Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sivyaleah

Looking at Granite Tomorrow - What Do I Need to Know?

Laurie
13 years ago

It's been a long time since I went to look at granite, 10 years at least. I can't remember what I did the last time so I could use some tips on what to expect as far as holding a slab if I find one.

Also, do I need to bring anything with me (other than my checkbook or credit card lol)? Kitchen drawings? I know I should bring my cabinet sample to match up color.

Will they let me run amuck since I don't have a clear idea of what I want other than "white" or "beige" tones? Or, do I need to come in with specific names? The only one which I know for certain that I want to see (and have already priced) is Kashmir White.

Thanks!

Comments (8)

• alwaysfixin
    13 years ago

It is really helpful to read the "Stone Information and Advice & Checklists" thread which is linked in the "Read Me if You're New to GW Kitchens" thread. The "Stone" thread covers just about everything. I'll link it directly here.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stone Information and Advice Thread

• chris45ny
    13 years ago

Bring a camera to take pics of the different slabs you like with your cabinet sample. Bring a sample of your flooring, especially important if it's not wood. Bring a marking pen so that if you find a slab you're going to purchase, you can mark your name on the back. Have fun!!

• Laurie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm going to pick out flooring after I pick the granite since it's far less important to me. I'm just going with ceramic tile, not looking for anything spectacular, just something neutral which won't compete with anything else in the kitchen.

@ Always, thanks for reminding me about that link. I'll go over there to read through it right now.

Oh and I'm grabbing a big black marker from the supply room at the office right now!

• kitchenaddict
    13 years ago

Hi siv...

So exciting! The yards we went to let us go out on our own and yes...run amuck..

I had a whole list of names of slabs that I wanted to check out. I ended up just going from slab to slab, like looking at artwork in a museum. I only referred to my list if I came across something that I thought would work, just to see if it was on the list. What I ended up with was not on my list, but what stole my heart.

Are you going to more than one slab yard? I went to 3 before I found mine.

Please post about what happens...And Good Luck!

KA:)

• e4849
    13 years ago

1. Bring any samples of cabinet, flooring, that you plan to use.

2. Bring a camera and a notepad. Make notes about the photos and write down the name and size of the slabs.

3. Bring your kitchen drawings, with dimensions. Most kitchens will need two slabs for the entire countertop Measure the general linear feet of countertop and the size of any island to give the granite yard a better idea of whether you need one or two.

4. Have a general idea about whether you want drama or movement or would prefer a more uniform stone pattern.

5. Ask about cracks or flaws. Stay away from those with big crystals in them, or big mica-like pieces, they shatter like glass when being cut and can be unpleasantly fragile.

5. Don't be afraid to "go outside of the box". You may find something truly inspiring that wasn't your initial thought. I'm convinced my honed granite is the most beautiful thing on the planet, yet I went in thinking I was going to want a polished surface.

• Laurie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks so far!

I already know I want something "quiet", little movement. My initial plan had been to use Ceasarstone in a honed finish, but I'm not quite sold on it yet, hence my visit to the stone yard. I also know I'm looking for light colors; white or tan/beige and, possibly not want polished this time around.

I know my rocks pretty well. I've been working for architects for over 30 years and we always have samples of various stones in the office. Just the other day I impressed one of my co-workers when I walked by and off-handidly told him the name of the granite he was holding. He couldn't believe I knew it lol.

At the moment, I'm only going to one yard because most are only open mornings on the weekends around me, and I can't take time off on weekdays right now. Going to make the most of it!

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Everyone had great ideas.
    I will add.

HAVE FUN!!!!

~boxerpups

• Laurie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks!

The best part is taking my BF, who has never been to one of these places before. I think he's going to be overwhelmed :p