Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cosentino Dekton; significantly different than quartz

Posted by oldryder (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 9:30

I am a fabricator.

Did our 1st Dekton job recently. Dekton is a new manufactured countertop material with significantly different properties than your run of the mill quartz countertop; much denser, much more scratch resistant, and 100% UV stable.

http://www.dekton.com/usa/?gclid=CIveqvWxwr8CFYxzMgodZ0gAYA

Cosentino is spending a lot of effort to insure anyone fabricating the material can do a good job. A fabricator has to fab a demonstration project (which means he's invested in the various special tooling engineered specifically for Dekton) and get approved.

Not particularly difficult to fabricate but definitely more shop time than a typical quartz or granite due to chippy edges that have to be dealt with. Raw material cost is similar to the most expensive level of Silestone and fab costs would be more.

I'll post pics once the grill we made is completed.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cosentino Dekton; significantly different than quartz

Looking forward to it.

Unlike quartz, Dekton does not contain any resin.

And because of its resistance to abrasion/scratches and thermal shock it can be used for flooring in high traffic areas and outdoors in all weather conditions (building facades).

I wonder whether the material cost will go down over time to be more competitive with Silestone, etc.

Here is a link that might be useful: more info on Dekton

This post was edited by nosoccermom on Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 13:58

o

Solid surface can do all of those things as well--lots of cool European projects with Corian and HI-MACS used as building cladding.

Cost is also substantially less.

Would be curious if Dekton is UV stable for all colors or just lighter shades, so truly any color could be used outside.

Here is a link that might be useful: Solid Surface wall cladding

o

So Mr. Fancy Pants Architect in the video, Corian doesn't fade huh?

photo IMG_0602_zps67760090.jpg

photo IMG_0601_zpse890f775.jpg

o

Ha ha, I didn't buy that either which was why I posed that question about Dekton. And all the buildings I've seen are in white.

I really wanted an orange solid surface top for outdoor BBQ counter and/or table and I know that color will turn out like your sign above. Maybe Dekton would be able to be used in that type of way...

o

Cosentino asserts that the material is UV stable with no qualifications.

o

Thanks Oldryder. Looks like it may be a while before they have any non-neutral colors but, if and when, it could really be great for external applications.

o

"Cosentino asserts that the material is UV stable with no qualifications."

oldryder:

You are correct. Dekton would have been a much better choice for an exterior sign, but it hadn't been invented yet.

Notice the Corian seam failure at the "u" and "r". That sign was poorly detailed in so many ways.

o

Daniel Libeskind sculpture clad in Dekton

o

The graffiti artists are going to have a heck of a time tagging that thing.

o

I looked into Dekton for one small area of my kitchen (I had posted about it) that I needed a 3/4" thick countertop. I briefly considered it, but it wasn't quite the look I was going for. The light colors weren't appealing and the black had a dull finish. Plus the samples I looked at all had chipped corners which they claimed were from the other samples colliding since "only Dekton can chip Dekton". Still didn't sell me. I was quoted $150 a sq. ft. installed for Dekton.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here