You really should get some sample pulls and see how they look against the cabinets, and how they "feel". Some pulls that look nice can be too small to comfortably put your hand in, or have sharp edges on the back that you may not like. Or you may not like the finish when you see them in real life, etc.

As for the 1" vs 1 1/4" size knob, I got one of each of a style when I was trying to figure out what to buy. The 1" seemed really small. I ended up using it in my laundry room on a really small cabinet door. In the kitchen, we went with 1 1/4" knobs. The 1" knobs may work for you because of the stacked cabs and glass door fronts. Or you may decide the bigger ones look fine. Install the sample on a piece of scrap wood. Does it feel right?

Many people on this board use the same size pulls everywhere and are very happy with the look. We finally went with bigger pulls on our very wide drawers, but I'm sure the same size pulls would have looked great also.

Nothing beats seeing the real thing in your own kitchen. You can usually always return samples. Good luck and let us see what you choose. Your kitchen looks like it's going to be a very beautiful space. Don't settle for so-so hardware.

• clarygrace
    11 years ago

We used 1 1/4" knobs, much better feel and look to them, even with stacked and glass front cabinets, which we also have. For pulls we used all 6", most of the drawers are 30" or larger. The smaller drawers handled the 6" really well, but 4" would be fine (I waffled over this and went with uniformity). Good luck!

• hopee1983
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank You so much for the great advice. We decided to buy different sizes and experiment for the best result.

• hopee1983
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Dear Friends

Thanks again for all your help. We decided to go with 1.25 knobs and very happy with the decision. The kitchen is almost done and I will post the pictures once it's fully done.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths