Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldryder

Cosentino Dekton; significantly different than quartz

I am a fabricator.

Did our 1st Dekton job recently. Dekton is a new manufactured countertop material with significantly different properties than your run of the mill quartz countertop; much denser, much more scratch resistant, and 100% UV stable.

http://www.dekton.com/usa/?gclid=CIveqvWxwr8CFYxzMgodZ0gAYA

Cosentino is spending a lot of effort to insure anyone fabricating the material can do a good job. A fabricator has to fab a demonstration project (which means he's invested in the various special tooling engineered specifically for Dekton) and get approved.

Not particularly difficult to fabricate but definitely more shop time than a typical quartz or granite due to chippy edges that have to be dealt with. Raw material cost is similar to the most expensive level of Silestone and fab costs would be more.

I'll post pics once the grill we made is completed.

Comments (33)

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Looking forward to it.

Unlike quartz, Dekton does not contain any resin.

And because of its resistance to abrasion/scratches and thermal shock it can be used for flooring in high traffic areas and outdoors in all weather conditions (building facades).

I wonder whether the material cost will go down over time to be more competitive with Silestone, etc.

Here is a link that might be useful: more info on Dekton

This post was edited by nosoccermom on Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 13:58

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

So Mr. Fancy Pants Architect in the video, Corian doesn't fade huh?

• chrisinsd
    9 years ago

Ha ha, I didn't buy that either which was why I posed that question about Dekton. And all the buildings I've seen are in white.

I really wanted an orange solid surface top for outdoor BBQ counter and/or table and I know that color will turn out like your sign above. Maybe Dekton would be able to be used in that type of way...

• PRO
    Granite City Services
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Cosentino asserts that the material is UV stable with no qualifications.

• chrisinsd
    9 years ago

Thanks Oldryder. Looks like it may be a while before they have any non-neutral colors but, if and when, it could really be great for external applications.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

"Cosentino asserts that the material is UV stable with no qualifications."

oldryder:

You are correct. Dekton would have been a much better choice for an exterior sign, but it hadn't been invented yet.

Notice the Corian seam failure at the "u" and "r". That sign was poorly detailed in so many ways.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Daniel Libeskind sculpture clad in Dekton

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

The graffiti artists are going to have a heck of a time tagging that thing.

• RealHousewifeofNJ
    9 years ago

I looked into Dekton for one small area of my kitchen (I had posted about it) that I needed a 3/4" thick countertop. I briefly considered it, but it wasn't quite the look I was going for. The light colors weren't appealing and the black had a dull finish. Plus the samples I looked at all had chipped corners which they claimed were from the other samples colliding since "only Dekton can chip Dekton". Still didn't sell me. I was quoted $150 a sq. ft. installed for Dekton.

• kafehausdiva
    8 years ago

Hope you had a chance to look at consumer reports review. It cracks!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    8 years ago

kafehausdiva:

Any cracking sintered surface would most likely be fabricator/installer error rather than a manufacturing defect. Either way, the product is warranted, so the consumer would lose nothing but some time. These guys didn't spend billions on this venture only to be done in by cracking. This isn't Wilsonart Solid Surface Veneer.

• paddykk
    7 years ago

I was sold on Dekton until I came home and looked at the consumer reports of cracking. I need this for an outdoor kitchen and I really liked everything about it - the low maintenance and non-porous scratch and stain resistant etc. - perfect for out door. I almost was ready to place the order but I came home and am now sad that I have to go search again!!!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    7 years ago

The cracking may be fabricator/installer error. Use a Certified fabricator/installer and you'll have a warranty.

• lharpie
    7 years ago

I've said it before here and I'll say it again - I love, love, love my dekton countertops! I've scoured the Internet for any real people that have had issues with cracking and haven't found any. Some have had issues with chipping by the fabricators but this shouldn't be an issue if you have an experienced fabricator. In the end I'm very glad I didn't see that article until I had made my decision. My dad talked to the consentino folks recently while shopping countertops and was told there was a slight formulation change to help reduce this problem at some point - no idea if this is true or not. I think they would be great for an outdoor kitchen since the should stand up to uv better than anything else.

• paddykk
    7 years ago

The store selling Dekton said they were certified fabricators for the material. So the plan definitely is to use a certified fabricator. What I was worried about was the consumer report video which shows that it cracks when a 1.09lb object was dropped from about a foot height. Hopefully they changed something in the material/formulation to reduce this. I also sent an email to Cisentino about this and will wait to hear back.

• lharpie
    7 years ago

All I can say is I have banged my 12" cast iron skillet into the edges more times than I care to admit and haven't had any chipping or cracking. Haven't dropped anything on it that I recall. DH does aggressively chop things on it (think slamming a difficult to cut squash down with a knife - definitely more weight than a pound from a foot). The question is whether the countertops were properly installed for the test. You may also be able to get a sample and try dropping things on it if you are worried.

• Kim Ladin
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

From everything I've read, the key with Dekton is to get a good, experienced fabricator/installer. If I selected these countertops, I would (if possible) find an installer who is not only certified but installs them frequently and can give me references to prove it. That plus a good warranty would make me feel comfortable.

• paddykk
    7 years ago

Thanks for all your comments! I thought certified fabricator means that they will know and be good at installing this. But I guess I have to check references of fabricators then. Will call around and see what I find. Will report back to you guys so in the future people looking at Dekton will have the info here at houzz!! Waiting to hear back from the factory too.

• 454bbc
    7 years ago

I'm also looking at Dekton Keon because I love the look and rough/matte feel of a concrete counter top, but don't want to deal with having to seal it constantly and the cracks that will develop over time. I've talked to my KD and she assures me Dekton won't crack and that they have recently changed their formula. The only other counter top surface I've found that resembles concrete is Carrick By Cambria, but its glossy and smooth.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    7 years ago

454bbc:

It is impossible to seal Dekton. If it's installed properly, it isn't going to develop cracks over time.

• 454bbc
    7 years ago

I was referencing the concerns of actual concrete and why I wanted the Dekton to avoid those concerns, sorry if that was confusing. As I understand it Dekton is about as maintenance free as you can get.

• PRO
    Cambria
    7 years ago

454bbc:

You are correct -- our Carrick design most closely mimics the color of other concrete surfaces, however the polished surface does make it glossy and smooth, The benefit however, is that this polished treatment ensures that our product remains nonporous and therefore stain resistant to spills from coffee, tea, and wine if cleaned promptly and cared for properly.

• Colin
    7 years ago

I'm interested in hearing from people about their experiences with Dekton counters. I just bought the Enzo/Calacatta pattern from HD, and am nervous about "Chipgate." I'd also like some feedback in terms of look/feel. I don't want something that looks like laminate...

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    7 years ago

colinswenson:

I just saw a chipped sintered edge on a display at the KBIS show in Orlando. Since it has to be mitered and mitering is inherently "chippy", I'd see if your fabricator couldn't rabbet your edges instead. Either way, neither can be profiled which lowers the chances of chipping. Repairing chips in sintered inconspicuously is more difficult than estone or granite.

Looking and feeling like laminate is very subjective.

• PRO
    MJH Construction Corp.
    7 years ago

POOR QUALITY CRACKS EASILY NO CUSTOMER SUPPORT.

MY DEKTON STONE CHIPPED 2 DAYS AFTER INSTALLATION NOT FROM IMPACT JUST BY PUTTING DOWN GLASSWARE THAT TOUCHED EDGE. THEY DO NOT WANT TO COVER IT UNDER WARRANTY. FROM THE LITTLE RESEARCH ONLINE AND FROM CUSTOMERS THAT HAVE IT I DID HEAR THAT IT CRACKS\CHIPS EASILY. QUALITY IS DEFINEITLY NOT AS ADVERTISED.

• fred CHIEN
    6 years ago

colinswenson, I am two days away from committing to Dekton Entzo. Saw your 1/15 post. How did it turn out for you? Please share experience.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Chipped engineered stone sink edge.

The faucet was pulled and the original "pencil" edge was re-profiled to a 3/8" round over and polished on site. You aren't doing this with sintered; you're getting a fill job which may or may not match.

• HU-925038057
    last year

5 years later, does anyone have anything new to add about their Dekton? Any issues? What about cracking?

• sabigabatini
    last year

Id like to know too. Anyone installed the Entzo (Calacatta) Dekton as a countertop? is it super artificial looking or not and how did the install go/how is it holding up??

• Nico Kauf
    11 months ago

Bump

• sam lom
    6 months ago

Dekton CRACKS under normal use, it is a flaw in the product formula and the Warranty is non existent. We had our 6 meter bench installed by Dekton recommended fabricators and installers and still no one will accept responsibility for the crack.

A great company to deal with before any money exchanges but as soon-as the job is done and there is a problem the customer service is simply Pathetic leading you on claiming they will assist but bluntly denying any responsibility.

Only buy if you like to gamble your money and are happy to do the job again later at your own cost.

• purldiver
    6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

Regarding UV stability, most (possibly all) resins and epoxies yellow over time. Dekton doesn't have any, and is thus UV stable. Dekton is an ultracompact MSS (manufactured solid stone), which is different from stone powder in resin. It is insanely hard, which means it is also hard to cut. Some people have problems with Dekton chipping, and Constantino says this is due to the fabricator not using appropriate and fresh blades, which results in invisible micro fractures that chip/break after istallation over time. Meanwhile the fabricators blame it on the Dekton. Personally I am obsessed with the look (matte, looks like real stone), but I am leary of the chipcidents and finger pointing game that ensues.