Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purrus

opinions on perfectly rectangular single-bowl sinks?

purrus
9 years ago

Hi everyone,
I've decided on a large single bowl sink (have a shallow double and truly despise it). At first I was set on a rectangular large sink, but my designer raised a concern about keeping the corners clean. Is this an issue? Yays or nays for rectangular sinks? Are rounded ones better? My main concern is smart use of space. I really want it to function well.

Comments (10)

• Jancy
    9 years ago

I purchased a rectangle Kraus single bowl sink with .75 radius. It's not extremely sharp just slightly rounded corners. I've only had it installed for a couple of months but have not noticed any difference or any more work in keeping it cleaned compared to the rounded corner one I had prior. I love the look of my new sink so much better.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Some people don't like truly zero-radius sinks for that reason, but you can get a rectangular sink with an almost-zero radius that isn't hard to clean at all. Here's the one I (and I lot of others on this board) have.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I hadn't seen Jancy's post when I wrote mine!

• Jancy
    9 years ago

Thanks for posting the photo sjhockeyfan! I was just going to do that.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I had an essentially zero radius soapstone sink and I did find I had to use a towel and my fingertip or something with an edge on it to really get into the corners. I am going to choose something with a slight radius in my upcoming remodel to avoid this.

• northcarolina
    9 years ago

I have a Kohler Vault, which is either zero or near-zero radius. Love the look, but the corners do get gunky if you don't keep on top of them, so rounded edges would have been easier. If you're undermounting your sink, your corner radius might not matter so much for appearance. Our sink is topmounted, and the sleek flat rim of the Vault is (to me) quite different in appearance than most other topmounted SS sinks. So I traded good looks for ease of cleaning (not sure I'd do it again... as time goes by I am caring less and less about whether my kitchen looks sleek, lol).

• lascatx
    9 years ago

I have a zero radius sink. The edges and corners will get gucky over time, but so does the rest of the sink. I clean it. I have a cleaning brush that I use to get the corners of the drip tray on my espresso maker, clean the sink and a few other occasional things. Inexpensive tool, multi use and makes all the cleaning tasks quick and easy plus no room lost on those corners. I can lay a half sheet pan down front to back and still have nearly 2/3 of my sink open. I suppose it depends on what your priorities are.

• cat_mom
    9 years ago

While I'm cleaning my 0-radius corner sink, I squish the sponge down into the corners. I would do this if my sink had more rounded corners, too, so I'm not working any harder to keep the corners clean than I otherwise would. Once in a great while, I'll take a cotton swab, and jab it deep down into the corners, and there really isn't much "gunk" or "stuff" at all.

I would get another 0-radius sink in a heartbeat (ours is a Julien, FWIW).

• dcward89
    9 years ago

I adore my zero radius sink single bowl, 10" deep. I just use a blue scrubbie (non-scratching) to clean my sink with dish soap, 409, Bar Keeper's Friend for a bigger clean up. The edge of the scrubbie goes right into the corner perfectly. I haven't had a problem with it at all. Love, love, love my sink!!!

• poohpup
    9 years ago

I've got two zero radius copper sinks. If gunk is left in the sink and isn't cleaned, the gunk turns green. None of my sinks have green corners. I don't find them any more difficult to clean than sinks with a small radius. I clean them with a sponge and soapy water and that's it.

I'd get another zero radius sink without concern.