Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilmissunshine

Kitchen Chair Cushions

lilmissunshine
10 years ago

Just an opinion, I have a beautiful solid oak dining set, very nice, but the chairs have no cushioning on them, which, after a while of sitting, can get a little uncomfortable on your back & bottom side. I thought about getting chair cushions for them, but, I'm remolding my kitchen & am trying to get away from anything that would be considered "country" as I am told chair cushions are considered to be. I remember growing up & my mom had chair cushions for our kitchen chairs & how they constantly slid around on the chair, so, I never even considered them. But now, they seem to have made a "comeback" in the stores, so my question is, are they in style again? Would you or do you have chair cushions, anyone? Are they too country looking? I know that pier 1 imports have some nice ones, but they also look like the same type I remember as a kid, so, I'm wondering if I'll have the same problem with them. It seems most dining/kitchen chairs have built in cushions now, which is what I'd prefer, but can't really afford to buy a whole new dining set right now. I'm curious what you guys think or what you've done for your kitchen chairs? Thanks in advance.

Comments (11)

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

I don't know what your budget is, but can you just get new chairs and not a whole set? Places like Target, Pier 1, etc...sell inexpensive chairs. Also look online by googling dining chairs. I am looking for a lone parson's chair..but most of the online websites only sell them in two's--prices were pretty good for the ones I saw.

• lilmissunshine
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Joanie for your suggestion, yes, I've looked at pier1 & a few other places, just for the chairs & have found some that I like, but, I guess I just want everything to match (table & chairs both) :) I'm basically still just in the "think" stages anyhow & just wanted to know what everyone thought of chair cushions for oak chairs. Thanks again.

• ginny20
    10 years ago

Overstock.com has reasonably priced chairs. We just got comfortable new leather DR chairs, free shipping, no hassle, no problems.

But yes, I'd do cushions, why not? Function trumps looks in my book. I don't think they need to be "country." Choice of fabric will help set the style, as will shape. I think tufts look more casual/country.

• lucas_tx_gw
    10 years ago

We have these 'gripper' cushions from JCP, so they don't slide around and aren't all big and puff.

Cheap enough that you can get them and if you hate them, no big deal!

Here is a link that might be useful: Gripper Chair cushions

• lilmissunshine
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Ginny, yes, I still have 3 kids (almost grown) but still messy as "H" lol.
    Thank you also Lucas, do the gripper cushions really work well, I've always wondered how well they actually grip a chair. I'm thinking about painting my dining room set, but, not sure, maybe that'll help the cushions grip better.

• gothaml
    10 years ago

We have upholstered chairs and my daughters is an absolute mess. Granted we've had them 11years now and a couple of them are due for reupholstry, but it I did it again I think I would do wooden, with a detachable cushion. With fabric choices they can be cute and modern, and also easy to clean!

That said our current chairs are super comfortable....

• bookworm4321
    10 years ago

I had pads made for my chairs, using fabric that I have on LR chairs. They lie flat, and attach with snaps, no ties. Does not look country.

• lucas_tx_gw
    10 years ago

Ours are a natural maple, the set was my MIL's, seats are very smooth and worn with use. Cushions grip great, no moving at all.

I turned the cushion upside down on the first chair so you can see the gripper surface

This post was edited by lucas_tx on Sat, Jul 20, 13 at 18:29

• lilmissunshine
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you to everyone for all your advice/feedback. I actually found a place that does custom chair cushions, they also make napkins, table cloths & place mats to match, so, I'm waiting back on an estimate from them, I might go that route, thanks for the picture of the chairs lucas, much appreciated.

• Debbi Branka
    10 years ago

Exactly what Lucas has! Way cheaper than custom. Not country (no skirt over the edge, etc.) and works fine. I have almost those same cushions on my oak dining table. On my white island chairs, I have navy blue cushions from Ikea. I think they were $6 or maybe $9 each. They don't grip on the bottom (they're reversible), but they velcro around the chair-back posts so they don't move (picture attached).

• lilmissunshine
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I really love how your table matches your island Deb, really nice looking, thanks for the picture.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!