Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do I place receptacles in Peninsula with 15" counter overhang

Posted by Kentbury (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 4, 13 at 10:30

Hi folks,
I am remodeling a kitchen and just met with the electrician. The end of the peninsula is to have an ample overhang on all three sides to allow seating for at least 3 people. We are tall and have designed the long side (outside of the kitchen) to have a 14" overhang and the curved "end" to extend 15" over the cabinets. The electrician had indicated that we won't meet code for our receptacles in the peninsula because they will not meet the 24 inch rule.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Could we build out some type of box and have the outlets sticking out from the cabinets? (not ideal)

I really don't want to decrease the overhang. Am I stuck?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do I place receptacles in Peninsula with 15" counter over

You can do a filler box at the end of the run or between cabinets before the end, with the receptacle facing the working side of the kitchen. Or you can do a cabinet with a "wide stile" at the end or middle of that run with the outlet in that stile facing the work surface at the top. Or you can do a wide top rail and attach plug mold all along the whole run. Or, depending on your inspector, you can do a pop up outlet in the counter surface to the rear of one of the cabinet boxes, but you will need to shorten the drawer(s) inside that cabinet to do that, and it's not accepted by all localities.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here