Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Quality but not custom kitchen cabinets?

Posted by nobueno (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 1, 12 at 10:29

The price of Home Depot/Lowes cabinets is about right but we're more than slightly concerned with the quality. Has anyone used the HD/Lowes cabinets? Anyone have a brand to recommend (that's available near Boulder, CO)? Obviously we'd love custom cabinets but since the stock cabinets measured just right so we can't really justify the cost unless we won't be able to find quality stock cabinets. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Quality but not custom kitchen cabinets?

We have Diamond cabinets but purchased them through an independent dealer so I am not sure the quality is the same as HD/ Lowes. The ones we got were perfect and the customer service from the company was excellent. I love the look we got for the price and so far seem very well made.

o

We have Diamond cabinets but purchased them through an independent dealer so I am not sure the quality is the same as HD/ Lowes. The ones we got were perfect and the customer service from the company was excellent. I love the look we got for the price and so far seem very well made.

o

I had my cabinets custom made (by a fantastic Amish company that does ship nationwide) and it cost less than some of the lines at big box stores.

I also got the exact layout I wanted, not one filler and no dead space. Everything I asked for, even if they had never done it before, was discussed, brainstormed and ultimately received and met every expectation. My kitchen is unique, both in style and finish and I could NEVER have done that in a big box store.

So don't discount custom because of price but do your homework. Not every custom cabinet maker does quality work.

o

What was the name of the Amish company?

o

I agree with L2C. Custom doesn't always equal outrageously priced or highest quality. There are some bad custom makers out there. Conversely, big box doesn't always equal the lowest price or low quality. Get many quotes from both, and determine the quality (from reviews, seeing custom work IRL, construction methods, etc). Then decide. I found a great custom cab maker whose price was equal to the big box store, but whose quality and my ability to customize was far superior. Good luck!

o

The company we used was Ayr Cabinetry out of Nappanee Indiana. Ask for Ken.

Fantastic service and best quality product. Our kitchen is on the Finished Kitchen Blog if you want to have a look

o

IKEA. Huge bang for the buck. Somewhere I read that they're ranked #3 in the country, for 1/3 the price of the #2 ranked cabinets, and 1/5 the price of #1. They have a twenty-five year warranty. They come with Blum hardware. They're also "green", i.e. no toxic chemicals offgassing from the wood products and glues used.

I just had my kitchen redone with IKEA cabs and couldn't be happier.

o

The company we used was Ayr Cabinetry out of Nappanee Indiana. Ask for Ken.

Fantastic service and best quality product. Our kitchen is on the Finished Kitchen Blog if you want to have a look

o

I received a quote from Ayr Cabinetry and for me they were one of the higher priced quotes.

o

Yea we definitely plan on shopping around for quotes but haven't closed on the place yet so I was just putting out feelers if anyone had any good makers. We're in Boulder, CO if anyone has any local rec's. good to hear about IKEA too since we had been considering them.

Lovestocook - thanks for that. kitchen looks nice.

o

IKEA has independent contractors who, for a fee, can do the measuring, design and installation for you. The one they recommended charged me $50 to come out and take precise measurements. I already had a plan, knew what I wanted, but found IKEA's design software a bit difficult to use. So for an additional $100 this contractor did all of that for me. He sent me drawings for my approval. We went back and forth several times. He was a pleasure to work with.

When I was satisfied, he wrote up the entire order for me down to every last component. All I did was take the shopping list down to IKEA and place the order. IKEA delivered it (in zillions of pieces), the contractors put it all together and installed it in a day and a half. It was well worth the money, IMO.

o

Might depend on style and layout but if you have full overlay with face frame cabinetry or frameless you almost always will have fillers whether you are using custom or stock cabinetry. If as you indicate you have a layout that works with standard measurements then you should look into stock cabinetry as it is very possible you could save quite a bit of money. Custom indicates how the cabinets are manufactured not their quality.In some markets you can get semi-custom lines like Kraftmaid for the cost of custom but most stock lines will be cheaper. My condo is strewn with Ikea boxes with my future cabinets in them. For me they are good quality and like you my layout doesn't require custom sizes but others will tell you they are not a quality product - you have to decide for yourself where you want to draw that line.

o

I used Schuler (Medallion) from Lowe's and I am very happy with the quality.

o

I used InnerMost from HD and am more than happy.

o

Ours are Shuler from Lowes. We are very happy with them.

o

thank you all so much for the help!

o

Hi,

Am looking for the name of an Amish cabinet maker in Arthur, IL. There are several, can anyone recommend one over another?

Thanks for your help!

o

I agree about shopping around. Home depot bid about $9000 for my kitchen in Maple with full overlay (WITH all their "specials"). I was able to find two different custom cabinet shops who would do my kitchen in Walnut, a much pricier wood, for $9000. For maple, they wanted about $7000.

If you are really budget conscience, there are less expensive stock cabinets than available at Lowes or Home Depot at independent cabinet shops. Do a search on Gardenweb to look for comparisons of the quality and price of different brands they might carry.

o

We did Schuller (Lowe's) for our bathroom vanities. Overall, I think they are the best that HD or Lowe's has to offer.

o

There is a fairly new product line at HD called InnerMost. It's a reasonably priced product, great quality and can be customized quite a bit. It's the best quality that you'll find in the home centers, manufactured by Elkay. the same company that makes Schuler.. DEFINATELY CHECK THEM OUT.. A Friend of mine just did her kitchen and it's GORGEOUS..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here