Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sabjimata

Five Stars for my Fivestar Ranges!

sabjimata
13 years ago

We have been using our Fivestar ranges for a month now and love them. They are fabulously powerful, easy to clean and look (imho) good.

Just called customer service to get help figuring out the self cleaning oven. Got put through to a real person right away. The man was spoke in a soft southern drawl and really gave me a lot of time. I told him how I love my ranges and he excitedly began talking about how it is a company owned business that has been around since the 30's. It was a very sweet over the phone service call.

Just want to say that I am so happy with my ranges and want to put a positive review of Fivestar out there into the internet ether.

Comments (8)

• sayde
    13 years ago

Those ranges look great! Can you please tell more, like how you decided on Five Star and why two 30 inch instead of one 60? Are yours the closed burner, and how did you decide which style burner to get?

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

What a great way to creatively and economically get TONS of cooking power! What kind of ovens do you have? You mention self cleaning, but gas/electric and convection? I'm trying to figure out what cooking appliance(s) to get and am completely confused right now--can't even decide between range & cooktop! LOL! Thought I might do induction but am having second (and third) thoughts and may switch back to gas as I originally intended (currently have 30" ceramic top range). I've been told that on this forum that at least some people don't pull their ranges out to clean, may I ask if you can pull yours out (too heavy to move)? TIA for all information!

• sabjimata
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oops! Meant *family* owned business.

Sayde--I started out the range hunt looking for a good deal on a 60". Mainly looking at Viking, Wolf and Thermador. i was calling shops in Orlando and Jacksonville (about 2 hours from me) to see if anyone had a 60" they were looking to move.

No chance. Time and time again it was suggested that I get two 30" once the sales people heard my budget. One sales person even said to me--"Oh, with a budget like that, someone will probably recommend you get a Fivestar. I wouldn't."

So i became curious, yet hesitant about Fivestar. Turns out that shop didn't sell Fivestar, so I wasn't sure how to take that salesman's comment.

But I did start looking online about info on Fivestar. Lots of negative comments, but none of them from an actual Fivestar owner. A lot of people didn't like how they looked or the way the knobs felt (I don't know what is wrong with the knobs).

I read one review of Fivestar by someone on Chowhound saying that it had no digital parts so any appliance repair person could fix it. Wow! Our Kenmore Elite range just blew up, so I found that really appealing.

Then I saw the BTU's--all 21,000! Wow. I didn't see such high BTU's standard on any other range.

So, in short, two 30"s because cheaper than a 60"...although, with Fivestar, not that much cheaper. All sealed burners. The unsealed have a lower BTU output (I think 14,000) and i didn't have the mental energy to research to see if there was some reason the lower BTU would be counteracted by the open burner and thus all cooking heat would be equal in the end. I just went with the bigger number.

Flwrs--the ovens are electric convection. At first I was like *whoa* because they are small inside. The heating elements are exposed, so there is not a ton of room. You can only use 2 racks comfortably (3 for cookies, but for other stuff, two).

We have pulled our ranges out a few times for work associated with the tile. I definitely think it would be more difficult with a 60".

I also like getting two 30's because I wanted all burners. We are vegetarian, so the grill is not really that important to us and we figure we can always pop a griddle on top of the burners.

• roger_kathy
    10 years ago

Sabjimata, I read your review of the FiveStar posted in 2010. Three years have gone by. Do you still feel the same? Would you buy FiveStar again? I am considering them and are a little unsure, any input would help. Thank you so much!

• roger_kathy
    10 years ago

Sabjimata, I read your review of the FiveStar posted in 2010. Three years have gone by. Do you still feel the same? Would you buy FiveStar again? I am considering them and are a little unsure, any input would help. Thank you so much!

• gigigiggles
    8 years ago

Roger_Kathy, Sabjimata: any update(s) / new views on Five Star please?! It's sooo difficult getting info on this made in USA range & nearly impossible trying to locate one on a sales floor in the Northeast.

• jason_glendale
    5 years ago

I would also like to hear an update on this install?

• davidhunternyc
    5 years ago

Ditto. Would you choose FiveStar again?