Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Correct sink installation? Hercules Universal Sink Harness Kit?

Posted by spartans99 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 16, 14 at 9:56

We are still debating between two countertops (soapstone vs steel rock granite - and yes, I know it's like apples and oranges - argh). However, I just purchased my Kraus 32" stainless sink last night and I am reading up on proper sink setting procedures . I am a little TKO on details like this, but I don't want to spend thousands of dollars and have problems after the fact.

So, all of that brings me to proper sink installation for an undermount sink. I have read we shouldn't be screwing the sink into the stone. I have also read we shouldn't just glue / epoxy the sink in place. The following link from Vermont Soapstone walks through a process with plywood build up in the sink base for the sink to rest in.

http://www.vermontsoapstone.com/discover/install_undermountsink.html

I have also read on this forum about the Hercules Universal Sink Harness kit. Do I need this in addition to, or instead of, the plywood build up as noted above?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Correct sink installation? Hercules Universal Sink Harness K

There are many good ways to mount a sink, gluing not being one of them. (If there is glue involved, find another way).

Plywood is ok but there are simpler ways, such as Sinkits Sink Clamps, Hercules Sink Harness and several different mounting brackets.

Any of the above would take the place of plywood.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sinkits

o

spartans99:

Forget the plywood and stud inserts. You want your sink supported by the cabinets, not the top, which is exactly what the HUSH does. Use it and nothing but a bead of 100% silicone at the flange to mount your sink.

I've installed at least 30 sinks with the HUSH. No callbacks in 5 years.

o

Thank you @ kevdp4 and Trebruchet!

Just one additional question - if I use HUSH system and only put silicone at the flange, what about the area between the top of the sink and the bottom of the stone? I am assuming there may be a small crack where water could enter. Would you agree that silicone "caulk" would also be applied in this area to prevent water getting between the sink and stone?

Thanks!

o

spartan99:

Sorry for any confusion, but I'm calling the top of the sink, 90 degrees to the sink wall, the flange. This is where you apply silicone that goes to the bottom of the stone.

o

Thanks for this question, spartan. I should be at sink installation in a couple of months, so am starting my research. What is HUSH?

Thanks!

o

bicyclegirl:

Sorry. Hercules Universal Sink Harness:

Here is a link that might be useful: HUSH

o

Thanks Tre!

o

Trebruchet, the HUSH doesn't add depth to the sink, does it? It seems to sit higher than the sink drain in the pictures. I am working with very tight clearances and want to make sure I get the right pullout trash set up for below the sink.

o

vinudev_liny:

The HUSH adds no sink depth. The wires are attached to the top of the cabinet sides and hug the sink when pulled together, so it will have virtually no effect on your trash pull-out.

o

Thanks, Trebruchet. That's good to know. I will specify it to be used with the fabricator/contractor.

o

Hi My counter has already been installed and the sink is just glued with shims. is it too late to use the HUSH?

o

xtrmr:

Your sink will fail. It's not "if" it's "when". If you have rodded countertops this could be very serious.

Have your fabricator remove the sink by driving a scraper between the flange and top, then install the HUSH.

It can be installed without removing the sink. Screw the clips to 3/4" plywood and screw the plywood to the cabinet sides.

Here is a link that might be useful: Retrofit HUSH

This post was edited by Trebruchet on Tue, Sep 9, 14 at 6:58

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here