Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kfpwvt

Pocket door ib Pantry

kfpwvt
11 years ago

I am remodeling a kitchen and adding a small step/walk in pantry. The door to the pantry is in a walkway where if it was open it would somewhat block traffic flow into the kitchen (it is just before you enter the kitchen from a living room/dining room great room). This is a minor remodel already in process so there is no changing the location -- it is the only thing that works within the scope of what we are doing. It wouldn't be open all that often so I was considering a door swinging out. If it was to swing in I would loose space (the door would swing against a wall where I want to hand brooms and aprons). Other options are the split doors -- as at least they are smaller to work around. For some reason my husband isn't very keen on this idea. The other option is a Pocket Door. It would be good for traffic flow but I also imaging not wanting to bother to close it all the time -- if I am in and out gathering things to cook with. It is in a location where leaving the door open would not look good.

Any thoughts on how anyone feels about Pocket doors in a Pantry -- do you close them each time?

What about a door swinging out - it is not like I'd be in there with the door closed and have to worry about opening it into people. I'd step in and leave the door open for a minute while in there.

Any advise is appreciated.

Comments (6)

• mskitchen
    11 years ago

I have a pocket door in my walk in pantry to eliminate the swinging door opening into the kitchen and had requested that the light turn on or off when the door opened and closed. We've been in the house since late Oct. and it's worked out fine. And yes, I have it closed all the time.

• beeps
    11 years ago

I'm not a huge fan of pocket doors, although they sure have a purpose and your space might be one where they would be the best option. I do tend not to close them because I find them inconvenient for some reason - maybe because you need a hand free to close them - you can't push them with a foot or forearm. From what you describe I'd probably be more inclined to go with a bi-fold door because it would be easier to close with a forearm, hip, etc. but if I am understanding correctly that is not an option your husband likes very well. I'm sure someone else will come up with a great idea!

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Pic is tiny so here is link to white bi-fold door

• marcolo
    11 years ago
  • a2gemini
    11 years ago

We swapped our regular door for a pocket door for our pantry and put in an occupancy sensor light! Loving it!!

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

I'm quite proud of the 15 pocket doors I have in my house. My long-gone STBX built most, but I've been able to copy for several more.

I have motion sensor lights in my closets, mud room, garage, bathrooms and laundry. Hallways, too, but that's different. I wanted pressure activated lights (don't know what they're called) but couldn't locate any at the time. My motion sensors work just fine, except I can't use CFLs or LEDs. So what? They're off most of the time!!

This topic has been discussed many times.
    What I notice, is that every time someone brings it up again, how some of the previous questioners are now piping in with how much they love their doors.

I can't imagine someone not enjoying 9 extra square feet of room.

• kfpwvt
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well the pocket door is out -- turned out there are plumbing pipes in the wall the pocket needed to go in. My husband is still against the split door. SO, it could open out, that Ergon door system is interesting -- or a barn door style that slides on the outside. I'm in an area where the barn door styling would make sense aesthetically.... might be an idea. Or the opening out might not be bad as it is not like it will be open all the time (i want it closed when not in use) AND I would never close myself into the pantry and surprise open out.

Love the ideas on the auto lights -- we have them in 2 closets -- came with the house that way -- would be perfect in the pantry.