Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Polished Marble HELP!!!

Posted by dressupfiles (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 12, 14 at 9:33

Hi Everyone!

We're in the final stages of a whole home gut renovation. I've always loved the look of marble and after lots of going back and forth, I decided to take the plunge. But, I don't think I did enough research on polished vs honed.

When we negotiated with the fabricator, I just went with polished because it was cheaper.

Monday morning, we are having polished carrara installed in our kitchen (perimeter + island), master bath vanity and powder room vanity.

I just started reading up on polished vs honed and I am freaking out about the etching. I'm not super neat or fastidious and am a sloppy exuberant cook. But, also I'm pretty laid back and I don't think small amounts of etching would bother me. I have a friend with honed and her etching doesn't bother me but I'm really worried that on polished, it will stand out so much.

Does anyone here have polished marble countertops and any words of wisdom? advice? I'm literally losing sleep over this...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Polished Marble HELP!!!

Let it get a patina in the kitchen. Even out the patina with lemon juice or whatever you're cooking. Basically, let time and use hone it, and help it out a little where it needs it.

Or freak out because you got the wrong stuff! :)

Seriously, to enjoy it, you have to be able to appreciate how it wears. It wears beautifully to many, but some people don't care for the look. If you try to keep it perfect, you will fail. If you let it be itself, you will love it.

But you do have to try to keep it nice and shiny in the bathrooms. For a while at least.

o

I have 10 year old polished marble kitchen counters that show far less etches than my neighbor's 1 year old honed. Our ktchens both are north facing and on the darker natural light side of things. Etches happen and show equally if not even more on some honed marble. I also can, but do not often do it, polish out small etches with tin oxide where as my neighbor was told she could not use tin oxide to hide etches for it would make shiny spots on her honed marble. Relax it will be ok if you could live with honed you can live with polished. I have 95 year old wood floors with lots of marks, scratches and etched spots that I really still love. I think marble acts alot like wood and if you are the type who only likes brand new polished wood sans flaws than any marble, honed or otherwise is not for you. If you do not mind life's marks polished will work out just fine.

o

Thanks ladies! I feel so much better!

@dressupfiles (instagram handle)

Here is a link that might be useful: www.dressupfiles.com

o

Calacatta marble makes me swoon. But I had give up on Tha option for fear of upkeep, as I, too, am a messy, exuberant cook. I love old wood floors, and it dawns on me that whenever I see a marble top, I don't see the etch marks or stains, I see the beauty of the stone. Thanks fori and roarah for reminding me of that.

o

The marble sales guy I spoke with said to get polished. He said it wears better over time... his personal opinion. :) Don't panic, it'll be gorgeous!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here