Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ktam_88

Cleaning Stainless Steel with Mineral Oil

ktam_88
14 years ago

Can someone tell me how to clean my stainless steel appliances with mineral oil? Do I first clean it with my regular SS cleaner then go over it with the mineral oil? What do I use to apply it? The oil is very thick and when I rub it onto the SS, it leaves streaks. Help!

Comments (14)

• clg7067
    14 years ago

My mineral oil is about the consistency of water, why is your's "very thick"?

I buy mine in the drug store section of the grocery store, but this link has a similar product.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mineral Oil

• ktam_88
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It's more like cooking oil...I bought it at Target. Can you tell me how you clean with it and if you use any other product in conjunction with the mineral oil? Thank!

• chiefneil
    14 years ago

I just use a stainless steel cleaner spray-on product that I got in the cleaning section at Home Depot. Been using it for 4 years now and it works great.

Mineral oil should be like water, or even thinner. I'm not so sure you got actual mineral oil there.

• Buehl
    14 years ago

I use either Pledge in the brown can or the Weiman SS cleaner.

I've never seen mineral oil by itself so I don't know what its consistency should be.

• Fori
    14 years ago

My pharmacy food-grade mineral oil is thicker than water--think baby oil, which of course it IS, minus the scent.

• kompy
    14 years ago

Buy some lemon oil....it's not has thick as mineral oil, goes on nicer and leaves a nice fragrance to boot. Sometimes I clean mine before with a general purpose cleaner....sometimes I don't.

• ktam_88
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for all your input. I use Weiman's SS cleaner and it is one of the best out there. I have heard on this blog that the mineral oil prevents fingerprints so I thought I'd give it a try.

• elizpiz
    14 years ago

Kim, there were a couple of threads about this, which you may have already read. One in embedded in thread I'm linking below. Other than stuck-on stuff, I find a simple microfibre cloth with water only does wonders! I then dry it with a second dry mf cloth and it looks great (both cooktop and sink). I have also tried the WD-40 trick mentioned in the attached post, but the smell is too much for me. I do use a wipe of WD-40 every now and again on my stainless steel hood.

Eliz

Here is a link that might be useful: Cleaning stainless

• ktam_88
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Eliz - I've also spray on a thin layer of WD-40 after I clean it with Weiman's SS cleaner. I'm with you about the fumes but it really does remove any streaks. Maybe I'll just stick with my current method of cleaning. I was told by everyone to never use any water substance to clean stainless steel. I'll get some microfiber cloths and give it a try. Just hoping to find something that will prevent fingerprints.

• hestia_flames
    14 years ago

I really like the glowing shine that Barkeeper's Friend leaves - once a week I clean my sink with it, rinse well, then wipe it down with microfiber cloth.

• luvnlife_09
    14 years ago

Hestia: Is that the liquid BKF or the powdered, or does it matter?
    I've been wondering....

• hestia_flames
    14 years ago

Hi luvnlife,

I use the powdered, though I am careful to follow the directions - wet down the sink first, and sprinkle it on the sponge first - I always follow the direction of the brushed stainless, & rinse well. It works very well on my stainless pans as well (I have heavy weight Cuisinart MultiClad, if that matters.) The only thing I don't like is that it has a slightly acrid smell until I rinse it away. Because of that it always makes me slightly nervous around the "vibrant stainless" finish on my faucet, probably only because I never expected to have such a nice faucet. Never any problem, and as I said above, I love the way the sink "glows" after I dry it with the microfiber cloth.

• detailaddict
    8 years ago

I've never tried mineral oil for cleaning, but baking soda does wonders on my stainless cookware. I imagine it would clean fingerprints, but then the water used to wipe it off could well leave streaks. Maybe this is where the oil would come in if you used this instead - ?

Sponsored
River Mill Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Delaware County's Customer Focused General Contractor