Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
minac_gw

Finally 100% finished Cherry cabinet kitchen

minac
15 years ago

I posted my kitchen over 2 years ago with the 95% complete. I am sort of like that senior that had one more class to take and most of my gardenweb kitchen remodel class graduated two years ago and I am just finishing up. So thanks to everyone that helped me with my undercabinet light for the passthru, people that gave me backsplash help and pointing me to Oceanside glass tiles (expensive and wouldn't have been able to do it 2 years ago but I love the way it turned out) and helped me thru the tile vendor dilemna. I am now 100% done with my kitchen and now can focus on gaining those cooking skills to match the kitchen.

Here is the before and you are basically seeing all the counterspace that existed

{{!gwi}}

Here are some of the after pictures

{{!gwi}}

Sink area before backsplash

{{!gwi}}

Sink area after backsplash

{{!gwi}}

Desk are before backsplash

{{!gwi}}

Desk area after backsplash

{{!gwi}}

Stove and passthru area before backsplash

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (36)

• maydl
    15 years ago

So, so lovely! This space must be a joy to work in. And the backsplash was worth waiting for!

• susanilz5
    15 years ago

That backsplash is definately a beauty! It was worth the wait!

• igloochic
    15 years ago

What a difference a backsplash makes! I absolutely adore the flow of the counter to the cabinets with the different colors. It's so rich!!! Great work!!!

• bluekitobsessed
    15 years ago

Backsplash makes a huge difference! Enjoy!

• Jean Farrell
    15 years ago

Looks great! I figure I won't be able to post a 100% finished kitchen for about 2 years, hope mine looks as nice as yours when I finally do it.

• Sue Brunette (formerly known as hockeychik)
    15 years ago

Oh my gosh! I love it. Can you post a close up of the tile?

• minac
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the kind words. It's funny how quickly you forget the before pictures and all the things you agonized over to update the kitchen you take for granted. Now that I have the backsplash, I'm falling in love with the kitchen all over again. I am happy I waited though for the backsplash because I don't think we would have picked the same thing two years ago (I was thinking more tumbled marble) and we were so tired from the remodel that we just wanted all contractors out and didn't have the money or energy to pick out anything more.

• mattall
    15 years ago

Your kitchen came out great! Can you tell me what refrigerator/range you got. And also your faucet, it looks pretty!!

• fran1523
    15 years ago

Beautiful kitchen and the back splash is striking.

• sduck2
    15 years ago

Oh goody, I was "almost finished" last September but still haven't posted pic's. The kitchen is never clean enough!

You're kitchen is beautiful. I love the green in the backsplash. And it's so clean!

• brutuses
    15 years ago

Beautiful!!

• rosie
    15 years ago

Wow! That is a very handsome home and a gorgeous backsplash. I bet your pictures help a lot of people who think they need to use white tile to lighten up.

• minac
    Original Author
    15 years ago

mattall - the fridge is LG Brand - LFD2580TT French Door in Titanium. I don't think they make it with the shallow water dispenser anymore - only the full size one. The range is Dacor Epicure 30' Range ERD30S06BK-NG. The faucet was all the rage 2 years ago when I was looking for a pull-down that wasn't a modern look - it's Brizo Floriano #D63500-SS

hockeychik - here is a closeup of the tile. It's the Oceanside 1X2 Copper blend with the 4X4 tile and a baby bar.

{{!gwi}}

• mamadadapaige
    15 years ago

your backsplash is sensational! I love it! The kitchen is gorgeous. You must be so glad to be 100% finished.

• cat_mom
    15 years ago

What a cool look!

• mrs-mjt
    15 years ago

Absolutely stunning! Thanks for sharing it!

• beachcomber3
    15 years ago

Fabulous kitchen! Backsplash is a knock-out! Do you have any tips on selecting the backsplash?
    Tina

• lyfia
    15 years ago

Very nice and awesome backsplash!

• minac
    Original Author
    15 years ago

beachcomber3 - tips for picking a backsplash - look thru the gardenweb finished kitchens and posts and see backsplashes you like in kitchens with a similar color scheme (i.e. dark cabinets and light counters) or a similar style (i.e. modern or arts and craft etc.). I knew from looking at other kitchen backsplashes that had similar styles that I was attracted to either offset subway tiles, offset brick joint pattern, or a slate pattern. I also knew I didn't want a complicated pattern because I wasn't confident in my skill to come up with a layout and I didn't have a go-to tile person to execute it. Finally - I was one of the many "help I need a backsplash" post on gardenweb. A few people pointed me to Oceanside glass tiles so it was a mattern of deciding colors and getting samples. A showroom we went to helped us with the bottom transition piece. We knew we wanted to bring green into it since that is the accent color in the kitchen and the accent color in the countertop. I guess the other thing is deciding what kind of look you want your kitchen to have. I love neutrals (in case you couldn't tell) so keeping it earthy and bringing the outdoor colors in was the look/feeling I wanted.

• Sue Brunette (formerly known as hockeychik)
    15 years ago

Thanks for the closeup of the backsplash. I think I read that your husband had the idea of the green tile on the bottom? It just totally finishes it off. It really draws the attention and makes the smaller tiles stand out so well.

• minac
    Original Author
    15 years ago

hockeychik - yes my husband came up with the idea of having the 4X4 and transition piece and he was leaning towards the green. He felt very strongly that he didn't just want the same pattern all the way to the counter. It's often like this with the house that there is the one key thing that he feels strongly about and at first I wonder why is he focused on this - but in the end he turns out to be right on the money.

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

The backsplash steals the show! Great job on your kitchen.

• louisa_smith03
    15 years ago

Gasp!! that backsplash is gorgoeous!! And you can just tell that it always will be. The only thing that I would add is that the light paint color somewhat distracts my eye from the lovely, lovely backsplash and I hope whenever you repaint (no rush-- you've earned a break!) you'll go with a sage or caramel color. But enjoy right now!! Really inspiring! thank you for sharing the eye candy!

• Buehl
    15 years ago

What an interesting backsplash! I think it really adds interest to the sink area in particular. Great job!

• Laurie
    15 years ago

Enjoy cooking in your beautiful new kitchen!! I especially like your faucet choice (style & color). It goes well with the rich dark cabinets & colorful backsplash : )

• minac
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm still loving the finished kitchen - I'm now trying to figure out how to keep it clutter free.

louisa - repaint - oh no - we are planning to enjoy a break from any indoor home improvements. I am focusing on landscaping next. You can't tell from the pictures (I take the worst pictures) but the walls are actually tan. The only natural light is from one end of the kitchen and oddly enough the glass backsplash made the kitchen a little darker (maybe the darker colors in the mix). If we did anything maybe we could make an accent wall more of a caramel color but it would be too dark for the whole kitchen.

• melanie1121
    15 years ago

Beautiful Kitchen. Do you have the website for Oceanside tile?
    Enjoy!
    Melanie1121

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

minac, I just love your kitchen! I remember when you first posted it and had bought the refrigerator that I loved and still do. You did a wonderful designing job. Ilove your rich cabinet color, beautiful backsplash and everything about your kitchen. Thanks for sharing.

• louisa_smith03
    15 years ago

minac, I guess I just like dark! I think that caramel color you've got on the perpendicular wall is positively yummy! I would never have believed that a backsplash could make such a difference if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes!

Enjoy the landscaping!

• minac
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Melanie1121 - the website for Oceanside tiles is http://www.glasstile.com/

If you have an Expo design Center - they may carry the tiles. I was pleasantly surprised that they have them where I am and you may be able to catch a 10%, 15% or rare but possibly a 20% off sale. If you have to go to a tile showroom - see if your KD, tile installer, or designer has one they send people to. At least for me - the price off the street was 30% more than Expo and if I had come to them via a vendor, the vendor would have had a discount that hopefully would have been extended to me. I was very lucky to get a price match. I think the only place I could find that had it was Expo and the distributor/showroom listed on the website.

Thanks for all the kind words - still loving the kitchen - But did I say I was 100% done, actually I still need to get organizers for the cabinets. So I guess it is really 99.5% done :) Well I had that done feeling for maybe a week.

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    15 years ago

What a beautiful kitchen! I recognize that Oceanside Tile backsplash. It looks gorgeous in your kitchen! So, so pretty! Congrats. Love it!

• jennibg
    15 years ago

the before picture looks like my kitchen ha ha!

• sher_nc
    15 years ago

beautiful! such a pretty backsplash!

• boysrus2
    15 years ago

All the elements in your kitchen are beautiful, but that backsplash is the WOW factor without a doubt! The green tiles and pencil liner draw the whole look together in a combination I would have had difficulty putting together myself. It's unique and totally wonderful.

• lynninnewmexico
    15 years ago

Very nice! Congrats on finally finishing it, too.

• wallycat
    15 years ago

Breath-taking!
    Are those cabs finished cherry or unfinished??
    Love the counters/backsplash with the cabs....gorgeous!
    Oh, and what stove do you have there :-) ?