Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
starfish24_gw

Banquette Cushion Questions -- nats-md or others?

starfish24
14 years ago

Our new corner kitchen banquette (design based on kitchenkelly's terrificly helpful sketches) has quickly become preferred seating for kids and company, and it's time to get some cushions! I'd love advice on what would be best, in terms of comfort, looks and value and also where to get these cushions made. Specifically, is a seat cushion enough, with throw pillows for the back (or too much adjusting required)? Would the seat cushions attach to the wood seat? If I get a back cushion also, how does it stay put? (I hear velcro is not strong enough.) Pictures would be great.

Nats-md, if you're around, we also are in the DC area, so I'd love to know who recently made yours (and would love pics).

Thanks all.

Comments (11)

• bostonpam
    14 years ago

I'm going to do the same thing and I am interested in the responses. I was thinking seat cushions made with outdoor material to take the abuse of kids and spills. Did you angle your back and if so, what angle? I thought a straight back would not be as comfortable. Also I thought pillows might just end up on the floor. Kitchen chairs don't have padded backing so I thought pillows would not be needed. Finally, our architect wants a ledge between the windows and the bench so that a heating vent can go in. What did you do? thanks!

• rubyfig
    14 years ago

I don't have any in this house, but I made a set in the past. The best way to have them stay put: Upholster a piece of plywood (padded) cut slightly smaller than your benchtop and screw it on from the underside of the (flip top) seat. Throw pillows for the back are nice and easy to change/adjust for comfort.

Bostonpam: the vent is easy, just bring the backs (and seat) forward and run it behind (or you can have it run under the seats at floor level)..

• starfish24
    Original Author
    14 years ago

bostonpam~
    Our back is angled. It is 16" tall and sticks out 1" from the wall at the top and 3.25" from the wall at the seat. It has indeed been quite comfortable to all for the past 6 months, so I don't necessarily think a fixed back cushion is needed. Also, you might consider angling from the seat down to the floor (our seat is 16.5" off of floor; bottom extends 20" from wall, and top of seat extends 24" from wall). We do have a vent running directly under the seat on one side -- no need to pull it away from wall (that spot is everyone's favorite when it's freezing outside and the heat is on :)).

Outdoor fabric is a must -- I use that on my regular dining chair cushions as well. I did check out cushionsource but was hoping to find a local place to get these made so that I could use my own fabric. And the cushion thickness discussion on the other link is interesting, mom2reese. I was planning to get 3" cushions, but that seems too thin now.

rubyfig: only one side of our banquette flips up -- I can't even get under the other side. Bummer. I guess if I get two cushions that fit together precisely, they won't move around much when folks sit on them.

• kitchenkelly
    14 years ago

I got samples of Crypton fabric. It seems very durable but have yet to order any. The prints are very fun.

Here is a link that might be useful: crypton fabric

• gglks
    14 years ago

i also used outdoor fabric....2 young boys and we always have kids at our house. that is the first place they pile in to eat! we have a slightly angled back and do not have a cushion on the backs. it is very comfortable. i just had cushions made with zippers so i could remove for cleaning if necessary. they are not attached and i don't really have a problem with them moving around too much. the throw pillows (mostly for decor) do get moved around quite a bit when the kids pile in, but it's not really a big deal.....

• starfish24
    Original Author
    14 years ago

gglks -- What thickness are your cushions (and are you happy with that size)? Also, who did you have make them -- an online source or local upholsterer? Thanks for the picture.

kelly -- Do you have a plan for your cushions as well, or are you just collecting fabric right now? (Have not yet made it to that step, since i'm trying to coordinate with not-yet-determined rug and window treatments in morning room.) BTW, thank you for your prior detailed postings!

• nats-md
    14 years ago

Hey starfish, sorry I've been away for awhile --

We got bench cushions , 2 on each side (about 40 inches long each) 3 inches thick. They're upholstered w/sunbrella outdoor fabric (good for kids). They're striped and I think look great -- I'll try to post a picture later. I ordered some extra fabric and was trying to figure out what to do w/the backs, but may end up doing nothing. We just got one throw pillow, but maybe will make a few more with the fabric, I don't think the seats need back cushions (they're a lot like gglks above).

Oh- we ordered them online, they have zippers so they can be washed. I think the website was benchcushionsource.com. It was out of Alabama and the bill is from "Online Commerce Group". I think the cost was a little over $100 per cushion (which is about half of the cost of a local store doing it).

• starfish24
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, nats. I got a rough quote from Calico Corners and from a local place I have used for many other cushions and was surprised how much they both estimated. Something about the high cost of foam due to the cost of petroleum . . . . Have been hesitant about ordering online because I've been worried about fabric selection, but maybe I'll just use those custom fabrics for the throw pillows and window treatments.

By the way, are your cushions welted and are you happy with the 3" thickness?

• gglks
    14 years ago

starfish, our cushions are also 3 inches thick. i think that is the norm for seat cushions. we found the name of a local guy......a retiree who use to work for an upholstry shop. he was dirt cheap, reliable and did a great job. calico corners will be high i'm sure. try to look around, ask around, or go to a fabric store (like joann fabrics). sometimes they have a list of local seamstresses who do these kind of jobs "on the side".

• shelayne
    14 years ago

I'm watching this thread as well, because we will be coming to that point, soon. I have a seamstress friend that offered to make the cushions for me, and I am just trying to figure out thickness and fabric ideas.

Thanks for all the info!

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH