Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Counter top help -- Oak with stainless/black appliances

Posted by clarkbar03 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 11, 11 at 9:39

Hi! I am new here. we are remodeling our kitchen and I have no eye for this stuff. We have a larger galley kitchen with breakfast bar, honey oak cabinets, oil rubbed bronze hardware, stainless and black appliances and a blonde formica countertop. Right now everything looks very out of place. The appliances look very contemporary next to the traditional oak cabinets. We are putting in granite countertops, but I am not sure what color. We were hope a darker shade might pull it altogether? Uba tuba or black pearl?? Any suggestions would be much appreciated. We are planning a tile back splash too. I could use help with any suggestions there as well!! I have pictures, but I'm not sure how to post them. Can e-mail if that helps. Thanks so much! CB

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Counter top help -- Oak with stainless/black appliances

Look for Buehl's thread "new to GW? Help posting pictures.."
There are detailed instructions in that post. It is usually on page 1, sometimes it slips down before being bumped. Essentially, get yourself a photobucket acount set up, upload your photos, and then you will click on the html code, copy and paste it into your message here. When you do the Preview Message, you will see the photo. But look at that post for better details.

As far as your kitchen, my friend is doing exactly what you are talking about. She chose Giallo Ornamental for her counters. She though about black too, but I cautioned her that it might look too dark for her space. Her counters currently (well, before they were ripped out) are a light formica. So, to make the drastic change I think would have darkened the space. The colors in the GO really worked nicely with the black appliances, the oak, and the gray in it worked with the stainless faucet and sink.

Don't worry about your tile backsplash yet, find the counters first.

Hope this helps you.

Here is a link that might be useful: New to the forum thread

o

A friend of ours refreshed her kitchen about 5 years ago. She has the original slab door oak cabs (house was built in the 70's?). I don't remember if they re-finished the cabs (they appeared to be a golden oak color). They used a Golden or Yellow River type granite I believe. Wahtever it was, it looked aweome with her cabs--the granite played off the cab color, and vice-versa. Both really looked rich together.

o

I put in Uba Tuba and LOVE it. I have med oak cabinets, new stainless appliances and a gray tile floor. Went with white onyx mosaic for the backsplash. It just pulls everything together. I still don't have the new hardware in but have decided on pewter. Just need to order and install now.

As to the Uba Tuba it is very forgiving. Doesn't show dust or even a dirty counter for that matter. I have a large window above my sink, but that is the only natural light. In my opinion the dark counters just seem to ground the cabinets if that makes sense.

Good luck! Can't wait to see it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here