Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thoughts on copper sink with nickel faucet?

Posted by paigeysmom (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 5, 08 at 10:17

I need advice on my sink crisis again. Here is our situation--our Kraftmaid vanilla bean finish (white glazed) cabinets are allegedly arriving in a few days. I learned last week that the stainless steel sink I ordered doesn't exist and I have to find something new quick (I am absolutely furious because I searched for that sink for weeks!). I know it should be easy to find another sink, but I have looked at thousands of sinks and find most of them too boring. I originally wanted an apron sink but my cabinet dealer/KD (I'm not sure what he is) talked me out of it. Now we have a standard 33 inch sink base cabinet ordered and I'm basically stuck with it.
I posted earlier this week for advice on putting an apron sink into a standard cabinet. Some people recommended modifying the cabinet others recommended ordering a new sink base cabinet. Then I found a company that makes copper or stainless steel apron front sinks with a false apron front that slips over the front of a standard cabinet the same depth as the fake drawer on the cabinet. The sink basin can then be made deeper than the apron front so that we still get a 10 inch deep sink. This seems like a fantastic solution to a very annoying problem and my husband loves the copper sinks. I have been in contact with the company and they can have a sink made for us in time for granite installation to our exact measurements (yes, I'm sure it will be at a substantial cost--but I don't think I care anymore).
Now, my problem is that I have already ordered my vintage style faucet and pot filler in a satin nickel finish. I was also planning for the lighting and hardware to be satin nickel and we have stainless steel appliances. Can I mix the copper sink with satin nickel? I asked the sink designer this question and he showed me pictures of the sinks in his own kitchen that use nickel faucets with copper sinks and several designer kitchens with the same combination and it looks great. Since the copper patinas over time I think maybe it would be difficult to find a copper faucet and sink with matching finishes--they would always be a bit different. Typically though I would instinctively want the finish on all of these items to match, so please tell me if I'm making a huge and costly mistake by going this way. Thanks.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rachiele Sinks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thoughts on copper sink with nickel faucet?

Hi Paigeysmom,

What a frustrating set of circumstances!! But at least you're finally getting the apron sink you wanted from the beginning. And in copper yet -- how gorgeous!!

I think the copper should look fabulous with the cabinets, but the question I would ask is, what colour are the countertops? As long as the countertop compliments both the silver and the copper, I think the mixed metals will be fine. (In the link you provided, for instance, there's a picture with a copper sink and a silver/steel faucet, and the countertop looks predominantly white & grey with streaks of brown.)

In the interests of full disclosure, I should probably say that I'm a big fan of an eclectic look, with pieces that "go together" rather than "match". For instance, my big kitchen faucet will be copper, my prep sink faucet will be ORB.

Be sure to post pictures when everything gets in -- that kitchen is going to be beautiful!!

--------------- Trilby

o

OMG! I must have that lapis lazuli gemstone sink!!! God's way of telling me that I'll make too much money some day! Don't let Igloochic see the amber sink or she'll blow her budget again!

Sorry to be so far OT. That company looks pricey but gorgeous. Copper is a very strong dramatic statement, but your faucet will blend with SS appliances, which read neutral, so the eye will be drawn to the copper and not to the faucet, if that makes any sense. (Unless your faucet is very eye-catching and dramatic?)

o

As a follow up, the granite has not yet been selected so we can select a color that will tie in the silver and copper tones.

To answer bluekitobsessed's question about the faucet--it actually is very dramatic. It is the Waterstone Annapolis Gantry faucet. A vintage style faucet with a commercial pre rinse unit--so it will be a lot of satin nickel. That is what makes me think maybe we should be considering the stainless steel apron sink instead of copper.

Here is a link that might be useful: Faucet

o
One more detail

I just thought of one more detail that may help. The floors will be brazilian koa/tigerwood--a redish color wood with black streaks. I was thinking the copper sink may be a nice way to tie the floor color into the room. I'm just not sure though.

o

I have a copper sink with a brushed nickel faucet in my bar/hutch area. I love it! I made sure my granite ties in with both colors.

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

We have a hammered copper sink in our bathroom and I hunted for hours and hours, days and days, non-stop for a faucet that seemed right.... and it's not even in a prominent place like a kitchen... so I can imagine your angst. (I read an article about "Champagne problems".... oops, OT :~))

While my preferred metal for faucets is nickel, it just didn't make me go "ahhhhh" next to the copper sink. It worked, but something wasn't quite right. ORB looked great colour-wise, but the finishes on the ones I saw looked fake somehow. Then, in the final hour, I stumbled upon a "Cifial" faucet (very hard to find here in Canada) and their ORB (called "Weathered") cast brass faucet is gorgeous next to the sink! I just joined this forum today and haven't figured out how to attach pix yet, but I've included a link below. Chop back the URL to see more styles. In real life, there's a beautifully subtle/warm/natural glow along some of the edges of the detailing.

I'm not trying to change your mind as I really do LOVE nickel, but just wanted bring in another perspective.

Good luck! Your sink & faucet are both gorgeous!
~ sb

Btw, we're just beginning a kitchen reno and are considering a granite called "Brown Suede" because it does what I think you're trying to do --- tie together warm copper with other cooler metals. We're trying to blend the character of our rustic 1854 house with some of our more modern tastes --- warm cherry shaker-style cabinets with cooler pro-line stainless appliances. This granite seems to marry the two quite well. Now... any ideas for a backsplash???

Here is a link that might be useful: Cifial weathered bronze faucet

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here