Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rahull_gw

Stylish Lighting for Poor People

rahull
9 years ago

Any suggestions on where to find some nice lighting for my kitchen and bathrooms? I've been to several lighting stores and everything I've seen has been out of my budget. I've tried Ebay but I don't know what to search for. What are some nice budget-conscious brands for lighting?

I'm poor and cannot justify paying more than $300 per light fixture. Even $200 to me feels like I'm splurging.

I really like the Connetix lights I saw:
{{!gwi}}

I would totally splurge and pay $300 for the Connetix. Unfortunately, it's over $2000.

:-(

Comments (14)

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

The Lindsey Adelman DIY fixtures.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lindsey Adelman DIY kit

• User
    9 years ago

Another site to check is Lamps Plus online outlet. Someone else here posted the link awhile back and I've found some good deals. For example, I've bought 3 new Minka Aire ceiling fans - each about $100 cheaper than the regular price. It's very hit or miss, but worth a look.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lamps Plus Open Box

• Texas_Gem
    9 years ago

IKEA is usually a good place to check. Also your big box stores like Home Depot and Lowes, I've seen some really nice inexpensive fixtures at the stores.

• User
    9 years ago

Buy vintage and refurbish it yourself. Plenty of great fixtures in your local thrift stores.

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

nosoccermom, that is an awesome lighting site. I'm in love with the Terrarium light!!!

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    9 years ago

Ditto that I have seen some great fixtures at Lowes, although I have never been looking at something like you posted above. Definitely look at Ikea.

• MarinaGal
    9 years ago

I have seen some great lighting from West Elm and from IKEA. Not all of it is great, you have to be selective and I would also look in the store if possible before ordering b/c the quality varies. You might also look at Shades of Light. Some of the lighting is inexpensive but again the quality varies. Finally, you could try Overstock - when I use Overstock I do a search on the lighting that has 4 star reviews or above. The reviews on Overstock have been accurate for me so far.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Agree with West Elm, especially when they have their sales. Also definitely Ikea.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

When I was looking for vanity lights, I assumed that Lamps Plus would have better deals than my local lighting store. Turns out they were the exact same price, so I was able to spend locally and got some great hands-on help. Some lighting is outrageously expensive. I'm not poor, but I stick to a reasonable budget and WOW! lighting just isn't where I want to sink my dollars. Lamps Plus is a great place to figure out what's out there that you can afford.

• schicksal
    9 years ago

live_wire_oak - you have better thrift stores than we have. The fixtures here look like stuff that would have been turned down for the set of Napoleon Dynamite!

• Terri_PacNW
    9 years ago

I have learned that I also need to pay attention to the bulb type..I have bought some fun lights and some great deals...until the light "bulb" needs to be replaced...then can't find the specialty bulb or they are just plain expensive.

I too have the Napoleon D, lighting in my area...blech..

• tracie.erin
    9 years ago

You might look at outdoor fixtures too. I paid

• phidauex
    9 years ago

You should try making your own! Lighting is very easy to make now that CFL and LED bulbs are common - their low heat makes it much easier to make something that is safe and reliable.

You can get a variety of cord+switch+socket kits very inexpensively that handle the electrical part, then you just build what you want around it. For inspiration, check out the instructables link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Instructables - Lamps

• Skyangel23
    9 years ago

I second Home Depot and Lowes, but look online, where they have literally thousands of choices. I like that I could easily return them to the store if I didn't like them when they arrived.

I bought a few lights from Overstock.com and Builddirect.com. I was nervous ordering lights online but they all came well packaged, in great condition, and unique and gorgeous.
    None of my lights were over $200, most about $150.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!