Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
penguinmarc

Reduce length of Kobe range hood chimney?

penguinmarc
10 years ago

I bought a Kobe range hood (RA-092 Series) whose chimney section, alas, turns out to be three inches too long to permit the hood to be installed at the recommended height. My ceiling is 7.5 feet. I bought the hood from an over-stock company and the carpenter has already opened the box, so I cannot easily return it at this point.

I'm thinking of having a metal shop simply cut the chimney to reduce its length by three inches. The chimney has two parts, an outer and inner, that slide to permit adjustment of the length. Both pieces would have to be cut.

In principle it seems like this should be pretty straightforward. I even thought about doing it myself with an angle grinder or similar tool, but my carpenter is advising against it. A local metal shop is saying they can do it for about $50.

The alternative is simply to install it as is and have the bottom of the hood be at approximately 63-64 inches from the floor. The hood is only 20.5 inches deep so we probably could live with this if necessary.

Any relevant experiences or advice to relate?

Many thanks.

Comments (5)