Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
editionk_gw

My Intro - I'm New

editionk
12 years ago

Hi, I'm editionk.

About me:

I've lurked at GW for awhile & it was time to register.

About my house:

Early 70s ranch home. 1,000 sq ft main floor. DH & I have refinished all main floor rooms (in/ext doors, flooring, paint, all trim, lighting, switchplate covers), partially finished half of basement & new replacement windows since living here.

Small galley kitchen just under 9' long. 7' counter space. 2 x 30" upper cabs, 3 drawers, 3 lower doors (excl under sink), closet type pantry 12" deep x 30" wide.

We replaced the 70's gold Formica and original built-in cabs in January 2010. However, DH is set on a larger space so here we go.

About the project:

-8x20 covered front porch addition

-18x14 kitchen/eating area addition at rear of house

-Re-roof and re-side entire house

-Replace existing wood laminate floor in 1/2 bath, main bath, hall & new kitchen area

-Replace cabinets/counters/mirrors in main & half baths (DIY after GC does flooring)

-Move laundry to basement; create new full bath/combined laundry downstairs (DIY, reuse existing kitchen cabs, bath portion is Phase II)

Although DH has done plumbing, electrical, finish work and more we will use a GC & subs on this project.

So, here I am. Full of of anxiety and excitement.

We have a better-than-rough layout (self-designed) & will be reviewing it with a KD soon, GC selected, exterior colors/trims picked and now are working through the somewhat overwhelming kichen/design process.

My biggest concerns are not individual choices, but making sure everything ties together well, that the layout flows and that I've considered everything ahead of time so I'm not forced to make decisions under pressure (LOL).

I'm excited to be here at GW :)

Comments (25)

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

Welcome! Looking forward to seeing some layouts and watching this come to fruition.

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

Welcome editionk! If you've lurked for a while, I'm sure you've read the thread entitled "New to Kitchens? Posting pics?" containing valuable info for new members.

Like remodelfla, I'm looking forward to seeing your layout and progress.

• blfenton
    12 years ago

Post your layouts here as well. You'll get lots of "practical" information here. You'll also get what really works and doesn't work in a kitchen information from a whole bunch of people eager to share their knowledge and advice. Good luck and welcome.

• editionk
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the welcome. Here are a few layouts.

(1) Current kitchen
    (2) Current house
    (3) Addition as blank slate. Interior dimensions left to right 17', top to bottom 22.5'.

In the new space we need a kitchen table, 3x7 to 4x8 island with seating for 4, counter/drawer/cuboards, some open space (future desk, possible chair), slider on R side and will build a few closets.

Will post the rough new kitchen layout also.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• editionk
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here's a view of the house to see flow. The addition would extend the two interior bathroom walls (main bath on L and half/laundry on R) out.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• editionk
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here's a look at the proposed addition as empty space. 1 square = 6".

1/2 bath stays the same, laundry moves downstairs.
    L to R is 17'.
    Top to bottom is 22.5'.

Deck will be accessed off R wall but slider can go anywhere. New space will house 3x7 or 4x8-ish island, kitchen and kitchen table (currently 3x4). Main entry to house is via door in lower R of pic. Windows can go anywhere on 3 new walls.

• editionk
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Draft kitchen layout.

L and top walls have 3 - 24x36 double hung windows. Top R and R wall have 3 - 24wx18 awning windows & 6' slider.

Anything can be moved around though slider needs to be on R wall. New construction so it's all negotiable. Island is required. Want it to be a hang-out space. Need to add coat closets, but they don't have to be there. Like having some open space around the windows and also for a future desk (prefer free standing).

Very open to suggestions and LO changes.

• NewSouthernBelle
    12 years ago

Editionk -
    Welcome! How exciting. I briefly, briefly looked at your kitchen floorplan and at first glance it looks great. Because you are adding on, and perhaps aren't constrained by space or making it work with other outside elements (we are constrained by a deck for example), if I were you, I would pull all the kitchens that I liked and see if they have a similar floorplan and create your space for such a floorplan. I would LOVE, love to have the floorplan of Chinese Grandma's kitchen(link below) but my space just isn't any where near that configuration. I find similar 'U' kitchen with big islands inside that I am drawn to but have come to the realization, I just can't have that. Like I said, b/c you are building on, you might be able to create the space to fit your 'dream' floorplan.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chinese Grandma's Dream Kitchen

• editionk
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the feedback TSB! (I should've put LO's in a separate thread w/a diff title for more traffic & can't figure out how to/if I can change this thread's title).

I have seen ChineseGrandma's kitchen and love it. You know what? The blank addition layout I linked above was from when I tried to re-create a U shaped kitchen! I decided it didn't work so well for our space as it didn't leave a big enough section of wall to put the 6' slider. It seems that L shaped works better in our space.

• editionk
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Style so far:
    Shaker. White perimiter cabs. Dark (espresso? walnut?) island. Laminate oiled soapstone-look counters. White subway tile backsplash. DW is stainless; stove/fridge currently white & to be replaced w/stainless sometime. Darkish wood laminate floors.

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

Can you flip the range and sink? Think about natural work flow. Frig... to sink to rinse/wash to range to cook.

• blfenton
    12 years ago

Am I reading your plans correctly and that you only have 36" of aisle space between the sink and island and also between the range and island? That is rather narrow. But it also looks like you didn't take counter overhang into consideration. Your cabinets are 24" deep but counter overhangs can be anywhere from 3/4" to 1 1/2". So at a minimum you are losing 3/4" from each side for a total of 1 1/2" from each aisle and now your aisle widths are down to 34 1/2" which is really narrow.
    How many cooks are/will there be? And how many people helping out in the kitchen.
    Opening up your oven door, DW door and pantry shelves (depending on design) could present traffic problems for people.

• NewSouthernBelle
    12 years ago

Funny that you love that kitchen too. Yeah, the "L" shape makes sense in your space. Sadly, I can't even really do that :(

I do agree with flipping the sink and the range.

• blfenton
    12 years ago

The problem with switching the sink and range that I see is then the DW has to be moved and it would have to go to the left of the sink. Putting it to the right of the sink would have you having the DW door and the oven door almost opening into each other. Depending on how you cook you might have trouble getting from the stove to the sink through that corner.
    If you put the DW to the left of the sink then it is by the fridge and trying to do cleanup at dinner people are trying to get from the table to the fridge and DW and sink with the DW door probably open. Again, there is a traffic jam in that corner. You couldn't get to the sink from the table with the DW door open.

• editionk
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you blfenton and NSB (sorry about the TSP earlier).

blf - yes I had the walkways at 36" and changed them to 42" in the new plan. And thanks for catching the no counter overhang! That really would have cut into an already small walkway as you pointed out.

We originally had the sink/stove swapped. I just swapped them to their original locations. I instinctively put the DW to the R of the sink before I read blf's sink/stove concern.

Today: DH is the primary night/weekend cook, generally alone. I do cleanup alone. A few years from now: kids will assist/learn to cook and also have kitchen chores.

With the stove on the L wall DH had planned to do all prep in the area btw stove and fridge and not use the island for prep.

Currently counter space is so limited and the galley so small (also primary entrance into house) that we are having a difficult time imaging actual "zones" and spaces where more than one adult could comfortably fit. Right now we don't work together bc we don't fit in the space together and if we try to be there together, we have two little kids who want to squeeze in with us, LOL.

Overall I am happy with this plan. There are 2 significant things nissing: (1) I would love a small sitting are for 2 chairs -- no room. (2) I would love a "landing-type" area near the entrance. Some place for papers, purses, school notes, etc. Maybe in the 12" deep pantry?

• blfenton
    12 years ago

If possible I would move the stove closer to the pantry. Most of the prep work will be between the sink and stove and you have little counter space in that area.
    Most counter space, if possible, should be within the work triangle i.e. the space bounded by the stove, fridge and sink. In the above plan you have 5' (the space between the pantry and stove) of counter which is outside of the triangle prep area and that space is of little use.
    What do you have planned for the long run of counter?

Right now you have 3 1/2' of prep counter between the sink and stove and that is also on top of the DW which is now your clean-up zone.

I cooked for 22 years in that configuration of only having 3 1/2' of prep area with a big chunk of counter outside of my prep area. Hated every minute of it.

Just an idea - -Can your two windows along the top wall be split and put the stove in the middle of them? so leave the right window where it is, move the left one down to where the stove is now and then move the stove over towards the pantry so it would be in between the two windows. It gives you more counter space between the sink and stove and would help to alleviate the problem of the DW doors and oven door being in the same space. It would also be kind of neat looking IMHO.

• editionk
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you blfenton. I will think about the function 5' of counter and about sliding the stove to the R.

All of the inspiration pictures I have (and from day 1 in my mind's eye) I've had a double window on the top wall so I could see into the back yard. I want to sit at the island and have as expansive of a view as I can afford (w/o losing too many wall cabs). Two windows = large counter underneath.

Being so happy to see the double windows in a LO I hadn't stopped to think about function of the counter much beyond a fruit bowl and simply being excited to actually have counter that could just be empty space. Right now I have two 3' sections of counter - period. Other than my kitchen table they are the only flat surface in the house pretty much outside of the bathroom counter. I was content to just let it exist without a function...

Back to the drawing board and back here with a LO :)

• blfenton
    12 years ago

No, no,no, please don't let the counter exist without a function. An expansive counter space will become your "Landing area" and before you know it will become a junk counter and will no longer be free and clear. (Speaking from experience) Some how you have to get it into the triangle area and so then you can designate it free space if you like. Or it can be a baking space that can stay clean between baking sessions. And honestly that small prep area between the sink and stove - just not enough space.
    I apologize if it sounds like I'm trying to push you somewhere you don;t want to go design-wise and I get the window thing but an efficient kitchen design is just so important.
    (I clean my counters up every night so that in the morning I come out and see empty counter space because that I really do understand. AHHH - empty counters)

Go back and look at the double-hung window inspiration picture and the kitchen may be a larger one or one with a different shape where counters are also available for prep work.

• blfenton
    12 years ago

Just a quick comment - which way has the better view? The stove wall or the sink wall? If it's the stove wall put the sink/DW there with the double windows and then put the stove on the other wall and split the windows. You need to pick a wall for the view but I'm not sure you'll be able to do both.
    Any other ideas?

• editionk
    Original Author
    12 years ago

blfenton - no apologies needed! I'm incredibly grateful for the ongoing dialog!

Landing space & clutter -- I wasn't too concerned about this bc the counter in question is somewhat out of reach being it's at the back of the room. But a valid point and well-taken.

I don't display knick knacks on counters. Fruit and paper towel; period.

I would prefer a double window on the back wall so looks like the sink goes there with the stove to the L with a single window on that wall.

I'll post some revised LO later today.

Truly, truly I so appreciate you thinking through this -- I do NOT want to have a bit $$$ mistake.

• editionk
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks much to blfenton who has provided continued feedback on my layout. Here are two revised layouts - which do you prefer, why and what should be changed?

---LAYOUT ONE---
    Stove on back wall, windows separated, increased workspace to left of stove (yes, I forgot to include the micro above the stove).

---LAYOUT TWO---
    Sink on back wall under double window. Nicer view when seated at island.

---GENERAL COMMENTS---
    -I think I like the sink more accessible on the side wall. Would like to "protect" the hot stove behind the island while allowing kids to access sink if needed while cook is working.
    -Idea of 3 windows on back wall is growing on me.
    -Makes sense to have multiple larger work counters vs. a few small and one huge.

---DIVING A BIT DEEPER---
    -DH really wants a 4x8 island. I'm not sure the additional cost of 12" cabs under the overhang is worth it?
    -I need help with the desk area (top right of both LOs). I want a dedicated spot to put my laptop when it's not being used and also want a file drawer. Desk does not have to be built in, but I'm afraid a freestanding desk tucked tightly into the space might look too cramped (what I call 'dot-to-dot'). Any comments/ideas?
    -In LO #2 in the top left corner I'm thinking of skipping the upper corner cab. I don't like 45 degreen cabs at all and would rather have either the 3' of uppers to the right of the micro OR the 4' of uppers on the back wall INSTEAD of both just to avoid the corner cab. Anyone?
    Thanks in advance to all who are looking and thinking this through.

• blfenton
    12 years ago

I do like layout #1 better. You have a very valid point about the location of the stove being more protected with little ones when behind the island.
    Two things I'm going to ponder and come back - location of the DW, (maybe moving it to the other side?) and sizes of the island. I'm concerned about the stairway wall and that being a traffic way behind the table which requires more space, and the amount of space needed for the entrance into your deck.
    How often would you use both sets of seating and do you have to have a seat at the end of the island?

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

I prefer layout 1 for two reasons... maybe 3. first, goes with the natural flow of a working kitchen. Next, stove is in a protected traffic path. Lastly, purely aesthetic, I love when a range is flanked by windows.

• editionk
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here is LO #1 revsised. DW has been moved to left of sink (we were thinking the exact same thing). Island is now 4x7 (allows more room by slider).

blfenton -- when we gain and island we will rarely use the table at all.

• blfenton
    12 years ago

I like this one. Now what I think you have to do is see if you can live with it. Put it onto a big piece of paper and trace your movements around. See if you can mock it up in your current living space. I know that can be hard but it's necessary. Use chairs for counter edges, boxes for the island, pick a corner and put something 3'away as the stove and something 3' around the corner for the sink. Is there enough prep space. (I think so)
    Good Luck with all of that.
    Do you mind the split windows? I like the set-up of that wall. but do you.

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals