Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
1929spanish

Home espresso drinkers...What brand do you prefer?

1929Spanish
9 years ago

I need a new espresso bean. Okay, beans. I've used Segafredo Zanetti for years, but am ready for a change. I've always preferred their Classico, but made the move to Casa for whole bean and it's a little strong for me.

You would never call me a barista and I am working with a Breville 800 series with an grinder on board.

What do you drink and where do you get it?

Comments (14)

• carree
    9 years ago

Lavazza. We just purchased our second heavy duty espresso machine with pods. We purchase them through espresso zone or amazon.

Our first machine lasted thirteen years under heavy, regular use so we feel the quality is good.

• chiefneil
    9 years ago

I don't do espresso at home, but I do love my fresh-roasted beans for regular coffee. I sometimes buy from intelligentsia or blue bottle online, and sometimes from local roasters.

One of my local places actually uses regular (i.e. not dark-roasted) beans for their espresso. It's an interesting experience - the espresso is definitely lighter, but a ton of the inherent flavor of the single source bean comes through. You may want to give it a try and see how you like it.

• lascatx
    9 years ago

We used to buy local in-store roasted coffee, but the store closed. Fortunately, we found a replacement -- Jet Fuel. It is a roast from a smaller, family-owned business (Independence Coffee Co)a little over an hour from here that is available at HEB. I had to look to see if you can get it online or anywhere else before posting. I found it on Amazon, but it also ships directly from the company. Put that link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jet Fuel

• malabacat_gw
    9 years ago

I generally use Peet's coffee for my espresso machine. For caffeinated beans I really like Espresso Forte and Garuda Blend, and for decaf, I prefer decaf Major Dickason's. I like Peet's quite a bit, and I have a Peet's store very close to my house, which is very handy. I don't have to worry about running out of beans. I used Blue Bottle for awhile, but it's not as convenient for me to get their beans. I prefer their Hayes Valley espresso over their Roman espresso, and their Decaf Noir is pretty good. I was given a gift of Stumptown's Hair Bender beans (only one of their coffees I've tried), and they were delicious.

• lascatx
    9 years ago

OK, this thread just cost me a road trip. I looked at the Independence Coffee Co website and found coffees I didn't know they had (not that I'm surprised), but I think DH and I need to make a trip to Brenham to check out their Jackhammer and Espresso coffees -- at least. A stop by the Blue Bell Creamery will also be in order.

We used to have a favorite coffee company when we were in CA -- even ordered it after we move to Texas. Deaf Dog Coffee, Their dark roast was Bark & Bite. The Decaf was Sleeping Dog.

• 1929Spanish
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks!

Lascats.....road trips are fun. I googled Deaf Dog Coffee, but it looks like they closed. :( Now Blue Bottle might just have to get us on a road trip! We love New York and SF.

I'm down to my last half bag of beans and can't wait to make a switch. I've used Coffee Rocket in the past, but I order big for free shipping and end up stuck if I make a mistake. Mr. Spanish drinks drip, not espresso so we're a two-machine household!

• Texas_Gem
    9 years ago

I usually get my espresso from Starbucks. Sometimes I get it from a local coffee shop that does in house roasting.

• carolmka
    9 years ago

I have a Nespresso Latissimo. Its awesome. You have the option for espresso or a very nice cappuccino. Broke my Starbucks habit.

• jerzeegirl
    9 years ago

We used Trader Joe's espresso whole beans, ground at home and then brewed in a Bialetti. It will put hair on your chest.

• lascatx
    9 years ago

Yes, Deaf Dog closed years ago. I'm sorry. I thought that but guess it never got to the keyboard. Starbucks was exploding ad the town was doing some major road construction that impacted Deaf Dog's primary locations. The guy had to file for bankruptcy and we were hoping a friend would buy the recipe and name rights for a new place but I don't think it mattered to him as much as it did us.

• aptosca
    9 years ago

Espresso's not supposed to be burnt (no matter how much Starbucks and Peets think so.)

Personally, I swear by Stumptown's Hair Bender. I used to get from the usual suspects (the two above, Trader Joes, etc.) but when I ended up upgrading to a better machine with a separate grinder, it became very obvious how stale and/or burnt they were.

I've tried to find beans I like as much locally but have failed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stumptown's Hair Bender

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

I get Starbuck's at the grocery store (fewer $$) but discovered Safeway's espresso is really GREAT. It's very full bodied and not at all bitter. Love it.

I used to adore Caribu Coffee's espresso, but they closed around here. Majorca is a local coffee roaster and delicious, but they closed all but one of their coffee shops and I'm not driving a half an hour and paying $11 to park to buy coffee.

Panera is also good, but I have no idea if they sell beans.

Got you beat on the age of the espresso machine. My little Krups is over 27 years old. The carafe top is held together with checkered duct tape. I exploded my first one, which is a hilarious, stupid story, and this is it's exact replacement. I now have a Keurig but haven't gone so far as to find those little cups for espresso. I'm wondering if I can find a reusable one?

Ok. Nuff said. I love my espresso with milk and my Reese's cups on the porch in the morning. I am very lucky.

• lascatx
    9 years ago

We had Caribu when we were in DC years ago and liked it. Wasn't available here. What they have available in stores now is nearly all pre-ground and lighter roast. They seem to target ordinary coffee drinkers.

If you have a Keurig, one great source I've found is Coffee Icon. They have a wide selection and free shipping on larger orders. I was ordering a hot chocolate mix DH loves and got some K-cups for my brother so I could get free shipping.

BTW, Independence Coffee has some K-cups now. Bought some Jet Fuel for my brother. Don't know if they have espresso.

• farmhousegirl
    9 years ago

I love love love my Delonghi espresso machine!!! I have two. The Delonghi Nespresso uses capsules and they have numerous blends you can try. (The machine comes with 8-10 different blends, so you can sample them all and decide which you like.) I like the orange and red ones..can't remember the name. I also have a traditional Delonghi machine for grounds.. I buy trader joes and lavazza.